PDA

View Full Version : castaic 4-25

jim532
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
We hit castaic on Saturday in the rental boat, I guess we were some of the lucky few because eventually got too windy and they stopped renting boats out.
First stop was a spot on the ski arm that has been recently productive, but with the wind and the current it was difficult to stay in one place with the coffee can anchor. Fished and got nada.

Next headed over to the fishing arm and found an area that sheltered us from the wind. Shortly after my friend caught a bass on a castaic Catch22 trout pattern swimbait, the fish seemed to have bigger eyes than stomach because he was just a little bit bigger than the bait.

Next I hooked up on a bass dropshotting an Aaron's magic roboworm
this was my first drop shot fish, thanks to the adivce from some FNN members.
Fished a while longer for nada, had a lot of followers on th Spro BBZ shad but none would hit. Got a few hits on a couple spinner baits too, but none committed.
We decided to head back and return the boat and with the wind and water conditions it felt like we were out in the ocean as the boat struggled to get back.
Went home put the bass gear away and grabbed the trout gear and hit up secret fishing hole for a few wild trout. All in all it was a great day fish'n.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/jim532/IMG_0121.jpg

KID-FISH
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Nice bass, I was up there myself and got the skunk...did see a couple of boaters land some nice bass out of Elizabeth Canyon and one of them was huge...heard him say it was probably a 7 pounder. I guess there was a bass tournament on saturday, lots of bass fishermen there.
Wind was crazy, I couldn't stay on the fish either, especially with the anchors those rentals have.

No skunk for you though.

KF

thepuma
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Great Report! Thanks for sharing.. You are on the shore in that picture. Did you get off of the boat to fish for awhile?
Congrats on the fish. Keep em coming!

jim532
04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
ya beached the boat once we got to that area, figured it we be easier to fish this area from the shore.

DEADROOTS
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
It was a great day out in book! Thanks 4 reporting.

EdSakabu
04-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Next time when it's like that and there are shad about (you were probably seeing shad boiling?) try throwing a small silver kastmaster (1/12 - 1/8 oz) you can kill 'em with those in the fish arm.

Good luck.

BingJr
04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
by the shoreline you can definitely tell the water is falling fast.

jim532
04-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Next time when it's like that and there are shad about (you were probably seeing shad boiling?) try throwing a small silver kastmaster (1/12 - 1/8 oz) you can kill 'em with those in the fish arm.

Good luck.
No boils, but I did consider throwing a kastmaster because most of the lures I had were intended for larger model fish.
I tossed a Blue Fox Vibrax (brown trout colored) a few times and got couple strikes though.