PDA

View Full Version : Carp fishing tips please!

Ifishtoolittle
04-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Does anyone here on the board pursue these guys or have at least incidentally caught one before. I'm interested in catching these guys after seeing a massive school of 10-20lbrs at DVL. I tried some bread and realized that they needed to have a very well presented bait after I casted right in front of them. If anyone here knows how to catch they suckas can you offer me some tips. Thanks!

-Ifishtoolittle

El Weirdo
04-26-2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.carpecarpio.com/carptips.html

http://www.carp-usa.info/

fish4keep
04-26-2009, 03:18 PM
just from seeing them, carp are more solitary or double. the only time i see them school up is for an orgy (mating). when they are doing that, it's tough to get them to bite...........

Ifishtoolittle
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
http://www.carpecarpio.com/carptips.html

http://www.carp-usa.info/

Great info El Wierdo thanks!

Ifishtoolittle
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
just from seeing them, carp are more solitary or double. the only time i see them school up is for an orgy (mating). when they are doing that, it's tough to get them to bite...........

I guess, but the carp I saw that day kept crusing near the Bass beds.

LunkerLover
04-26-2009, 07:28 PM
my grandpa used to dip his carp bread/dough balls into vanilla extract... he MURDERED carp all his life

Manny
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
These tips worked for me.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=16013

Liteliner
04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I guess, but the carp I saw that day kept crusing near the Bass beds.

Hey if the carp are cruising slow on the bottom they will bite. If they are just all floopin on top your out of luck.:LOL: Kidding. If your on land get some nice polarized glasses and go stalk them. If its nice and sunny your chances of running into carp in 2-6 ft of water are very good. Carp are very spookish and line shy so think ninja. Look for the ones that are swimmin along slowly on the bottom. Those are the biters.... I would go with 4-6 pound test and just a split shot but if you can flyline the bait then even better. I've found that the carp are willing to take 8# flourocarbon readily too so you might wanna get that if you dont wanna lose alot of fish.

I have always done well on carps in bigger lakes with just a few pieces of kernel corn on a hook or a cornmeal mix. Bread probably doesnt work as good on carp in big lakes as they do in small city lakes. Carp in city lakes get used to eating bread from the people feeding ducks so they look for the bread scents.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Simplyeman
04-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Hey if the carp are cruising slow on the bottom they will bite. If they are just all floopin on top your out of luck.:LOL: Kidding. If your on land get some nice polarized glasses and go stalk them. If its nice and sunny your chances of running into carp in 2-6 ft of water are very good. Carp are very spookish and line shy so think ninja. Look for the ones that are swimmin along slowly on the bottom. Those are the biters.... I would go with 4-6 pound test and just a split shot but if you can flyline the bait then even better. I've found that the carp are willing to take 8# flourocarbon readily too so you might wanna get that if you dont wanna lose alot of fish.

I have always done well on carps in bigger lakes with just a few pieces of kernel corn on a hook or a cornmeal mix. Bread probably doesnt work as good on carp in big lakes as they do in small city lakes. Carp in city lakes get used to eating bread from the people feeding ducks so they look for the bread scents.

great advice, couldnt have said it better.

Ifishtoolittle
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks! I'll take note of that info next time I see tanker carps.

Troutman65
04-28-2009, 03:53 AM
From what I have heard from some of the guys that fish for the carp is mix your dough bait up with the water at the lake your fishing. Hope this helps:Smile:

Fish Bouncer
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I catch carp all the time using corn tortillas. Just go to pollo loco and order 2 dollars worth of tortillas. Thats how i caught this big guy

Ifishtoolittle
04-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I catch carp all the time using corn tortillas. Just go to pollo loco and order 2 dollars worth of tortillas. Thats how i caught this big guy

I will take note on that.

joe man
04-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Before my father passed away he and my mom fished for carp with tons of luck. The bait that they used and swore by was cornflakes. I have only fished for carp on a couple of occasions but the cornflakes did the trick. You have to work them into a very tight ball because they do not stay on the hook very well. I never tried it but you may be able to rap them in stockings to hold them on the hook as is sometimes done with livers. Once you get the bait on just pretend you are fishing for catfish.