PDA

View Full Version : Oil?

Sparky70
04-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Anybody out there know anything ABOUT A 5.7LITER mercruiser engine?

I need to know how many Quarts of oil/and what kind/ also weight my 2003 mercruiser takes. Also what type of Oil filter does it use?

Thanks

Nessie Hunter
04-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Sparky.. I did a quick Google and found a Forum of Mercruiser, techs Q&A..

http://forums.iboats.com/MerCruiser/Oil

Some of the responses on it for the 5.7 Chev/Merc engine.....
=====================

260hp chevy 5.7L mercruiser engine:

There is no MARINE SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION oil filter for your 5.7 Mercruiser engine. There is nothing special required to make your oil filter marine ready.

There are oil filters marketed under the Mercury/Quicksilver brand...but they are not made any different than the oil filters that are sold (by the thousands) everyday for the zillions of 350 engines on the road. There are, of course, different levels of quality of oil filters (see Don's above link)...and that is the buyer's choice. But don't be confused into thinking that your marine engine REQUIRES a marine brand name...it just ain't so.

In short...if you can find an oil filter, that meets your standards, for your 5.7 engine at Walmart...use it! Don's link lists the better brands. I personally use the Mobil 1 oil filter on my Vette...and that is one of the highly rated in the link. Amsoil is also mentioned. As are several others. All available on the Walmart shelves....

That was the point of my questions. Not to "hijack" your thread...but to make you realize that you have a GM engine in your boat, and you have a 'ton' of oil filters readily on hand, just for the taking. It would have been easy for others to simply help you see, that you do not have to search 'high and low'...or special order...an oil filter for your 5.7.

Generally speaking, the Alphas (lower units) take a bit over a quart of gear lube and most engines take 5 quarts with a filter.

Put in 5 (better yet 4) run the engine to fill the filter and check the dipstick and see what it actually takes.
==================

The Oil recommendations are Varied.. And apparently the Old service manuals are updated to include newer Types of

Multi Grade oils available today....

AT our air Temps an SAE 30W Or
Merc/Quicksilver 25/40 nmma seems to be the ticket they talk about.
Also newer Synthetic Oils...??
Not sure this chart will load below?? If not you can find it in many of the Q&A in above link....

(nope it FAILED)....

Sparky70
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Tghanks Nessie,
Exactly what I thought, but wanted to make sure also I think Penzoil 30 weight might be good enough for that engine.