PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Fishing -- Japanese Internment Style

smitty99
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Found this really cool story in the LA Times today.

The internment of Japanese-Americans was a dark spot during a tumultuous era in American history. Looks like these guys made the best of it!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manzanar24-2009apr24,0,2324722.story

pasadenafishin
04-24-2009, 04:01 PM
cool, they had a booth at fred hall with all the makeshift lures they used

LunkerLover
04-24-2009, 05:12 PM
It's interesting what measures and precautions are taken during war time. I'm not saying I agree with what the administration did back then, but it is pretty cool to see how these men "survived" the camps. I'd sure like to drive up to Manzanar, park, and hike to these (I'm sure) still active streams.

RoastedBlueGill
04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
my uncle was interned at manzanar, he used to hide in a metal drum and the guys would haul it to the trash dump. from there he would go and fish the streams. the only problem was that the only way to get back in was to walk to the main gate. he was known to do this many times. i think it got to the point where they expected him to come through the gate at any time.

Darius
04-24-2009, 08:28 PM
roastedbluegill, you be sure to tell these events to your future family. The truth is during WWII, U.S. treated the American Japanese people extremely horrible. I'm not going to go to details, this is nothing but for example Walt Disney, took advantage of the Japanese people during the 40's, since the Japanese people had to leave their specifically orange groves in orange county, walt disney bought the land for cheap, and it is now Disney Land, Worlds happiest place. Another, is while they were interned in the severval camps, they were even asked to join the military, complete b.s.

DEADROOTS
04-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks!! That's a nice report!

boxl0bster
04-25-2009, 08:16 PM
roastedbluegill, you be sure to tell these events to your future family. The truth is during WWII, U.S. treated the American Japanese people extremely horrible. I'm not going to go to details, this is nothing but for example Walt Disney, took advantage of the Japanese people during the 40's, since the Japanese people had to leave their specifically orange groves in orange county, walt disney bought the land for cheap, and it is now Disney Land, Worlds happiest place. Another, is while they were interned in the severval camps, they were even asked to join the military, complete b.s.

man i didnt know that. thats bs. makes me not want to go to disneyland now...then again the nearly $70 admission price does the same thing too.