PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 trip out of Point Loma to Coronado

EastCoaster
04-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I posted early about what to prolly expect, but was now wondering if irons are working?? Like Tady lures, and if they are, what tech? Thank you.. This is only my 2nd trip in salt..

FISHINGBEE
04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
I posted early about what to prolly expect, but was now wondering if irons are working?? Like Tady lures, and if they are, what tech? Thank you.. This is only my 2nd trip in salt.. Drop iron to the bottom crank quickly. Half way up nothing let too bottom reel up quickly nothing free spool back down to bottom. Surface iron cast out far as possible reel in fast but steady motion.

FISHINGBEE

victor101
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Irons definately work.....Where to start

For rockfishing i would use Jax Jigs or diamond jigs. Drop them to the bottom...pump ur rod tip a few feet...drop it...repeat a few times...U should get bit if ur on the fish.

For yellows u can drop yo yo iron and use the same technique as for rockfishing except after pumping ur rod a few times...reel in really fast half way and drop back down. You can also throw surface Iron although I believe the Yellows are being caught on YOYO right now. On surface Iron you just cast as far as u can and retrieve. Surface will get u barracuda, bonita, yellows....whatevers on the surface.

LA Smoker
04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
From what I hear it seems to be a surface bite so either bait or surface irons for Cudas or if ur lucky yellows. Headed down there this weekend too

marc626
04-30-2009, 10:13 AM
From what I hear it seems to be a surface bite so either bait or surface irons for Cudas or if ur lucky yellows. Headed down there this weekend too

Tady 45 in blue & white and blue/chrome(IronMan 5...heavy but does the job). Reel really FAST!

EastCoaster
04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone... I didnt get any response till after the trip was over. But here is what I can tell you.. The deckhands were throwing Tady 45s in blue and white, blue and chrome. I was throwing Tady 4/0 everything was surface. I was letting my sink just a little bit before reeling it in. And the Tadys def outfished the live bait big time.. Out of the 48 cuda caught, at least 30 were on irons!!!! Plus a lot of cuda were lost with live bait!!

Ricky-Ray
04-30-2009, 12:11 PM
If your fishing for cuda's with live bait try using a circle hook. It should put the hook in the corner of it's mouth and should decrease it's chances of cutting the line. You could also add a wire leader if your fishing live bait also.

I prefer catching them on iron...it's just that much more fun.

fishtacosmmm
04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
catching them with the iron is fun but I get bored after a few fish
they attack a fast moving sardine, a wire lider is a must for Barracuda,
I lost a BIG jackpot once with a cuda that was not gaffed in time

ghetto dad
04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
If your fishing for cuda's with live bait try using a circle hook. It should put the hook in the corner of it's mouth and should decrease it's chances of cutting the line. You could also add a wire leader if your fishing live bait also.

I prefer catching them on iron...it's just that much more fun.

Yeah, that works....but what I do on the RARE times i fish bait for cudas, I use a longshank stainless hook....

GD