PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the Water Levels at Castaic (Again)

Basstaic
04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
I hit the Lagoon this afternoon and was surprised to find the wind cooperating. I fished the usual go to spots but only managed one at just under two and a half pounds.

I got off the lake at 6:45, took the boat home and put it away, and still managed to get the Friends of Castaic Lake meeting by 7:15. Living in Castaic is good!

There was some bad news at tonight’s meeting. Due to the drought, they are planning to drain the lake down by 100 feet by July in order to meet the water needs. Needless to say, this will totally mess up the fishery on the upper lake. They are going to maintain the level of the Lagoon, but you can imagine what it will be like putting a boat out on the upper at 100 feet down from where it is now.

Better enjoy the fishing now before the drain off.

http://zerolimitfishing.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=198

trashetanush
04-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh wow, that sucks. When was the last time they emptied the lake by 100 Ft before. That's a lot of water.

TroutOnly
04-22-2009, 06:55 AM
That will make the striper fishing out of control, i hope they let people park on the ramp,,,,,t/o

FishBalls
04-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Basstaic
04-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Last time the water was that low was the winter of 2006. They are talking about parking on the ramp.

Shock
04-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Last time the water was that low was the winter of 2006. They are talking about parking on the ramp.

I remember that, striper fishing was really good around that time.

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I am a "the glass is half full" kind of guy...

or in this case..........."the lake is half full"

When life gives you lemons............

catch stripers !

Hitts0n
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
That will make the striper fishing out of control, i hope they let people park on the ramp,,,,,t/o

Exactly what I was thinking ! This is a great thing ! I cant wait !

trashetanush
04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh, I thought it was a bad thing. lol. Will this effect Pyramid lake as well or is it only castaic.

karlow
04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
If they were to drop pyrimid by 25', the docks would be high and dry.
It does not seem to have the same sort of flexibility.

KP

kaneo
04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
i spoke to the police and the lifeguards today about parking on the ramp, and their answer was ABSOUTLY NOT..... too many boats and the ramp would be a mess... he said they did it only as a courtesy during the last draw down, and it was winter, with not a lot of boat traffic, he is worried a LOT of boaters will be hitting hazards in the water that are not marked to clearly.... he said there is 5 or 6 sunken boats that will be very close to being exposed... so it looks like they will need an oxygen station 1/2 way up the ramp...i can barely make it now.. lol

fishfinder
04-22-2009, 04:38 PM
i am a "the glass is half full" kind of guy...

Or in this case..........."the lake is half full"

when life gives you lemons............

Catch stripers !

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Exactly what I was thinking ! This is a great thing ! I cant wait !

During the rapid water fall...
Be prepared for another lull in the bite though till the fish aclimate to their new climate...

This is actually the 3rd rapid flux since the one in 2006.

Actually the lake biological cycle has not rebounded fully for the initial downfall from the work on the dam....

If things follow their same patterns as before you'll see the bite spur then fizzle to nothing...then slam back...

we could only hope for water stability after the rapid fall otherwise were in for a long haul awaiting the re-bound.

Don't get too excited yet...

It''ll happen

Hopefully we are all treated to a healthy patterned bite b4 this occurs

CAPT'N
04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I spent some time at the lake today with lifeguards, and Lori getting ready for the Saturday event. The draw down will happen more slowly than the one in 06, or the 08 drop. The water is going to drop between now and August, at a steady rate. This is a draw by the water district, and Castaic expects NO NEW water for the foreseeable future.

Its going to be a long HOT summer at the lake. Going to be time to fish the Green Water !

Capt'n

TroutOnly
04-23-2009, 06:54 AM
I LIKE GREEN WATER,,,,,,,t/o

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-23-2009, 09:33 AM
I LIKE GREEN WATER,,,,,,,t/o
I thought it was the YELLOW SNOW that you liked !

Red Fox
04-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Oh, I thought it was a bad thing. lol. Will this effect Pyramid lake as well or is it only castaic.

No its not a bad thing. who cares about the disturbing drought conditions were having, not to mention how this draw down will hinder the spawn. :Angry:

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-23-2009, 03:43 PM
The truth of the matter is, no matter what has transpired in the past and what any indidual has experienced (including myself) the conditions will change things in an unpredictable manner....

We are simply left to "fish it out !" we as fisherman must endure, the water district doesnt care about the fishery or the fishing action for that matter...

The lake will prevail.....may take time....OR it may be on fire..
Only time will truly tell

What it is...is what it is....
It's beyond our control so we'll have to adjust....that may mean fishing somewhere else or alternative attack methods....for a while at least.

Now would be the time to familiarize oneself with the patterns the fish are going into...

the more data one can process going into all this, the better they will be able to adjust to the harsh conditions..and follow the changes closely.

most will stay at home and wait it out I'd guess....

those are not wise choices...only by 1st hand experience will anyone cash in on the ever-changing bite patterns....

Otherwise...get out on the water...

We can all speculate here online for days but it won't change what will happen and it won't put anyone on fish...

We've been through this b4

lurk 182
04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
shocker, MWD funny business again. looks like i'll be renewing my annual pass at Casitas.

GeordyBass
04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
when life gives you lemons............

Catch stripers !
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

dalean08
04-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Does this lake have to be at a certain level for fire season? So they can get water out just in case?