PDA

View Full Version : Best way to use a Rapala lure?

dogg91702
04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Do you guys dip it in any scents? What is the best way to bring it in? I am going to sierra's and am looking for Brown trout.

tacklejunkie
04-21-2009, 08:31 PM
What kind of Rapala? Sinking or floating? Size?
Forget about the scent on reaction baits for trout. Easy enough to get them to bite as it is and one less mess to carry.

calico killer kevin
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Troll CD-3, 5, 7, and 9's in silver black, brown trout, rainbow trout, and firetiger.

sweetfish
04-22-2009, 08:14 AM
If fishing rivers or streams, cast to the other side and let the current bring it back to the side you are fishing on, and then do a slow retrieve. Also, you might want to get some in-line spinners like Panther Martins, Blue Fox, or Mepps.

Like Tacklejunkie said, forget the scent. Not needed at all.

dockboy
04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Floating versions for shallower water, slower currents. Countdown versions for deep water, faster current. You can do a lot with them. With the tiny little F-1 and CD-1s, and such, you can just throw it out and retieve it back with prefer good results. My favorite techinqiue is rippin the bigger back, typically at least a 7 size, usually a 9. Throw it across and slightly down current, and using sweeps and jerks of the rod tip to bring back to you, while reeling in between rips. Mix up you short and long sweeps, and give it a little rest now and then. Same idea of lakes, fish you bait with the wind (throwing into it and fishing back with it). If you choose to fish the bigger bait, 6lb test and a medium light action rod are fairly standard, and I wouldn't reccomend going below those ratings. It can be tough, but it can get you some very large browns and bows also. Best of luck and tight lines :Smile:

dogg91702
04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the replys you guys have given me some good info, I will see what I can do with what I got. Trial and error has always been the best way for me to learn, thanks again and good luck to everyone going up for the opener.

billy b
04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
to catching?

tunafisherman
04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
You may also want to try Rapala fat rap and shad rap trolling these lures always work for bigger trout.