PDA

View Full Version : New Setup

britheguy
04-21-2009, 06:57 PM
What do you guys think? Just got the reel today from Wildhorse1966, Great seller by the way!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/good1235/DSC_0078.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/good1235/DSC_0083.jpg

Oh yeah and we will be fishing me and a couple of guys this weekend, just some harbor stuff. If you are a kid and wanna fish with some really good fishermen shoot me a PM!

ghetto dad
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
What do you guys think? Just got the reel today from Wildhorse1966, Great seller by the way!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/good1235/DSC_0078.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/good1235/DSC_0083.jpg

NICE HOMIE!!!! Im jealous!!!!!!!

GD

sansou
04-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Go knock'em dead Bri! Tres chic!

Those SX's are a little tricky to learn how to distance cast without birdsnesting at first (at least for me)....but there are tricks around it.

hakaveli
04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
NICE HOMIE!!!! Im jealous!!!!!!!

GD

Nice i had a setup exactly like that before i got rid of it

calico killer kevin
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice setup. Mag that thing and you will notice a big difference. Wanted
that rod for mine until I found Rainshadow Swimbait blanks.

bsp
04-21-2009, 08:59 PM
That will handle anything 1/2 days and most of what 3/4 days can toss at you! A very nice set up, and I am sure you will slay a lot of fish with it. That would make a fun surf shark rod too as long as you didn't drop it.

CKC: Any comments on the Rainshadows? I know a few swimbait guys like them, but I heard several guys at Bass-A-Thon calling them Rain Shatters.

ghetto dad
04-21-2009, 09:03 PM
yo...DONT forget bri....the ONLY time you adjust the drag on those is when the reel is ALL THE WAY OUT OF GEAR......you fish with them on strike also.....the full is when you need "a little more" do not EVER adjust that knob in gear....ESPECIALLY on a fish!!!!!

GD

imd12nv
04-21-2009, 09:49 PM
looks good that rod matches the reel perfect

britheguy
04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
yo...DONT forget bri....the ONLY time you adjust the drag on those is when the reel is ALL THE WAY OUT OF GEAR......you fish with them on strike also.....the full is when you need "a little more" do not EVER adjust that knob in gear....ESPECIALLY on a fish!!!!!

GD

Thanks man,

I've been careful about that, and I never knew the drag knob went all the way around. I found myself at full and in free spool almost :Shock:, found that one out fast.

Yeah and Kevin, I've heard good things about the Rainshadow blanks, what do you like about them?

Ricky-Ray
04-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Killer setup. It will definitely handle anything from a 1/2 day up to a multiday trip. Now go out there and get some fish blood on it. :)

victor101
04-22-2009, 01:11 AM
NICE! I have the exact same setup except my reel is in "white gold"....

calico killer kevin
04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
That will handle anything 1/2 days and most of what 3/4 days can toss at you! A very nice set up, and I am sure you will slay a lot of fish with it. That would make a fun surf shark rod too as long as you didn't drop it.

CKC: Any comments on the Rainshadows? I know a few swimbait guys like them, but I heard several guys at Bass-A-Thon calling them Rain Shatters.
I have the ISWB945. It's 7'10" 15-30lb and for 2-6oz swimbaits. Rainshadow makes some great blanks and are cheaper than Phenix blanks. This blank is great. For the length and strength, it's hard to beat.

Thanks man,

I've been careful about that, and I never knew the drag knob went all the way around. I found myself at full and in free spool almost :Shock:, found that one out fast.

Yeah and Kevin, I've heard good things about the Rainshadow blanks, what do you like about them?
The blank that I bought is the ISWB945 and its diameter is so thin, but it has a whole heck of a lot of lifting power. Tosses swimbaits up to 7-8oz fine, but I don't regularly toss anything that big anyways. I think this blank really rivals that of Phenix and for the price, can't be beat. If you're looking for a swimbait/saltwater rod, this fits the bill perfectly.

samgann93
04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
nice setup. gotta love the blue

:EyePop:

bsp
04-22-2009, 08:51 PM
I have the ISWB945. It's 7'10" 15-30lb and for 2-6oz swimbaits. Rainshadow makes some great blanks and are cheaper than Phenix blanks. This blank is great. For the length and strength, it's hard to beat.

The blank that I bought is the ISWB945 and its diameter is so thin, but it has a whole heck of a lot of lifting power. Tosses swimbaits up to 7-8oz fine, but I don't regularly toss anything that big anyways. I think this blank really rivals that of Phenix and for the price, can't be beat. If you're looking for a swimbait/saltwater rod, this fits the bill perfectly.

$25 cheaper compared to a similar Phenix really isn't that much. $105 vs. $130 and $115 vs. $140. That's enough for a Hudd to go with your new rod, but I was expecting them to be a little cheaper for some reason. G. Loomis and Phenix also have a no hassle straight across fee option in addition to the lifetime warranty unlike Batson.

Still, I'll check one out if I see somebody using one. It's always nice to have more options, and it sounds like a quality product. How much did it cost to get wrapped by the way, and what components did you use? Also, how sensitive is it?

calico killer kevin
04-22-2009, 11:39 PM
$25 cheaper compared to a similar Phenix really isn't that much. $105 vs. $130 and $115 vs. $140. That's enough for a Hudd to go with your new rod, but I was expecting them to be a little cheaper for some reason. G. Loomis and Phenix also have a no hassle straight across fee option in addition to the lifetime warranty unlike Batson.

Still, I'll check one out if I see somebody using one. It's always nice to have more options, and it sounds like a quality product. How much did it cost to get wrapped by the way, and what components did you use? Also, how sensitive is it?
Everything about it rivals the Phenix blanks. I agree $25 isn't much, but I threw it out there. Actually, I'm in the process of wrapping it myself. Alps guides, Fuji ACS or ECS(can't remember and too lazy to check), X-Shrink EVA, split grip, Blue and Black themed rod.

britheguy
04-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Everything about it rivals the Phenix blanks. I agree $25 isn't much, but I threw it out there. Actually, I'm in the process of wrapping it myself. Alps guides, Fuji ACS or ECS(can't remember and too lazy to check), X-Shrink EVA, split grip, Blue and Black themed rod.

Sounds nice man.

When you are done, or close throw some pictures up!

calico killer kevin
04-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Sounds nice man.

When you are done, or close throw some pictures up!
No doubt. I will actually try this time. I usually take pictures, but am too
lazy to try and get them into photobucket and all that junk.

bsp
04-23-2009, 07:45 PM

That sounds very good. Post a pic of the 1st bass you catch on it. That's is awesome that you wrap your own rods. I don't have the time to do it, but hope to learn this summer. Are you doing an acid wrap by any chance? Let us know how sensitive it is when you are done wrapping, and what your on the water impressions are.

calico killer kevin
04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
That sounds very good. Post a pic of the 1st bass you catch on it. That's is awesome that you wrap your own rods. I don't have the time to do it, but hope to learn this summer. Are you doing an acid wrap by any chance? Let us know how sensitive it is when you are done wrapping, and what your on the water impressions are.
I will for sure. First bass will probably be a saltwater specimen due to the fact that I probably won't have it done in time to effectively throw swimbaits at lmb's.

No, I'm not doing an Acid Wrap because acid rods tend to not cast as far and since this is gonna be a primarily casting rod, not gonna work. If it were a straight vertical fishing rod or a short distance rod, then I would acid wrap it.

I'm gonna match it with either an SX and use it in saltwater only until swimbait time again, or I'm gonna match it with a Curado 300D.

bsp
04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
No, I'm not doing an Acid Wrap because acid rods tend to not cast as far and since this is gonna be a primarily casting rod, not gonna work. If it were a straight vertical fishing rod or a short distance rod, then I would acid wrap it.

Where the heck did you hear that? All the acids (7 or 8) I have seen got normal distances, and the general consensus seems to be that there are no real disadvantages.

sansou
04-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Where the heck did you hear that? All the acids (7 or 8) I have seen got normal distances, and the general consensus seems to be that there are no real disadvantages.

That's my understanding as well (no disadvantage to spiral). Hoping to get some meaningful time-on-water this summer with a couple spiral wraps....maybe it'll change my opinion, or maybe not.

calico killer kevin
04-23-2009, 11:08 PM
I have casted two identical(though it can never be absolutely identical) setups with Avets and traditional out casted acid every single time. The average difference was a good 13-14 yards. The difference isn't too much, but the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. For my next bass casting rod, I'm going with micro guides.

bsp
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I have casted two identical(though it can never be absolutely identical) setups with Avets and traditional out casted acid every single time. The average difference was a good 13-14 yards. The difference isn't too much, but the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. For my next bass casting rod, I'm going with micro guides.

I am startled to hear that because one of the acids I saw was an 8ft fly lining rod. That guy was able to cast a sardine just as far out as everybody else with similar conventionals. What's funny too is that a lot of rod builders I have talked with said that there was no difference. Maybe it wasn't wrapped well? If it was wrapped correctly, then I'll have to check out how a few more acid wraps cast before buying one of my own.

calico killer kevin
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I am startled to hear that because one of the acids I saw was an 8ft fly lining rod. That guy was able to cast a sardine just as far out as everybody else with similar conventionals. What's funny too is that a lot of rod builders I have talked said that there was no difference. Maybe it wasn't wrapped well? If it was wrapped correctly, then I'll have to check out some more acid wraps.
Like I said, no two setups can be the same, but this was as close as it gets. Side by side, I noticed a difference, whether small or large, on every single cast. Maybe I need to cast a different way with the Acid?

bsp
04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Like I said, no two setups can be the same, but this was as close as it gets. Side by side, I noticed a difference, whether small or large, on every single cast. Maybe I need to cast a different way with the Acid?

I have no clue in that case. I have seen guys use acid wrapped rods with no ill effects like you mentioned, but they evidently exist. From reading articles online and by talking to various people who have acid rods, they all mentioned that acid wraps, when correctly done, get the same distance as conventional. They also mentioned the plus sides, like reduced weight, lower guide count, less double footed guides, and no blank torsion when fighting a big fish.

I have only used other people's acid wraps, and I have never experienced a decrease in casting distance. One of them was a swimbait rod, and using it is the reason I am really considering getting my own custom, acid wrap swimbait rod. The lack of a warranty on the rod is the only thing that is making me think about not doing it.

My advice, if you want to get a second, more qualified, would be to contact some of the guys who have built and fished with a lot of acid wraps. I know there are a few on Tackle Tour, like Matt Davis, and I am sure they could do a lot better job than I could of figuring out what may have caused the decrease in distance.