PDA

View Full Version : SMALL,smallmouth frenzy!

FINSMACKDOWN
04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Went up to cachuma this weekend for the trout derby.Boy were we ill prepared for the trout scene there. Sat day one 6am to 8am drifting with crawlers at the dam for nada!(it usualy kills em in the summer).start trolling bout 830,for 1 strike.We didnt have lead core and couldnt get deep enough. Many fish caught on the lead core troll by other boaters. 10am im reduced to power bait for nada!
Back to camp for lunch,followed by beer and horseshoes.
about 4pm i go back to lake to try some bass fishing DS style.(not seeing many trout caught) robo twirl tail workin and BAM! A good fighter...pops off five feet from shore looked like a SMALLY. 5 mins later BAM its a dink and again it pops off close to shore....I switch hooks,and BAM another one lost 5 feet from shore....WHATS UP!!!! Angry, I jam back to camp pick up little Bro and some other hooks,and we land 4 in about half an hour.
Sunday,I Arise Head pounding ,too much JD. I stumble to lake round 9 am, I already gave up on trout. I'll take bass any day even dinks! Hooked up 9 times this morning till bout 10 am. If you could find shade you would find fish,(wish i got up sooner)as soon as sun was over head bite died! they were all small , but lots of fun!

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Nice work on getting on some consistent action, even if they were small fish, remember Smallmouth dont get big like Largemouths either...

Nice work, SMB are great fighters, I'll bet they all put up a nice scrap..

What size and brand hook were U runnin' ?

Drive that steel HOME on them suckas !........"let 'em feel the steel !"

I run Gamagakstu #1 or 1/0 dropshot hooks when I dropshot....they feel that sucka when it drives into 'em.

Anyway...Congrats on the catches....you didnt REALLY want trout anyway.

Looks like a good time !
Good work,
Gary

FINSMACKDOWN
04-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I was using a small bait hook.The gamakatsu was what i switched to,i forgot them in the truck...thanks for the pre trip pointers,theese were our first dropshot fish.
Nice work on getting on some consistent action, even if they were small fish, remember Smallmouth dont get big like Largemouths either...

Nice work, SMB are great fighters, I'll bet they all put up a nice scrap..

What size and brand hook were U runnin' ?

Drive that steel HOME on them suckas !........"let 'em feel the steel !"

I run Gamagakstu #1 or 1/0 dropshot hooks when I dropshot....they feel that sucka when it drives into 'em.

Anyway...Congrats on the catches....you didnt REALLY want trout anyway.

Looks like a good time !
Good work,
Gary

pokerface12
04-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear about the slow bite on the trout, but I rather catch smb anyways. Better fighters imo. Thanks for the report.

Panfish Junior
04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I gotta learn how to fish for SMB someday. Looks like you had a lot fun out there. Good job!

kpn
04-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Great job on the small mouth Jason. They are sure fun to catch.

KPN.