PDA

View Full Version : Dobyns 806HSB

samgann93
04-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Im looking at getting a new rod to throw my bbz's with. i also manna be able to throw punkers, hudds, 3:16 wake baits.... etc

how does the dobyns 806HSB do? ive heard some great stuff about it. any fnn feadback?

how does it perform against a gloomis or damiki and such. (ive already read tackletour.com's review)

Thanks,
S.G

dockboy
04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Designed by Mike Long, one of the best big bass fisherman and swim bait fisherman in the world. It is an excellent rod for big, heavy baits. It could throw a BBZ ok, better for Hudds or Stocker Trouts. I prefer a big of a lighter rod for a treble hooked bait, more give for less stick. The Okuma Guide Select 7'11" H model is great hard bait stick, as are the Shimano Crucials. As you said, the Loomis series they came out with this year are great too. For Punkers.....Dobyns 795 ML. Best "big" topwater bait (Punkers) ever made IMO

bayfisher86
04-20-2009, 03:21 PM
i have that same rod..dobyns champion series 806hsb, ive had it about a month i use it to throw 5 to 7in swimbaits with in saltwater..mainly calico fishing etc.... ive thrown my punker on it and its sweet...i thinkit will work reel nice for my hudds too.. it might be just a lil light for the bbz...but i love mine for what its worth

samgann93
04-20-2009, 03:42 PM
ive heard it can throw a bbz a mile and i should get it over a gloomis... i was like HUH???

should i get a dobyns over a loomis???

calico killer kevin
04-20-2009, 04:14 PM
The Dobyns is a great rod and is a better value than the G.Loomis, but
if value is what you want, check out the Okuma Guide Select Rods.

dockboy
04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
The Dobyns is a great rod and is a better value than the G.Loomis, but
if value is what you want, check out the Okuma Guide Select Rods.

well said. :Smile:

samgann93
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
i had an okuma and i wasnt all that impressed. great price but i dodnt like the feel.

hookup
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
dude i got the dobyns mag heavy with the cork and the black foam. the thing is sick for the real big baits like the bbz, hudds and i throw the punker on mine with 25 pound test and it work fine.but im workin on a rod for my punkers and triple trouts. there real nice rods.

fishaddicted
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
i have a shimano crucial swimbait series and it seems to get the job done fairly well. i fish hudds bbzs punkers ac plugs etc.....

fishntime
04-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Ive got a 807magheavy and I have absolutley no complaints. It tosses my BBZ s and Hudds with no problem.

GoBlue
04-23-2009, 11:52 PM
As an owner of the 806 HSB I believe its the most versatile swimbait rod that gary makes. Note that there are two versions of the dobyns 806. The one you are referring to, the HSB, is not the mike long version... the same blank, but gary made the handle shorter to make it easier to work topwater baits without a long rod tip jabbing into your stomach.

The other version, the 806 ML swimbait has an extraordinarily long handle... about 16-18 inches i believe? ive heard its hands down the best casting swimbait rod made due to the extra leverage from the long handle. however, its seems to be preferred by huck and wind hudd throwers, not for baits like the punker, wake jr. or leviathan.

you need to feel both to see what you prefer. it was an easy decision for me to get the 806 HSB because it can fish most any swimbait... if you're looking for one swimbait rod, you cant go wrong with it.

samgann93
04-24-2009, 07:17 AM
As an owner of the 806 HSB I believe its the most versatile swimbait rod that gary makes. Note that there are two versions of the dobyns 806. The one you are referring to, the HSB, is not the mike long version... the same blank, but gary made the handle shorter to make it easier to work topwater baits without a long rod tip jabbing into your stomach.

The other version, the 806 ML swimbait has an extraordinarily long handle... about 16-18 inches i believe? ive heard its hands down the best casting swimbait rod made due to the extra leverage from the long handle. however, its seems to be preferred by huck and wind hudd throwers, not for baits like the punker, wake jr. or leviathan.

you need to feel both to see what you prefer. it was an easy decision for me to get the 806 HSB because it can fish most any swimbait... if you're looking for one swimbait rod, you cant go wrong with it.

thanks i appreciate it. i think im gonna go with the shorter handle cause i wanna be able to work those topwaters too

bassassassin
04-24-2009, 08:53 AM
the okuma 711 extra heavy is a sick rod for all swimbaits

GoBlue
04-24-2009, 09:26 AM
absolutely nothing wrong with the okumas, especially for the price... but the extra cash for the 806 HSB is well worth it in my opinion.

I have three other swimmy rods, including a loomis and its the one I use the most.