PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Luck at BBL

suiso
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
We just got back from Big Bear for a little fishing and shooting. I went with by buddy from work, Paul. He has never been fishing before mind you. We fished Saturday morning at my Windy Point Spot. I managed 1 and he caught his first one! Sure it was a dink, but his first fish ever. Both were orange/red meat baby salmon. We bailed at about 10:30 as the wind started to pick up.

We then headed back to the Cabin for lunch and a power nap. At about 3:30 we headed to Juniper for a little evening bite. We are not there more than 10 minutes when one of my bobbers goes flying. I reel in a nice holdover. My friend Paul gets bit on a hatchery, white meat, dink.

After about an hour of no activity Paul’s bobber does a little dance. He picks it up and swings. After a couple cranks on the reel I notice a big bend on the rod and then it freight trains him. I go over and check the drag to see if it is set. He gets a few more cranks and it rolls 15ft in front of us. I freaking trip seeing how big it was and get all nervous. I so want this newbie to catch it. It does a nice big run after that and a couple smaller ones after coming to the net. We take her next door to the Community Market to get her weighed. She came in at 7lb 7oz on the scale at the meat market. This is definitely no Irvine Lake cow that is just dead weight.

We later filleted her up and noticed that she was actually turning pink. Some of the fins were growing back slowly. I think she might have been a holdover from last years Fall Trout Derby. Now my buddy Paul is all stoked and wants to go up there again. Good! Another fish junky hooked on the drug.

Late,
Woody

Me with stringer
http://hookerbarge.com/images/RyanStringer.jpg

Paul's Slug
http://hookerbarge.com/images/PaulsLunker.jpg

basscatcher
04-19-2009, 09:04 PM
WOW thats one nice fish. way to go :Thumbs Up:

God Bless

basscatcher

GdHkSet1
04-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Thats a nice beast out of BBL, congrats to the newbie.... He's hooked now, fishing fever begins..

MAVERICK27
04-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Nice fish! I'm going this weekend, maybe you can PM me some tips...