PDA

View Full Version : Reds Meadow/ Sotcher-Where to go???

LBanales
06-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Going up to pitch a tent at Convict with the family next week(6/20 - 6/24), and I heard the road down to Reds Meadow/ Devils Postpile is open. Usually when we go, the road is closed. Any confirmation of the road being open? Just wondering if anybody has any good info on the bite down there, both lakes and streams. Anything that is a must see/ check out/ wet a line while we're down there? Any help would be great.

I tried this question in the general section and decided to try here to see if I had any luck. I know it is not a report, and apologize.

sierraslam
06-18-2007, 07:02 AM
The road is open to Sotcher / Reds meadow. Some friends of mine fished the river and did really well with panther martins, T. Boyants, and rooster tails. I'm sure that starkweather and Sotcher will be stocked for the kids to catch easy fish. Try Rockcreek Lake off the sandy beach by the boat docks. I always do well there with the kids. good fishin!

Bashman
06-18-2007, 12:20 PM
That area is always great for fishing. If going with kids, Starkweather may be a better choice. If no kids, I would hit Sotcher lake. If you look carefully, you will see some bald eagles. The road is open, however you much drive down by 7 or 7:30 to avoid taking the shuttle. Also be advised you will pay on you way out. Unless you wait until 7:30 pm. Good luck.

IK13
06-18-2007, 01:02 PM
I think I saw on a tourist info brochure about the Devil's Postpile that the shuttle is now mandatory ?

High Sierra Junkie
06-18-2007, 07:59 PM
From the Devils Postpile NPS Site:

All visitors, regardless if they use the mandatory shuttle system, are camping, or drive their own vehicle, must pay a transportation fee in order to enter Reds Meadow Valley. Once paid, this fee is valid for the duration of your stay. The U.S. Forest Service accepts cash, check, or credit card in U.S. Dollars for the payment of this fee.

Exceptions to the shuttle system are those visitors who drive into the Valley before 7:00am or after 7:30pm, or who are overnight guests of Reds Meadow Resort, who are camping within the Reds Meadow Valley, who are hauling stock trailers, whose vehicles are carrying small watercraft for use in the lakes, or who can provide proof of physical handicap.

Trust me, they will be there ready to collect their money at 7:00 AM and they will be there until 7:30 PM, sometimes even lingering around a little later hoping to catch their victims coming up in their cars. They want to collect their fees! Sorry for sounding so negative, but I am totally against having to pay additional fees to use my forest.

As far as fishing goes, my friend were at Starkweather this weekend and they did fair. Friends wife caught a 5 lb bow and they had several kids with them who all caught several stockers on lures. Sorry, I don't have all the details because I only talked to them for a few minutes. They didn't see any bald eagles this time but they did see three coyotes who were a little too brave for their britches. They had to throw a few rocks at them to keep them away.

LBanales
06-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to a great time. I heard the weather is hotter than usual right now. Should be fun....like always. This trip is mostly for the family. The "boys" get together every year and we hit the opener. This trip, I usually get my fishing done in the mornings before they wake up, and in the evening. During the day I just tie knots, untangle lines, get lines un-stuck, take pictures, and pound alot of beer. :beer: