PDA

View Full Version : NPH 4/18 Morning

MikeAce00
04-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi All,

I rented a skiff today with the main goal of getting my niece on her first fish. We got there at about 7am loaded up and off we went. My buddy Landon joined us so it was nice having helping tying gear and such.

Beautiful day, water was clear in most parts but seemed to have more of a stain on the northern side of balboa.

I tied Little Megan up with a carolina and put on some cut anchovy for her. I thought that would be her best chance of getting a fish with limited effort. Meanwhile myself and Landon were throwing plastics.

For Megan, 5 seconds afters every cast she would tell me she has a fish and needs to check her bait. The strong drift seemed to be the recurring culprit tugging on her line. I decided to give the dropshot a try after seeing all of the success team Wingnut and other FNN'ers seemed to have on a consistent basis in NPH.

Well I had no love on the D/S, I'm almost certain I'm doing something wrong when I D/S. Meanwhile Megan was getting no love on her cut bait and told me it was time to switch to her purple/pink roboworm. What the heck, it couldn't hurt right. I cast it out there for her and sure enough she tells me she has a fish. I'm sure its just some more eel grass but I watch anyway. As it gets closer I notice the line is moving against the current, but no drag was being taken. The the line switches direction and I'm thinking I think she has her first fish.... sure enough she pulls up her very first fish all by herself. On a pink roboworm none the less. A beautiful, but small sand bass. She was hysterical just absolutely going nuts over her first fish.

Later on I finally kicked the skunk when I pulled an average spottie off the bridge. Of course I hooked it and passed it along to my niece. I asked her to "hold my fishing rod" and what do you know, fish on :Wink: This one started pulling hard and I was just waiting for my rod to drop in the drink but nope, Megs landed her first spottie.

Here's a couple pics

Thanks for reading,

Mike

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu128/MikeAce00/utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjIuanBn.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu128/MikeAce00/utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjUuanBn.jpg

Santa Fe Eric
04-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Looks like a good time. A day she will remember!
Keep em coming!

flyngby
04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Mike,

Great job getting your neice on the fish!

A day she will remember for a long time.

I was floating around taking a tour of the harbor attempting to put some fellow 57 members on some fish also. A tough day in the harbor.

You were at a couple of my locations and somehow we failed to cross paths!

See you out there!

Steve

LunkerLover
04-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Man, it really doesn't get any better than that. Good day bro...

DEADROOTS
04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Keep up the good work by taking out the kids and having them involved.

NOAHNATOR
04-21-2009, 12:27 PM
It wasn't you. I was also out on a skiff all day on Saturday. Actually not all day. In the water by 6:45am. Fished the bait barge, coast guard, everywhere. D.S., trolling and didn't get crap! It was terrible.

Even though paid for a full day, brought skiff back at 12:30 and called it a day. I didn't even get a bite!

ghetto dad
04-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Way to go bro......me and a couple of the boyz plan on doing a skiff rental in NPH soon....thanks for the report...

GD

MikeAce00
04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
It wasn't you. I was also out on a skiff all day on Saturday....and didn't get crap! It was terrible.

Yeah that seemed to be the common theme for Saturday. On one hand I'm glad it wasn't just my lack of skills... on the other hand its always nice to see other FNN'ers have success.

I did see one guy out there fishing from a skiff. He said he caught 9 and his son 7... all on tiny 1 inch plastic minnows. Not even sure how to fish those. It was only 10am at that point. Sounded like a fish story but he seemed like an honest dude...

Thanks everyone else for reading, I appreciate the responses!

Tight lines,

Mike

Troutman65
04-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Very cool day for sure. Thanks for sharing on FNN.

DiskoCrisco
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Nice Job Mike! You forgot to mention that you're teaching Lando how to fish too ;) Looks like you guys had alot of fun. Call me this week, tube season is definitely on.