PDA

View Full Version : Phenix Rods (Take II)

Marley
04-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Bought my first Phenix rod a couple of years ago based on recommendations from a friend. Nice stick. Took it to Crowley for the opener that spring and broke 6 inches off the tip on the first fish I hooked. "(expletive deleted)" I thought, "There goes $150." It's been in the garage ever since.
Bought my second this February after seeing them at an Irvine Lake event, and then my third at the Hall show, an Elixir and also the result of the Irvine Lake event.
I broke one Saturday morning passing it into my boat.
Now, I've broken rods before. Caught under a cleat, snap a tip on a tree, etc. Three in the past 20 years, I believe, not including these two. Since I'm fishing somewhere 3 weekends a month, it's obvious that I'm not exactly rough on rods.
I also own two Ugly Sticks, which I take with and fish every trip, and I've had one of those for 20 years. No problem whatsoever, caught my first DD trout on it (12.7 pounds) and it cost me $29 plus tax. I also own a Daiwa Spinmatic and love the heck out of it. Almost identical action to the Phenix and at $40, several trips cheaper than the Phenix.
At this point, I'm very leery of fishing the Elixir. I don't know when it will break. Can I trust it on a big fish?
When I brought up the breakage to a tackle dealer today, he admitted that they have heard of a breakage issue. What's up with that? I am not afraid to buy good tackle (wanna see my salt water arsenal?) and I like the way high quality performs. But guys, if I don't even get a season's use out of your sticks, why would I want to buy another, and WHY would I recommend them to others?

aoessand
04-19-2009, 06:40 PM
honestly after the first rod broke i prolly would not have went back to that brand, i dont have a phenix rod myself but they defiantly look nice lol...

The Angler
04-20-2009, 01:44 AM
U cant beat the G-Loomis Lifetime Warrantys Period.

bsp
04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
You can definitely trust your Elixer on big fish. The Phenix guys have caught several on theirs, and their rods haven't broken.

From personal experience, I have never had a problem with mine, and I haven't babied it. While I don't recommend trying this to see for yorself, I accidentaly jammed the tip of mine into tree branches and then caught a 6lber on it with no ill effects. It really is a sturdy rod, and while I haven't caught a DD on mine yet I don't doubt that it will hold up.

As for warranty issues, Phenix is identical to G. Loomis. $50 no questions asked replacement, or free lifetime replacement from a manufacturer's defect. I think you're covered even if your rod does break.

billy b
04-20-2009, 11:01 AM
and bought my first GLoom. Then broke em about 3-4 times. The warranty is great...and so are the rods.

BassFreak
04-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear of your rod troubles.. Better take advantage of the warranty BSP mentioned ASAP.

BTW, i dunno how true, but I heard (new Phenix) also replaces broken (old Phenix') rods. so you might finally get a replacement for your broken old one..