PDA

View Full Version : Giant letter C

fishmounter
04-19-2009, 10:19 AM
We hiked up the mountain above the University of California Riverside (UCR) a took a few pics of the big letter "C" that you can see from all over the city below. Here's one of them. Quite a hike, but what a great view! Lots of cool looking lizards too. The "C" is actually made of cement and it's about 10" thick. It is really big! I don't know how they got all that cement up there. Now I want to research this to find out when and how it was done. This is not a photo you see every day though. Now we are going to try to hike over to the "M" above Moreno Valley. I'm too old for this stuff! Ha-ha!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/P1010021thec.jpg

PHISHnutS
04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
The letter "C" is embedded on the Riverside facing side. The Big C was built on Box Springs Mountain in 1957, approximately 1,500 feet above the University of California, Riverside campus, and was the world's largest poured-concrete block letter, measuring 132 by 70 feet. It was constructed primarily by students with materials and some labor donated by Berkeley alumnus E. L. Yeager. Each freshman class had the responsibility for painting the letter and keeping it clean throughout the year. One of the traditions of the Big C was its constantly changing character. During student elections it took the shape of one of the candidates' initials, and during exams it sometimes became a C minus or D.[1]. The placement of the "C" within the boundaries of a wildlife preserve is controversial, since increased traffic along the trail leading to the "C" resulted in significant degradation of the natural habitat, including littering, graffiti and soil erosion.[2].

The big letter C is located on the eastern edge of Riverside, above the UCR campus, on the slopes of Box Springs Mountains.

Years ago, the hike up to the big letter C used to be an enjoyable nature experience. Expansive views, beautiful rock formations, a variety of local plants (flowers in the spring), and wildlife: rabbits, coyotes, lizards and snakes. With some luck, you could catch a glimpse of a deer or a bobcat. Even Riverside itself looks kind of nice from up there.

Not anymore. The trail has been completely vandalized by UCR students, mostly by members of UCR fraternities.

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~marek/TrailOfShame/index.html

hughpam
04-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Look like a great hike and a great idea!

============================================

Love the UCR site:

"The trail has been completely vandalized by UCR students, mostly by members of UCR fraternities. "

Can't miss a chance to slam those frats now can we?

Always loved the PC hate on frats.

Prove that it's the frats and get back to me.

Losers.

PHISHnutS
04-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Prove that it's the frats and get back to me.

I was just searching around and found that link, thought it was interesting and posted it up. Check the pics on the site for the fraternity graffitti.

DarkShadow
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Check the pics on the site for the fraternity graffitti.

Cmon, the frats are being 'framed.'

tacklejunkie
04-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey, That's my back yard! :EyePop:
I never actually walked up there. I'll have to go check it out one day.

castle
04-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Ive been up there before. Kinda cool!