PDA

View Full Version : Opening day weather

retired96
04-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Checked the weather forcast for Mammoth and it looks like it will be cold/cool for opening day. Temps might be in the lower to mid 40's. with a chance of rain/snow. I'm leaving Wed. morning for a week of camping in Rock Creek. I just hope the wind doesn't blow too hard, I can handle cool temps. but I'm not crazy about mach 1 winds.

Spent yesterday packing all my camping/fishing gear, bought my food etc. All I have to do is load it up Tuesday after a visit to the dentist and I'm outta here at o dark thirty on Wed. morning.

BishopTrouter
04-19-2009, 07:33 AM
yeahh i looked at that too... its gona be beautiful weather all this week and then a fronts expected to roll in on friday :/

LBanales
04-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Almost every year, the weather is forecasted to be like this. The last few years, it's been warm. We'll see if it changes as we get closer......Thursday can't come fast enough!

sierraslam
04-19-2009, 08:04 AM
I'll be right behind ya Thursday am. Maybe the cold weather will keep some people home? Doubtful. Fishermen either love the Opener or hate it. Some folks can't stand the crowds or the madness of having to get at spot to fish by 2:00 am. For me it's a family tradition that goes back to the 1950's, when my grand father would fly his plane into Bridgeport every year. My family rented a cabin on Lower Twin Lake until 1992. Now we stay in Mammoth and fish Crowley, Convict, the Loop, and Lundy. the Opener has been good to us over the years with lots of trout over three pounds. Nothing like the big Browns my dad caught in the 1950's and 60's, but nice fish all the same. It will be a cold opener, but No way am I missing 20th straight Opening Day! good luck to all, keep the drive up safe and sane. The fish will be there when we get there. good fishin!

Junior
04-19-2009, 04:04 PM
:ROFL:Its opening day in the Sierras! 90 degrees with a chance of snow showers by noon and if you dont like the weather, wait ten minutes!

brn2fis
04-19-2009, 05:25 PM
I am going up Thursday before the opener and staying till the Saturday after the opener. I will be staying at Silver Lake Resort. Plan on fishing Grant, Silver lake, Gull, Rush Creek and maybe June. If it is snowing not a problem, pray for no wind. Everyone drive safely the fish will always be there no matter what time you get there. Hope everyone gets a big one! I will be taking my tube, if I put it in that is the question? I have been going up for the opener since 1964. God I love it.

Marley
04-19-2009, 09:33 PM
A week out is too far to predict the weather up there. "If you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes" is a good quote.
But sure hope it doesn't blow. Anything but that wind.

Crawler
04-20-2009, 07:39 PM
I cant wait for the opener reports. I am waiting untill the 9th o' may for my opener trip. :Smile:

Smells_Fishy
04-20-2009, 11:37 PM
We got used to the warm weather these past couple of years. Hope it doesnt rain too much......

Moedog
04-21-2009, 06:43 AM
its saying cold and rainy, hopefully that means fishing will be good! :EyePop:

BigGameHunter
04-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Sounds like great weather for fishing to me.. lol .. We (LBanales) are leaving Thursday morning.. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tight Lines everyone and be safe..

BGH

fishtacomag
04-21-2009, 12:46 PM
just be prepared for the worst and be happy if it is the best. I have seen many people not pack enough warm clothes as they thought it would be nice and then they freeze their butt off or have to pay highway robbery prices to get a jacket or something. You can always take your jacket off or extra sweatshirt off .
Leaving thursday, will fish with marlon meade and pete thomas of the Times on the way up there and on Friday in bishop then will hit Gull Lake on Saturday. Can NOT wait.
shawn

Mike274
04-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Retired96,

I didn't think you did the openers any more? It must be a cold day in he** uh, Mammoth.

Mike

mammothfishin
04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
snowing and blowing in Mammoth.

troutdog
04-26-2009, 03:14 AM
just be prepared for the worst and be happy if it is the best. I have seen many people not pack enough warm clothes as they thought it would be nice and then they freeze their butt off or have to pay highway robbery prices to get a jacket or something. You can always take your jacket off or extra sweatshirt off .
Leaving thursday, will fish with marlon meade and pete thomas of the Times on the way up there and on Friday in bishop then will hit Gull Lake on Saturday. Can NOT wait.
shawn

I am expecting a detailed report Shawn! :Wink:

TD

Joshua
04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
It snowed!! Snow level was at 4500 on Saturday. The report said snow would hit the valley floor on Friday night.
Wind was blowing and light snow flurries at 7:00 am on Saturday as I left on Bishop Creek. .