PDA

View Full Version : Mono vs. Fluoro vs. Fluoro Coated

Jaysuuun
04-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Since fishing NPH I decided to give fluorocarbon a try for all the hype it has received in recent years. I've been a hardcore mono user for years and I've heard so many great things about fluoro I needed to give it a try. I spooled up on 8lb Pline Fluorclear. I understand this is not 100% fluorocarbon and that's it's only a fluoro coating, but I did not want to spend a whole lot of money on something new that I haven't tried before. Worked great for awhile, super strong, and very castable.

This morning, only a month later, the line breaks off on a strike. I figured it was damaged line, so I strip off about half of the spool. Another strike and it breaks again while trying to gently land the fish. I test the line myself and to my disappointment the line was breaking like it was rated for 2lbs. I didn't fish for the rest of the day. :Angry:

I'm skeptical about fluoro now and dont want to make the switch if it means breaking off on every bite. Maybe Pline sucks or I need to try 100% fluoro, but unless someone can convince me that I should switch to fluoro, I'm going back to my beloved Trilene XL that I've used for years. Fluoro = More Bites, but More Lost Fish.

Can anyone enlighten me? :Confused:

mickeysindahouse
04-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Take care of your troubles by spooling your reels with braid & adding a fresh fluoro leader every outing.

Keep in mind that how and where you store your reels has a great effect on your line's performance. For example, if you keep your reels in a window sill where the sun (and its UV Rays) hit them all day long then you're asking for trouble. Best to keep your line/reels in a cool, fresh storage. No direct sunlinght, minimal heat is ideal for storage.

Nessie Hunter
04-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Saltwater !!!! it will kill line faster then anything... Need to rinse the spool better and/or change up more often for saltwater..

I had that same issue with Maxima.. I wont use it again...!!!!!!!!!

bsp
04-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Fluoroclear is bad stuff, which is weird since CXX is really good. I like to stay away from fluorocarbon lines in general, and I also like to avoid flourocarbon lines from manufacturers that didn't start out making fluorocarbon. Berkley Vanish is the best example in my experience. It always seems to "vanish" when you have a fish on (bad pun intended). A good, affordable fluorocarbon to try is Seaguar InvizX. You can find it online for $16 a spool and it is really good stuff. I tried it after getting ticked at Vanish, and have not gone back. I will bump up to a really pricey fluocarbon like Toray if I enter a tournament, but for fun recreational fishing I go with Seaguar.

The braid with flouro topshot idea works really well in the salt. The only problem is that there is no stretch, so you have to use a looser drag and a slower action rod to compensate. Trying that set up with a tight drag will result in you tearing the hook out of the fish's mouth on the set or you will shatter the line.

Jaysuuun
04-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Keep in mind that how and where you store your reels has a great effect on your line's performance. For example, if you keep your reels in a window sill where the sun (and its UV Rays) hit them all day long then you're asking for trouble. Best to keep your line/reels in a cool, fresh storage. No direct sunlinght, minimal heat is ideal for storage.

The only sunlight it gets is the sunlight that hits the line as I'm fishing. At home my rods stay in the corner of my room away from direct sunlight.

Saltwater !!!! it will kill line faster then anything... Need to rinse the spool better and/or change up more often for saltwater..

Rinsing my equipment off after every outing is something that I need to do. As far as changing out my line, I've only had the line for a month! :EyePop: I can fish with mono for an entire season before changing it. From what I've researched I thought fluoro was "not as" susceptible to damage and weakening because it doesn't absorb moisture like braid or mono.

Fluoroclear is bad stuff, which is weird since CXX is really good. I like to stay away from fluorocarbon lines in general, and I also like to avoid flourocarbon lines from manufacturers that didn't start out making fluorocarbon. Berkley Vanish is the best example in my experience. It always seems to "vanish" when you have a fish on (bad pun intended). A good, affordable fluorocarbon to try is Seaguar InvizX. You can find it online for $16 a spool and it is really good stuff. I tried it after getting ticked at Vanish, and have not gone back. I will bump up to a really pricey fluocarbon like Toray if I enter a tournament, but for fun recreational fishing I go with Seaguar.

The braid with flouro topshot idea works really well in the salt. The only problem is that there is no stretch, so you have to use a looser drag and a slower action rod to compensate. Trying that set up with a tight drag will result in you tearing the hook out of the fish's mouth on the set or you will shatter the line.

I will never use fluroclear again! I've heard a lot about Seaguar InvizX, but it's close to 30 bucks a spool at the LFS :EyePop:. I don't think I can afford to keep changing my line as many times as we get snagged in the harbor at that price. I'll try looking for it online as you suggested.

The guy at the LFS also suggested the braid and topshot idea, so that I'm not filling my entire spool with expensive fluoro. It sounds like a good idea and I think I'll experiment with it. But for now on I will always keep an extra reel in my bag spooled with some good ol' mono. :Wink:

flopps1
04-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Hard to get away from the mono. But if you must, I hear good things about Yo-zuri Hybrid. It's coated as well. Best of mono and best of fluro combined. Cost is reasonable and haven't heard of any breakage. I plan to use some myself this season if the tuna's play hard ball.

Another option is to keep it mono...but get some pre-rigged fluro leaders. Owner makes em. Pick your test and you get the appropriate size hook on the lines class. Like four leaders to a pack. That may save you some from going all fluro.

Tight lines......

Wingnut
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Seaguar InviziX... Halibut & Spottie teeth proof, well... almost. :Wink:

victor101
04-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Ive had the same flouroclear 8# test on my reel for a few months now and ive had no problems... Do u rinse ur reel/line with freshwater after each trip? If not, it could be the saltwater breaking ur line down....

davidth626
04-18-2009, 09:50 PM
yo zuri hybrid is awesome. ive had only one case with the flouro breaking like its been rated for 2 pound test. i think it was called vanish and it was 100% flouro. ive used yo-zuri hybrid for the longest in the salt. and i only respool it wen i get down to 3/4 of the spool remaining and no break off's unless its from poor knot tying (only my girlfriend's knots). and having a backing of braid and like 75-100 yards of flouro on top is a good choice too(i would keep the braid around the same pound test of the flouro).

PS seagaur is probably the best performance for the price. if u wanna save money on flouro leader get the 170 yard spool of leader material, its around 20 bucks but 7 times the length of 1 reg spool and the same price as 2, 25 yard spools. and if u want better performance try Torray black water. i heard the 40 pound test is practically unlimited.

bsp
04-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I meant to say that I avoid fluorocarbon coated lines. No real benefit IMO. Definitely give the InvisX a shot. It is very tough stuff, and I feel more than confident that I'll be able to pull fish away from structure when I use it.

dockboy
04-18-2009, 11:10 PM
just say no to this wimpy trend of spinning reels with braid

that.....or people enjoy taking on larger fish with the lighter tackle braid affords. braid allows you to have far more line capacity, and when you hook into a large fish on light tackle, its a good thing. Mono is good and so is flourocarbon. But braid opens up a whole new world of light fishing IMO

tpfishnfool
04-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Seaguar Invix is the S#%t ! Try it and you will never go back.

megafisher94
04-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Hard to get away from the mono. But if you must, I hear good things about Yo-zuri Hybrid. It's coated as well. Best of mono and best of fluro combined. Cost is reasonable and haven't heard of any breakage. I plan to use some myself this season if the tuna's play hard ball.

Another option is to keep it mono...but get some pre-rigged fluro leaders. Owner makes em. Pick your test and you get the appropriate size hook on the lines class. Like four leaders to a pack. That may save you some from going all fluro.

Tight lines......
i have a reel spooled with it( yo-zuri hybrid) and i have expierenced the same breakage that jaysuuun did. i rinse all my gear off and unless im fishing, its out of the sun. i like mickeysinthehouse's idea. i think ill switch my rod to that.

Jaysuuun
04-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks to everyone for all help. I think I'm going to stay away from coated/hybrid. I think I'll stick with either 100% mono or 100% fluoro. I don't believe any one line can achieve the best properties of the two. Seaguar InvizX seems to be the popular choice, so I think I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again for all the advice.