PDA

View Full Version : 4/18 NPH White Sea Bass Surprise!

LunkerLover
04-18-2009, 03:04 PM
G'day ladies and gentlemen ... launched the tube this morning over off "Bay Island" (never fished here before)

In the water @ 7:15 ... out @ 10:00

Fished around the entire island with the following ammo:
--Berk Jerk Shad - Nuclear Chicken
--Berk 3" shrimp - Ghost
--Berk Freshwater 5" curl-tailed worms - Pumpkinseed
--1/4 oz football jigs
--8lb Trilene Sensation

When all was said and done ... total count:
--3 Spotted Bay Bass
--1 Kelp Bass (FATTY!)
--1 20" Barracuda
--2 non-legal Halibuts
-- AND ... THE SURPRISE OF THE DAY: a 14" WHITE SEA BASS (WTF?) see pic

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww45/LunkerLover/WSB.jpg

ghetto dad
04-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Nice job man......really nice...thanks

GD

Ifishtoolittle
04-18-2009, 03:19 PM
WSB nice WTG!

LunkerLover
04-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Fellow NPH-ers...

The following website is BY FAR the most user-friendly tide chart specific to Newport Harbor ... AND ... you can sign-up on the site to have tide charts accessible by cell phone ... pretty cool ... see below

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/4150.html

SkipperDick
04-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Way to go Brother! Nice haul again in the harbor. check your PMs.

SkipperDick

Nessie Hunter
04-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Good day in NPH.... WTG......

Why is the WSB a surprise??? They have grow out pens that are released in NPH.....

Just south of Davies (same side), floating dock with chain link around it..

TShaffer
04-18-2009, 08:01 PM

Why is the WSB a surprise??? They have grow out pens that are released in NPH.....

I've seen those growout pens in Huntington Harbor but never caught one in there. Just curious, anybody caught a wsb in Huntington Harbor?
And nice job LunkerLover and thanks for the website link.

RUSSO
04-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Nice Report Bro, Those baby WSB are in all the bays, HH too. They must leave the Harbor when they get bigger because you rarely hear of a legal caught, I think I remember seeing a report of someone getting a Legal Inside near the wedge a few years ago. I had my best day of the year yesterday in NPH, I think its about to GO Off.

Santa Fe Eric
04-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Nice work!

NPH is great to fish on the tube and kickboats!

Jaysuuun
04-19-2009, 02:21 AM
WTG on the WSB. I guess you never know what your going to catch when your fishing the harbor. I'd love to hook into one of those on light tackle.

That's interesting. I thought the only fish that are grown out were trout and salmon. I learn something new everyday on this board. :Smile:

Nessie Hunter
04-19-2009, 07:07 AM
That's interesting. I thought the only fish that are grown out were trout and salmon. I learn something new everyday on this board. :Smile:

There is a very large WSB program in Calif. Most harbors have pens from San Diego to ????

I think?? the Balboa Anglers Club (BAC) operates the pens in NPH.
They are always looking for volunteers to help out..
Rewarding experience, if you live in the area and have a little time Volunteer.................

http://www.balboaanglingclub.org/

megafisher94
04-19-2009, 07:59 AM
sweet! ive latched on to WSB's in nph before. good job

LunkerLover
04-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Okay guys ... I get it.

After several PM's from ya'll and the replies on here, I now see that WSB are not that rare for us anglers the "bay..."

hehe ... Learn somethin new every day ... my goal is to now get a LEGAL WSB

flyngby
04-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey,

Nice to see you out there yesterday morning with your buddy.

You did not actually block the channel I was looking at starting you just let me start on my favorite dock to start and let Scott (CAPT'N) get on his first ever Flattie.

Congrats on the WSB and now I know why you buddy was so excited and heard him as you what the heck it was. We managed a Juvie WSB also later in the day well to the north of that location.

Okay guys ... I get it.

After several PM's from ya'll and the replies on here, I now see that WSB are not that rare for us anglers the "bay..."

hehe ... Learn somethin new every day ... my goal is to now get a LEGAL WSB

Well buddy this time of year it is in that the growing pen has been empty for quit some time like last Sept? when myself and Eddie (HESBROS) happend to be in the harbor on a day when we got into a school of them and CPR'd 10 in a 30 min period.

So I will say it was a rare catch for you buddy and we happend to pick one up also yesterday.

I wish I could have gotten one last week when I was there with WINGNUT and we were talking about the Harbor Bass Trifecta , Quad ect.

Nice to meet you and converse on the water!!

Steve

PUDD MASTER BAITER
04-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Last summer gary, and i saw diffently jumbo wsb ,just cruising in the reserve . I couldnt get them to eat.last year at 72nd ,to my surprise i caught a 21" on a soft plastic swim bait. Thinking it was a large croaker ,i decided to lip it . It wasnt pretty.gary was rolling with laughter.

LunkerLover
04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Nice work!

NPH is great to fish on the tube and kickboats!

yes sir ... I'd be obliged to hit it up with you some day man ... my skiff/your skiff ... whatever .... I lay down the beatbox and you provide the rhymes ... I've been making beats since I was 18 ... MPC 2000 ... you still spit?

DEADROOTS
04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Sweet fish! I still need one to add to the list.