PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill Imitations....

Liteliner
04-18-2009, 01:20 PM
I fished two local parks today and picked up a few dinks on dropshot worms. I saw quite a few big fish chasin the shezzy out of the bluegills. I went through my whole damn tackle bag and nothing close to a bluegill in my box. Everything I had was shad imitations and those bigger fish didnt want anything to do with them. So now im in the market for some bluegill look alike baits. I have found only two that look good. One was by Mattlures and its a softbait for 22 bucks. The other was like 55 bucks and was a swimbait bluegill. They are really pricey lures and I dont have the money for lures of that price range right now.

Anybody have suggestions to alternate lures that would be good bluegill imitations?

ghetto dad
04-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I fished two local parks today and picked up a few dinks on dropshot worms. I saw quite a few big fish chasin the shezzy out of the bluegills. I went through my whole damn tackle bag and nothing close to a bluegill in my box. Everything I had was shad imitations and those bigger fish didnt want anything to do with them. So now im in the market for some bluegill look alike baits. I have found only two that look good. One was by Mattlures and its a softbait for 22 bucks. The other was like 55 bucks and was a swimbait bluegill. They are really pricey lures and I dont have the money for lures of that price range right now.

Anybody have suggestions to alternate lures that would be good bluegill imitations?

live blugill would make the best bluegill immitations....:ROFL:

Thanks for the invite homie!!!

GD

BassinChef
04-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Try the Rapalas DT series in bluegill pattern I have caught plenty of bass on that bait and they are pretty cheap anywhere from 6 -10 bucks.

BassinChef

socal_jeff
04-18-2009, 02:34 PM
you should try the jack-all grion its around 22 bucks

Ifishtoolittle
04-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Castaic Swimbaits are pretty cheap. I have one bluegill one, but i forgot the price. Definitely under $20.

imd12nv
04-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Try the Rapalas DT series in bluegill pattern I have caught plenty of bass on that bait and they are pretty cheap anywhere from 6 -10 bucks.

BassinChef
The rapalas are def the way to go. they are painted pretty good for factory crank baits. they also offer like 4 diff depth ranges.

johnsfishing
04-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I know Storm makes Sunfish and Crappie Swimbaits..

check it out.

http://www.stormlures.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=wildeye_live_crappie&freshorsalt=Fresh&type=soft_lures

http://www.stormlures.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=wildeye_live_sunfish&freshorsalt=Fresh&type=soft_lures

johnsfishing

a biley
04-18-2009, 11:14 PM
the Jackall Girons are the best! Pricey though at $20 a pop

bassassassin
04-18-2009, 11:37 PM
the jackall girons are killer baits ive got a couple of bass on them this year off beds. they are really the perfect size to immitate those baby bluegill. plus if you take the large hook off in the center and replace it with a smaller light weight hook the bait suspends about one foot under water which is perfect for local park lakes.

if your looking for a bigger bait the Matt lures Madgill is a killer bait! its kind of tough to get a fish under 3 or 4 pounds on it though and it costs 35 bucks. this bait also stands up on the its nose and bottom hook wich makes it a killer bait for beds. (as shown in the picture below
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/77/l_0e2d5f95038c4edfab133c84fb436588.jpg

the matt lures blugill is also an awesome bait for all sizes of bass.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/83/l_4237cd578c0b464090a418e3a7dfc9a9.jpg
from right to left- 1. Matt lures Bluegill 2. BaitSmith Madgill 3. Jackall Giron

Good luck with watever you chose

calico killer kevin
04-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I have a Shimano Japan bluegill crank that dives 2-3 feet and is an absolute killer. Bought it from a guy on TT for $11. Bluegill swimbaitsI like are, as stated above, Mattlures for soft and Jackall Girons for hard. For around $20 a pop, they're not bad. Don't cheap out and buy the Storm crap because they are pieces of s***. 80% of them, out of the bag, are gonna swim on their sides.

TShaffer
04-19-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a small storm bluegill soft swimbait that kicks arse and I have a bluegill shallow shad rap that is good for avoiding snags on the bottom. Both have caught bass and look just like little bluegills in the water.

Liteliner
04-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im sold on the Jackall Giron and the Mattlure. Do you guys know any tackle stores in orange county that carry them? I'd rather pick them up then pay for shipping and wait. Thanks for the help guys...

sweetfish
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I got this one from Bass Pro and caught a 3 1/2 Lb a couple of weeks ago. This bait is slow sinking and comes with some ball bearings to increase the depth. It can also be fished like a wakebait. The Bluegill color is "02". I got the 4" bait. Also they are in stock at Rancho Cucamonga.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103932_100018001_100000000_100018000_100-18-1

calico killer kevin
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Angler's Marine on La Palma should have both. Be careful though, if you go
there, I can almost gurantee that's not the only thing you're gonna leave the
store with.

Liteliner
04-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Angler's Marine on La Palma should have both. Be careful though, if you go
there, I can almost gurantee that's not the only thing you're gonna leave the
store with.

Damn i should of thought of that. I already ordered some though from tacklewarehouse. Got some flouro and two of the jackall lures. I cant wait to go back and hit up the local lakes with new ammo... Thanks for the help bro.

a biley
04-21-2009, 11:26 AM
don't worry liteline, its like $3 cheaper at tacklewarehouse... I always make sure I spend $50 for the free shipping lol

bassassassin
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I have a Shimano Japan bluegill crank that dives 2-3 feet and is an absolute killer. Bought it from a guy on TT for $11. Bluegill swimbaitsI like are, as stated above, Mattlures for soft and Jackall Girons for hard. For around $20 a pop, they're not bad. Don't cheap out and buy the Storm crap because they are pieces of s***. 80% of them, out of the bag, are gonna swim on their sides.

kevins right those storm bluegill swimbaits ar crap... but the wildeye shad are killer

hookup
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
its all about the top shelfs there cheap and nice.

Liteliner
04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
don't worry liteline, its like $3 cheaper at tacklewarehouse... I always make sure I spend $50 for the free shipping lol

Yeah i did the same thing. I made sure I would get the free shipping so I spent 60. Picked up 2 Jackall Girons and some different brand flourocarbon to test out. I'll post results soon...

Liteliner
04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/83/l_4237cd578c0b464090a418e3a7dfc9a9.jpg
3. Jackall Giron

Hey I noticed you replaced the monster hook in the middle with a small one. Is there a reason for that? I also took the big hook off and put the one that was at the tail in the middle and added a smaller treble to the tail.