PDA

View Full Version : Perris 4/17/09: Shifting Gears To Go Back To Where It All Started. *Pics*

Socal Bassman
04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
A co-worker has been asking me about the bluegill bite out at Perris. Think he's been there four times with no luck. Being a bass guy, I have been out of touch with the panfish side. So, I decided to accompany him and his brother in law to see if we can scratch up a few 'gills.

The conditions for today was scattered clouds with a slight cold breeze in the morning. With the colder weather we've had, I'd say that the water temp. was in the mid to high 60's. Water clarity was stained with visibility to about 2ft. By 8:00a.m. the sun was out and the sky was clear with little to no clouds.

Well, we arrived at the marina about 6:15a.m. and got the rods all set up for crickets. My co-worker opted for fishing a cricket about 6ft. under a bobber. While his brother in law and I just added a small spit shot about 6" above the hook. It didn't take long for us to find some fish. The action was pretty steady at first, but at about 9:00a.m., the bite dropped off dramatically. We decided to call it a day at 11:30a.m. All fish were caught in the top 5ft-7ft. at the end of the dock. There were a group of kids fishing next to us and they were just killing the 'gills with wax worms. When the bite slowed down, I decided to add a small bobber about 6.5ft. above my hook. Dropped it down and let out a couple of feet of line. The very little current we had was enough to drift my offering under the dock. This is where I hooked into some of the nicer sized 'gills. Jr. ended the day with 10 'gills. On a final note, we saw a ton of shad around the marina docks today.

Jr. with his biggest of the day
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/IMG00178.jpg

Not a stringer full, but they were fun to catch
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/IMG00183.jpg

My co-workers' and his brother in laws catch for the day
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/IMG00185.jpg

ddoskocil
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
very nice - I love getting the kids involved!

Seng90806
04-17-2009, 01:52 PM
its about that time again....they all gathered all around that dock...cant wait for them to head on out to the open water...thanks for the report!!!

Coach D'
04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Nice! Jr is gonna remember this day for years to come. Thats a lot of fish, great job.

Panfish Junior
04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I need to get out there for some of those gills in three more weeks. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch a few of them for Khmer Sour Soup. :Smile::Wink: Thanx 4 the report! :Smile:

Liteliner
04-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Nice job on the gills. Your son is quite the fisherman. He pwns Perris... Thanks for the report...

One question. How do you hook a cricket? Never used one before for bait.

bassguy
04-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Hey Guys,

Nice job! Looks like it was the SoCal Jr/ SoCal show out there. Jr's smile says it all, looks like he is going to out fish dad soon.

tacklejunkie
04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Good job Socal and Jr.!
Those bluegills fight pretty good!

How did he like holding them spiny fish?! :EyePop: Sharp lil boogers.

trail blazer
04-20-2009, 09:38 AM
X,LNT job out there
That is the way tro put the kids on fish!!
PRICELESS

pasadenafishin
04-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Seng the gills or there finally!! lets go do the tube thing
QUOTE=Seng90806;333392]its about that time again....they all gathered all around that dock...cant wait for them to head on out to the open water...thanks for the report!!![/QUOTE]

sansou
04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Nice job SoCal and SoCal Junior!

Kids & bluegills....always puts a smile on the faces! Good report!