PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on Tying Spectra with Mono

hoosierfisher
04-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Alex here,

Need a recommendation...

Back from my recent business trip, I went to Longfins over at Tustin and went crazy. In the process, I'd picked up couple of Saltiga and loaded with 50lb sepctra for up coming yellow tail and tuna season.

To be Honest, I've never fished with spectra (been trilene big game guy). I've read-up on pros and cons. I understand that Spectra has slipperage issues.

What is the best knot for tying spectra (50 Lb) with Mono-Fluorocarbon(30LB)?

Is there a website or instructional page that one can recommend? I don't want to be wasting valuable time on deck by fumbling over knots with deckhands.

Any help would be appreciate it...

HEMAN
04-15-2009, 04:12 PM
personally i use a uni to uni with a small drop of super glue..

there are other super crazy knots too.. but all depends on your preference.

victor101
04-15-2009, 04:27 PM
+1 on the uni to uni. Ive used it for 2 years and only had it slip once on me once...Im not sure if it has to do with the type of line i used(blackwater shock leader) or if i didnt tie it right that one time...anyway, its an easy knot to learn and so far its worked pretty good for me.

Ricky-Ray
04-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I use a uni to uni knot too but I don't put glue on mine. I've never had it fail on me and I've used this connection for my mono to spectra up to 50#'s.

Check out for a diagram on how to tie a uni to uni knot. http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/powerpro/company/using_powerpro/knots.html

Only thing about a uni to uni is that it's kind of a bulky knot. Some of my other friends will tie a bimini to albright knot and that is a much smaller knot but it's also alot more complicate knot to tie.

Ifishtoolittle
04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Albright Knot is the way to go, it takes practice, but once you get it you're good to go.

craznazn
04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
uni to uni....ditto that! Here's a decent link that shows fishing knot tying:
http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

fuj
04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I've seen some good knot tying videos on Youtube and the like. Google or Youtube knots like the Albright, Reverse Albright, Improved Albright/Alberto, Bimini to (Reverse) Albright, back-to-back uni, Roddy Hayes/Tony Pena... I believe Charkbait has a video on the Bimini/Albright connection.

Jackpot Jimmy
04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I used to go to tackle stores, and they would tie the bimini to reverse albright, but it got way to expensive for that, so I tie a uni to uni, and I have never had it break on me. Strong and dependable knot.

Ricky-Ray
04-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I used to go to tackle stores, and they would tie the bimini to reverse albright, but it got way to expensive for that, so I tie a uni to uni, and I have never had it break on me. Strong and dependable knot.

That's because you've been catching them poo perch on 12# line.... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

j/k

Liteliner
04-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Yes after farming 2 good yellowfin tuna on different knots i have moved back to the uni to uni aswell. SIMPLE YET STRONG knot...

ghetto dad
04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
i use the albright.......

GD

hakaveli
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
i use the bob sands knot

surfnfish
04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
PENYA KNOT!!!! also referred to as the Bob Sands, it's much stronger than a uni uni in my opinion, and takes only maybe ten seconds longer to tie, never slips never breaks on fish EVER!!

mstr fish
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
PENYA KNOT!!!! also referred to as the Bob Sands, it's much stronger than a uni uni in my opinion, and takes only maybe ten seconds longer to tie, never slips never breaks on fish EVER!!

Where can you find a diagram on how to tie this knott? Thanks.....................fish

greg
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
I use both the back to back uni (6 wraps on the fluorocarbon side and 9 wraps on the spectra side) and the Bob Sands. The back to back uni knot is not a clean as the Bob Sands and sometimes gets hung up in the rod eyes when I cast...

DEADROOTS
04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
What about the Palomar knot? Does that hold up well when fishing for tuna or any of that class of fish?

Ricky-Ray
04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Where can you find a diagram on how to tie this knott? Thanks.....................fish

Google is such a wonderful thing... http://www.frenzytackle.com/tips/pena.htm

ghetto dad
04-15-2009, 10:39 PM
what about the palomar knot? Does that hold up well when fishing for tuna or any of that class of fish?

????????????????????

Gd

Ricky-Ray
04-15-2009, 10:40 PM
What about the Palomar knot? Does that hold up well when fishing for tuna or any of that class of fish?

Personally I've stopped using the Palomar knot after I lost 3 albies in a row to them. I've also had friends that have caught albies and tuna's up to 40 pounds on the palomar with no problem.

If your comfortable with the knot then go for it, in general if properly tied it should hold up without any problems. If your after tuna's and other pelagic's that over 50 pounds I would definitely consider using a different knot, something like the San Diego Knot or Double San Diego Knot.

ghetto dad
04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Personally I've stopped using the Palomar knot after I lost 3 albies in a row to them. I've also had friends that have caught albies and tuna's up to 40 pounds on the palomar with no problem.

If your comfortable with the knot then go for it, in general if properly tied it should hold up without any problems. If your after tuna's and other pelagic's that over 50 pounds I would definitely consider using a different knot, something like the San Diego Knot or Double San Diego Knot.

isnt this about spectra to mono????

GD

Ricky-Ray
04-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Ghetto Dad's playing thread police.....

ghetto dad
04-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Ghetto Dad's playing thread police.....

yeah, cuz you know me....i ALWAYS stay on topic and NEVER thread jack....:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

****g hugs****

GD

Jikser
04-16-2009, 06:42 AM
been using Yucatan knot. works great for me