PDA

View Full Version : Newport Bait Barge is up and running finally

SAN PEDRO BAIT CO
04-15-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm happy to say that the Newport bait barge is up and running. The barge is full of anchovies and sardines and open 24/7. There will be a new contact number for the barge this year that will be operational shortly. I will post the number as soon as it is working. Thanks for reading and good luck.

ghetto dad
04-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Way to go Todd, great job, and thanks for all the hard work brother.

GD

sansou
04-15-2009, 08:44 AM
San Pedro Bait Co.,

Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop, and thanks for joining FNN.

SAN PEDRO BAIT CO
04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Glad to be here guys and thanks for the support!! We'll keep you posted with current bait reports.

MikesOcean
04-15-2009, 10:47 AM
I am very glad to hear that! As I love the rent the skiffs out of davey's and fish the chovies. I plan to come on Sunday. Is it a good chance you will have chovies on sunday? Fishing that harbor with anchovies instead of sardines is usually off the hook for me on the halibut. I would typically fish it every Sunday if I could, and knowing they have the bait of my choice. :)

Thanks in advance
mikesocean

fishmounter
04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, they will have anchovies or sardines that are like a foot long. Hopefully not. How about the perfect 6 inch "greenbacks"?

SAN PEDRO BAIT CO
04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I hope so for everybody's sake. If the boat catches anchovies saturday there will be anchovies for sunday.

hoosierfisher
04-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Will the bait barge in NPH be open tomorrow (Thursday)?

SAN PEDRO BAIT CO
04-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes, we are open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week from now thru mid October.

NOAHNATOR
04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Speaking of Bait Barge, I will be there on Saturday, renting an S.S. Minnow Skiff. What is better for the harbor, Chovies or Dines?

fishmounter
04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Anchovies if they are not too large is my favorite because they are a "softer" bait. The sardines are pretty good to if they are not too big. Actually the sardines are a hardier bait and you can usually re-use them if they get a few teeth marks on them from a missed fish. You still can catch fish on the larger baits, but you have to use a heavier sliding sinker to keep them down and when you do get bit, you need to let them run a long time before you set the hook, but you still miss a lot of fish.

ItchyBass
04-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I'll be paying the bait barge a visit this saturday. How much is a scoop going to cost this year? I remember last year i got charged 20 for a scoop but only 12 this year before you put the bait barge out.

SAN PEDRO BAIT CO
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
30 dollars a scoop 20 for half scoop and 10 for a kayak scoop.

NOAHNATOR
04-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't mean to be technical or ask a dumb question, but how many fish per scoop?

Jbro
04-16-2009, 05:00 PM
see you Sunday for a coupla scoops o'that good fin bait.

ODOGFISH
04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
30 dollars a scoop 20 for half scoop and 10 for a kayak scoop.

... damn good deal ... but have you seen the size of some of thos yak tanks ... :ROFL:

ghetto dad
04-16-2009, 06:22 PM
i don't mean to be technical or ask a dumb question, but how many fish per scoop?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gd

LunkerLover
04-16-2009, 08:34 PM
May be a dumb question .... BUT I've only been fishing the bay for about 8 months now and I have NO clue where the barge will be located ... inside the jetty? Outside? Is it approachable by float-tubers?

ItchyBass
04-17-2009, 07:27 AM
It usually between the jetties inside the mouth of the harbor.

HESBROS
04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't mean to be technical or ask a dumb question, but how many fish per scoop?

A half scoop is usually about 5lbs of live bait, a full scoop is 10lbs. The number of actual fish is determined by the type and size of bait. A half scoop is plenty to get you through a day in the harbor. And remember guys and girls, there is a Orannge Co. Ordinance against throwing or releasing bait into the Harbor that is not attached to a hook. I learned this from first hand in Dana Point when I was netting out my left over "live" bait. If you are on a rental, let the guys at Davey's unload the bait, or take some zip locks and take it home with you and freeze it for next time.

MikesOcean
04-17-2009, 07:46 PM
So.........how we looking for anchovies on Sunday morning. I am still planning on being there. Think its a good chance the way things have been for anchovies.

Thank you kindly in advance!
Mikesocean

MikesOcean
04-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Wow!!! Had a great time at Davey's Locker (will post report). The guys at the barge were great! I forgot the guy's name in the moring who was VERY nice, and the guy in the afternoon as well who's name was Zack. He was great as well. They had plent of bait, mixed chovies and sardines. So get your bait from these guys. Thanks again!!!!

mikesocean

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, they will have anchovies or sardines that are like a foot long. Hopefully not. How about the perfect 6 inch "greenbacks"?

Yeah, ya gotta remember these guys are not hand picking the bait, they are subject to what is caught by the bait boat...and what is available at that time.

HAT'S OFF !

to the San Pedro Bait company....GREAT Comunication.....Salute.

Keep it up...

Salute...

P.S.
Post this in the Saltwater Bay, Surf and pier section

SAN PEDRO BAIT CO
04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Glad to hear you guys had a good experience and thanks for the postive feed back!! Currently the bait consists of a mix of 4" anchovies and sardines. Very nice bait for anywhere!!