PDA

View Full Version : Fishing 4/12 Easter at Jenks lake

Koshaw
04-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Decided to go up to Jenks again. I was a bit worried at first regarding snow levels, but Caltrans said no chains were needed so off I went!

It was a long drive from Santa Monica but worth it. I got there with no trouble, just when the sun was rising. Snow covered the mountains over the lake and the dark green trees and lightening sky provided a nice contrast. The moon was almost full and there were still some stars visible.

A slight breeze going and from the parking lot, the part of the lake I coud see was glassy smooth, with only a few waves marring the surface.

Got out all my tackle and walked down the stairs to the left way down to my spot. I had one bait and wait pole set with a 18" leader and a #14 treble hook and garlic power bait w/garlic bang on it. The other I put on various lures such as a red/gold thomas buoyant, cast master (silver, gold, etc) with no love.

I hooked up right away with a nice stocker rainbow. Kept casting with the other lures but finally gave it up and put green power bait on the other pole. Fish on! A bigger stocker =).

I decided to change up one of the poles to Salmon Peach power bait. After about twenty minutes... fish on again :D.

Changed the other pole to Salmon Peach after losing the bait to a nibble and again Fish On.

Kept switching between the two baits with much success. Got four fish and then just did the catch and release thing for 4 more.

So by 1pm I had 8 total :D.

The DGF came by looking at licenses. The only thing is some gang banger guy gave him lip and so he called in the sherrifs! So there was a bit of a to do about that. You really gotta respect those guys and not be smart with em, just like you would any officer/deputy etc.

Will be posting pics.

tacklejunkie
04-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the Report Koshaw! Good to hear you were on the fish and the DFG is keepin' the thugs on their toes.
I have not been up to Jenks yet this year. Hopefully the froggin' bass action is on again like it was last summer :Smile: Lost a pig in the lilies I have to go back and look for.

Jcco98
04-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Is the lake open yet? I thought late April. I have been up there a few times while closed, always wondered if anyone would give me grief for being up there when it was closed.

billy b
04-15-2009, 08:46 AM
said they were opening the gate now. It's always been a year round lake ... if you don't mind walking down the hill and back up ... what, maybe 1/2 a mile?

Koshaw
04-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys =) I hope you get out and slay em too!

Well it is open now :D!

I hear there were a lot of rat bstards that spoiled it for the rest of us :P

The lake USED to be open all the time and also for night fishing...but the jerks tore up the wooden picknic tables for fire wood and vandalized everything so POOF away goes 24/7 fishing :~(