PDA

View Full Version : Fly recomendations for the lower Owens

fishing_addict
04-14-2009, 05:23 PM
I know it all depends on the hatch, but if you were only allowed to fish certain flies which ones would they be and what size hook (using a 6wt rod)? I'm trying to put together a basic supply of flies for my first fly fishing trip to the Owens this weekend. Thanks!

hughpam
04-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Griffiths gnat size 22-24. Also, when it's hot go to stimulators under the brush. I have done well with hoppers, too.

smokinflies
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
try contacting one of the local tackle shops in that area. they'll know for sure what type of flies the fish are hitting.

good luck bro.

Trout-Slayer77
04-16-2009, 12:58 PM
From the trout fly fish report today:

LOWER OWENS RIVER Open year round. Consult regulations for areas that are catch and release fishing only.
Water Conditions:
Flows have been holding at 151 CFS as of 4/16. Check flow link at top of page often as this si=2 0the time of the year that DWP opens the valve and runs the flow up to 300 CFS.
The Lower Owens is really good right now! March - April is the best time of year to fish this tailwater. Spring comes early to the Owens Valley! Excellent dry fly and nymphing conditions right now, with prime time 11-3pm most days.
Fishing Conditions and Hatches: Good

Midges followed by Baetis followed by Caddis, hatch-o-rama from 10 am until 3 pm.
Also stripping streamers is working nicely.
Recommended Flies:
-NYMPHS- #18-20 WD-40 in Black or Grey, #18-20 Zebra Midge, #18 Copper John in Green or Black, #18 Pheasant Tail, #16 Prince Nymph and #14-16 Hare's Ear.
-DRIES- #16-18 Hatchmaster BWO, #16-18 Hi-Vis BWO and #18-24 Parachute Adams.
-STREAMERS- Strip Punk Perch just outside the suds line if driftng.
Guides Hint: Try a Crane Fly larvae imitation like a Buckskin Caddis mid morning.