PDA

View Full Version : Easter Surprise for Native Gal, pix

Native Gal
04-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Hey fisher guys & gals,
Second time fishing for the New Year since the leg is stronger and I can get out more now, Yaay!!! :Smile:
So after my husband and I hit up the Easter dinner with the family in Irvine we decided to head down to Oceanside for a lil Saltwater action. Not the best of conditions for fishing but just to spend the day out together fishing and get me out of the house on a beautiful day.
We found an area that was perfect for me to get around and fish from. So we drop bait and within a minute my husband is on with his first of many fish. Three weeks ago I had the hot hand and caught a bunch of smelt and he got only 2 lil feeshies. So by his 10th fish I feel the skunk coming on, what the heck is going on? I was getting enough hits but couldn't hook em :Sad:, they were sneaky lil guys this time.
When we first got to the spot a young man was trying to fish with his Uncle while his parents and grandparents visited near by. After my husband started pulling in those lil bass right to left he was bummed because he had been there a while catching nada. He borrowed his grandpas big pole and had heavy line on. So I told him to grab a hook and some of our bait. He was worried we wouldn't have enough tackle and bait. I told him trust me we have enough. So he started to get hits and then I told him to use my light set up to feel the difference. He was having a blast and wanted to catch one so bad, I let him have my spot where I was getting alot of hits. He needed to learn how to be patient to hookset them but after a half hour his family wanted to leave, poor guy was bummed. He was happy nonetheless and said thanks for helping him learn a lil more about fishing, it was fun helping him, he was a good kid with very polite manners, definitely a future fisherman.
In the meantime my husband is still catching fish left to right. Finally, when he got his 10th I manage my first, a lil Sandie. My husband caught a majority of Calico's and in the end 2 spotties. About 10 minutes later I caught my second, a lil spottie. His last spottie was a chunky, what a gut the lil guy had. So he ends the night with 12 and me with 2, :Confused:, hmmm I thought, that's so wrong, thus goes fishing. So I persuade him to go for a bakers dozen, he readily agrees, heehee, and we fish a lil more.
A few minutes later I see the line on my 10# set up go taught, ahh ha. I pick up the pole and feel the chew, a good solid pull and the fight is on. Yeahhh baby, it's the big one I've been waiting for. I thought a bat ray, maybe my PB. It's peeling line now and then and I am pulling up and reeling down, you know the drill. Finally after a good lil battle I yell to my husband get the flashlight as I bring it to the surface, can't wait to see my big catch, up it comes into the light as a lil crowd came around to look. He yells, "IT'S A LOBSTER" :EyePop:, a lobster, coool.
I bring it to the edge and we net him to take pixs. Nice size, too bad season is over, it wasn't legal size but a quick rough measure had it around 7 1/2" and it was caught illegally. Boy was I ready to get some butter. Well despite my lack of catch in #'s I was pleased with my last catch and a new species for me from the Salt. Thanks for taking the time to read and enjoy the pixs, and good luck to all on your next outing.
Enjoy all the CPR pixs.

NG
:Razz::Smile:

sansou
04-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Nicely done!

Hopefully you'll be fully healed in time for the summer bite!

doyoufishmuch
04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Great report! WTG on the bass attack and that fatty lobster. Those things can put up a really fun fight. Just wish it were legal to keep em if u accidently hook em. Nice job on ur new species.:Thumbs Up:

blackwater
04-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Whoohooo, a lobster! It does look legal size, but too bad you couldn't keep it. Nice job on the release as I bet many people would be tempted to keep it. Sounds like a fun Easter for you and your husband, hope you continue to get out there and fish more.

flyngby
04-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Glad to see you 2 get out again after the long layoff.

HMMMM! Spotties down there to the south of my favorite spot and some nice ones too!

MMMMMM Lobster! Can't wait for the opener again!

Thanks for the report!

Steve

Wingnut
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey Mike, you're supposed to let the wife win! :Wink: Haha

NG, we finally get to see a report from you. I'm happy to see that you are well enough to get around and doing one of the things that you love to do... fish! The Lobster is too cool and a nice surprise. I had one let go at the last second as I was pulling it up on the Lucky Craft once.

Very nice of you guys for helping out the young man and trying to put him on some fish. The good deed won't be forgotten by Poseidon. :Wink:

Stay healthy and I hope to see more reports from you guys soon.