PDA

View Full Version : Good spinning reel

The Angler
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I just got my new trout rod (Thx Fishtaco)

Now looking for the reel to put on it so far i have been looking at the Shimano Stradic FI 2500 or the 3000 aiming more towards the 2500 though.

Does anyone have this reel or recommend something thats pertty excellent like this in in this price range. These reels cost $159.99 At BPS

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_96667_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

fuj
04-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Personally, I'd go a little smaller. I have a GLX SR842-2 and use Shimano 1000 or 1500 size reels on it. I have a Sustain 2500 FD, which to me seems a bit too big for the rod.

Liteliner
04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah i agree a 2500 is to big for trout fishing. Go with a 1000 size reel. I have two 2500 stradic mgfb's and they are good reels but the damn bail on them sucks horribly. I wouldnt recommend this reel to anybody..... Instead go with the new quantum ptiB. Im currently saving money for it so soon it will be mines.... Check it out...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLSQUANTUM-QEPBS.html

Nessie Hunter
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
2500 is way to big for a trout rod...
Your new:
Gloomis Sr842 GL3 2 PC 7' Trout Rod, should be light as a feather...
That U/L will need a 750 to 1000 size Reel at most ( I would actually try to find a 500 size)!!!

You'll be happy at the lightness and the way it feels...
Also quality is important for longevity... Shimano & Daiwa...
Lot of options with those two..... Hard to find a Daiwa that small, so stick with Shimano for 500 to 1000 size.. IMHO...

Shimano Saros
SAR1000F
Sahara
SH1000FD

The Shimano Symetre has a 500 size available * SY500FJ *
60 yrds of 6#. Should give you Plenty of 2# & 4 # line capacity.
$99 at Cabelas……

Take the rod into a tackle shop & feel the Reels on it....
I know looks dont mean anything to a REAL fisherman, but you cant help looking while you feel it on the rod.!!!

bsp
04-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Go with a Saros 1000. The difference in price between a Saros and a Stradic is not worth the performance upgrade.

HEMAN
04-14-2009, 02:06 PM
2500 is way to big for a trout rod...
Your new:
Gloomis Sr842 GL3 2 PC 7' Trout Rod, should be light as a feather...
That U/L will need a 750 to 1000 size Reel at most ( I would actually try to find a 500 size)!!!

You'll be happy at the lightness and the way it feels...
Also quality is important for longevity... Shimano & Daiwa...
Lot of options with those two..... Hard to find a Daiwa that small, so stick with Shimano for 500 to 1000 size.. IMHO...

Shimano Saros
SAR1000F
Sahara
SH1000FD

The Shimano Symetre has a 500 size available * SY500FJ *
60 yrds of 6#. Should give you Plenty of 2# & 4 # line capacity.
$99 at Cabelas……

Take the rod into a tackle shop & feel the Reels on it....
I know looks dont mean anything to a REAL fisherman, but you cant help looking while you feel it on the rod.!!!

hit me up if you are interested in the Symetre 500.. i can beat that Cabelas price..

$95 new in box, no tax.

rrawstron
04-14-2009, 03:28 PM
That 500 size is very intriguing...I would look into that as a serious option

Skyler
04-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Most people don't really think of Penn or Pinnacle (same brand pretty much) when purchasing a freshwater spinning reel, but honestly they are some of the best made spinning reels out there for the price. Check out the Affinity series in about a 1500-2000 size for lakes. 1000 size for streams. They are tough as nails, can handle being fully submersed in saltwater, and they have the finest line lay out there per turn IMO (a good 15 wraps per one spool height.) Full metal frame, lots of rust proof bearings, air bail, worm drive osillation, great casting distance, and they only run about $120 or so. Worth every penny IMO.

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/Penn-Affinity.jpg

fishaddicted
04-14-2009, 04:10 PM
shimano saros or symetre. two of my favorite reels!

The Angler
04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow thx alot i thought the 2500 would be good. I didnt want something 2 small i fish corona lake alot and usually catch trout at about 5-6 lbs so i was thinking of getting a little bigger reel that had higher rated drag.

The 500 does looks sweet though.

$4.00 off dude come on. I can probably get like $20.00 bucks off at BPS.

Whats the real Difference in the Saros & Symetre besides the size ?

Ifishtoolittle
04-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I think a Plfueger Trion GX will do you good. It's strong and inexpensive. I've been using it for 4 years now and it has ceased to fail me yet.

calico killer kevin
04-14-2009, 10:16 PM
If you ever get 200yds of 2lb line spooled by a trout, then come over to my house and kick me in the nuts cause you never will.

That being said, go with the Saros 1000. You will not be disappointed.

"I think a Plfueger Trion GX will do you good. It's strong and inexpensive. I've been using it for 4 years now and it has seized to fail me yet."
I think what you were trying to say was ceased?...lol

The Angler
04-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Yea thinking of going with the Saros. Whats the big jump though from the Symetre?

calico killer kevin
04-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Besides the $20, the Saros has Paladin gearing, spare aluminum spool, septon grips, waterproof drag, and better looks. I can justify paying the extra $20 just for the Paladin gearing or spare spool.

That Dang Guy
04-15-2009, 12:33 AM
The Symetre still feels great. I also prefer the lighter weight on that 500 sized reel. It just depends what you're looking for.

HEMAN
04-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Wow thx alot i thought the 2500 would be good. I didnt want something 2 small i fish corona lake alot and usually catch trout at about 5-6 lbs so i was thinking of getting a little bigger reel that had higher rated drag.

The 500 does looks sweet though.

$4.00 off dude come on. I can probably get like $20.00 bucks off at BPS.

Whats the real Difference in the Saros & Symetre besides the size ?

i can go $90. If you can get $20 off at BPS then i'd say get it there. Remember tax is now like 9% i believe.
just offering.. good luck with whatever you purchase. I myself have a Saros 1000F, i'd highly recommend that too.

sansou
04-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Pflueger, Shimanos, Daiwas....they're all good quality at the mid to higher range in terms of cost.

The key is: what are you planning to do with your gear?

Personally, I learned a long time ago that when you fish along creeks and rivers, you tend to break and bend stuff. (Car accessible lake fishing, especially Socal, not so much) Consequently, I don't spend more than a hundie for a reel/rod.

Likewise, it's been my observation that quite a few SoCal guys buy very high end rods and reels, just so they can lay them in pole holders to soak bait at a pay lake. LOL

Lures on the other hand....that's the expensive stuff in the long run!

tacklejunkie
04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Saros 1000 is a nice solid and smooth reel.
I use mine on bass and trout lite line 4lbs fluorocarbon.
Good drag to keep me from breaking off and good bearing arrangement.
I find myself using it about as much as some of my higher end stuff, but mostly because that stuff is (works best with) 6lb line and greater.

Lite line has been paying off lately.. and it's even funner to give the fish a better chance IMO. Takes 5 minutes to land a 4lb fish on 4lb line.

Using the reel on a cheapo $13 walmart berkeley tactix light action 6' drop shot rod. (not the UL 5'6" version)
Treating me good for what I spent on it. No breakage yet and seems to get the hook set fine with good light wire hooks.

bsp
04-15-2009, 08:22 AM
The improvements that the Saros has over the Symetre are worth the price increase. Te sapre spool, sealed drag, and paladin gearing result in a much nicer reel. Don't worry about power or drags at all. Most high quality spinning reels have more than enough drag for the light lines you fish for trout. Getting spooled, as CKC said, is not an issue either at the pay lakes.

A personal problem I have with spool sizes smaller than 1000 is memory and casting distance. Once you go down past 1000, your line starts coiling and twisting a lot more, and your casts get shorter because of the small spool. This is really noticeable if you ever use 2lb flourocarbon. A Saros 1000 has a 500 size body, so in terms of compactness the difference between it and the Symetre 500 is the spool size.

You can find a Saros 1000 for $105 on ebay right now. Go get one!

The Angler
04-15-2009, 09:35 AM
The improvements that the Saros has over the Symetre are worth the price increase. Te sapre spool, sealed drag, and paladin gearing result in a much nicer reel. Don't worry about power or drags at all. Most high quality spinning reels have more than enough drag for the light lines you fish for trout. Getting spooled, as CKC said, is not an issue either at the pay lakes.

A personal problem I have with spool sizes smaller than 1000 is memory and casting distance. Once you go down past 1000, your line starts coiling and twisting a lot more, and your casts get shorter because of the small spool. This is really noticeable if you ever use 2lb flourocarbon. A Saros 1000 has a 500 size body, so in terms of compactness the difference between it and the Symetre 500 is the spool size.

You can find a Saros 1000 for $105 on ebay right now. Go get one!

Hell yea u hit it right on the money another reason i wanted a bigger reel is cause of the casting differences. i will mainly be doing nothing but trout fishing with this reel and i have had problems with my cheap reel not casting the Thomas Bouyants far at all.
So i went with the longer rod & wanted a reel that was going to cast my Very light lures farther than 10 feet out lol

craznazn
04-15-2009, 09:49 AM
I just got a Quantum CT10PTI-B, for split shotting but has used it on my trout rod...
and I like it as well....the pic is of the 30, but you get the idea...

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/craznazn/1552924_i-687612.jpg

For messing around, I also have the ABU/Garcia C101-C. For the price, it's done it's job flawlessly and I don't have to worry about banging it on anything. It's matched up with a Browning Citori CI60-2 rod. Got the rod/reel combo from BPS for around $100 last year....

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/craznazn/91719.jpg

Sorry about the big pics....

Laters....

Liteliner
04-15-2009, 01:11 PM
That catalyst looks sexy. Is that the new model? Im saving for the energy ptiB. Even sexier.... Shimano aint got nothing on this....
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/Quantum-EnergySpinPTIB-2.jpg

calico killer kevin
04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Hell yea u hit it right on the money another reason i wanted a bigger reel is cause of the casting differences. i will mainly be doing nothing but trout fishing with this reel and i have had problems with my cheap reel not casting the Thomas Bouyants far at all.
So i went with the longer rod & wanted a reel that was going to cast my Very light lures farther than 10 feet out lol
I agree with what BSP said, but remember, he was talking about memory using fluorocarbon and just about all spinning reels have problems with fluoro and memory. Spool up with some Izorline XXX 2lb line and your memory problems will be very limited. A 7'-8' UL rod and a Saros 1000 reel would be my recommended setup for anyone and everyone that wants an all in 1 quality Socal trout setup. No need to spend more on a trout setup and remember, they're only trout.:Wink:

FISHINGBEE
04-15-2009, 01:29 PM
That catalyst looks sexy. Is that the new model? Im saving for the energy ptiB. Even sexier.... Shimano aint got nothing on this....
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/Quantum-EnergySpinPTIB-2.jpgyEH I HAD ONE OF THOSE Quantums the handle snapped off. The screw part is stuck inside. The reel was ok sure it was a pretty reel. I could care less what any one else thinks Shimano hands down is the best. Saros 1000 is the one you need. 129.00 and it cast 20% further than the quantum. Plus if i snapped my reel handle off or any damage i can send it to Shimano get it fixed either free or cheap. There located in California one Holland drive Irvine. I sent in a reel they sent me a new reel no cost. Cannot beet the friendly repair service. Quantum said tuff. You can send in the reel Shimano will bill you. And i have saved bunches of fishing line can fill a spool and keep the line till you think it should be replaced.

FISHINGBEE

kill_obet
04-15-2009, 01:38 PM
there u go!!
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/kill_obet/DSC00111.jpg

craznazn
04-15-2009, 03:33 PM
I think Sansou said it best....what are you doing with your gear? All makes have similiar qualities as the prices go up. Some have experienced better customer service with Shimano, although I didn't have any issues with my Quantum. But, the Saros looks pretty nice...but, for $35 the Abu/Garcia is a nice reel IMHO....

Pflueger, Shimanos, Daiwas....they're all good quality at the mid to higher range in terms of cost.

The key is: what are you planning to do with your gear?

Personally, I learned a long time ago that when you fish along creeks and rivers, you tend to break and bend stuff. (Car accessible lake fishing, especially Socal, not so much) Consequently, I don't spend more than a hundie for a reel/rod.

Likewise, it's been my observation that quite a few SoCal guys buy very high end rods and reels, just so they can lay them in pole holders to soak bait at a pay lake. LOL

Lures on the other hand....that's the expensive stuff in the long run!

craznazn
04-15-2009, 03:38 PM

It's the newest one...got it as a gift and it's pretty smooth....

DarkShadow
04-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Im saving for the energy ptiB. Even sexier...Shimano aint got nothing on this....

yEH I HAD ONE OF THOSE Quantums the handle snapped off. The screw part is stuck inside.

So, one person says the real is "Sexy" and another says the handle snaps off....

Liteliner
04-15-2009, 06:22 PM
yEH I HAD ONE OF THOSE Quantums the handle snapped off. The screw part is stuck inside. The reel was ok sure it was a pretty reel. I could care less what any one else thinks Shimano hands down is the best. Saros 1000 is the one you need. 129.00 and it cast 20% further than the quantum. Plus if i snapped my reel handle off or any damage i can send it to Shimano get it fixed either free or cheap. There located in California one Holland drive Irvine. I sent in a reel they sent me a new reel no cost. Cannot beet the friendly repair service. Quantum said tuff. You can send in the reel Shimano will bill you. And i have saved bunches of fishing line can fill a spool and keep the line till you think it should be replaced.

FISHINGBEE

Dang...

The only reel I've ever been happy with from shimano was my calcutta 700s. Thats it. Ive had the sahara,symetre,stradic,stradicmgfb,and they have all dissappointed. My latest two reels from shimano are the 2500 Stradic MGFB. These reels go for $240. Ive used the first one 5 times and had to take it to shimano to get repaired. The bail kept getting stuck. The guy said there was a defect part and if i had any others to bring it in and they will change the part out and things will be great. Long story short both reels have been to shimano and both reels still have messed up bails. Ive used them less than 10 times each. For 240 bucks a reel and thats the kind of treatment the reel gives me... f&%k shimano.
:EyePop: Yeah i said it.:EyePop:

Quantum all the way baby....... :Wink: I still have the original energy pti from 5 years ago and its still goin strong....

Liteliner
04-15-2009, 06:24 PM
It's the newest one...got it as a gift and it's pretty smooth....

I cant wait to get mines... Your a lucky guy...

FISHINGBEE
04-15-2009, 08:31 PM
It's the newest one...got it as a gift and it's pretty smooth.... The reel is very smooth. I got mine as present also. Its hard to believe that Shimano would suck. I also have Calcutta 50 100 200 250 400 they are the sweetest reels ever. I have had no problem with the Saros 1000. Very smooth i fish lite jigs and worms and ca cast further than most other anglers. Your choice man they are all great reels. Head to bass pro shop you can sample them and pick the reel you want. E bay and craigs list also has some sweet reels for sale cheaper than the tackle stores.

FISHINGBEE

Liteliner
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
It was hard for me to believe aswell that shimano would suck.... :Crying: My beef is with the stradic mgfb. For their second to the top reel im surprised the bail issue was that horrible. I still like the reel for its castability and drag system but the bail thing just gets annoying after a few cast and knowing you spent a ton of money on a messed up reel gets me feelin all pissy.:Confused: Shimano still makes great calcutta reels and lucanus jigs....:Razz::Razz:

tacklejunkie
04-16-2009, 07:22 AM
So i went with the longer rod & wanted a reel that was going to cast my Very light lures farther than 10 feet out lol Part of that also has to do with the line diameter. Using light line on say a Saros 1000 you can cast stuff pretty far. Using heavier line your lighter lures won't go nearly as far.

I can cast a flyline roboworm (no weight) with my Saros at least 50 feet or maybe more using 4lb fluorocarbon. You wouldn't believe how effective that is if I showed you :ROFL:

That Dang Guy
04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
It was hard for me to believe aswell that shimano would suck.... :Crying: My beef is with the stradic mgfb. For their second to the top reel im surprised the bail issue was that horrible. I still like the reel for its castability and drag system but the bail thing just gets annoying after a few cast and knowing you spent a ton of money on a messed up reel gets me feelin all pissy.:Confused: Shimano still makes great calcutta reels and lucanus jigs....:Razz::Razz:

Stradic MGFB is actually third from the top.

Stella -> Sustain -> Stradic MGFB ->Stradic

The Angler
04-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Part of that also has to do with the line diameter. Using light line on say a Saros 1000 you can cast stuff pretty far. Using heavier line your lighter lures won't go nearly as far.

I can cast a flyline roboworm (no weight) with my Saros at least 50 feet or maybe more using 4lb fluorocarbon. You wouldn't believe how effective that is if I showed you :ROFL:

Haha sweet im on my way as soon as my girl gets back from helping at my sons school to BPS get my Saros 1000.

Now dont know what line to get. I have been using Maxima Ultragreen 4Lb on my cheap combo and has been doing the job well. Does anyone recommened anything else i might drop down to 2Lb Maxima Ultragreen

Liteliner
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Stradic MGFB is actually third from the top.

Stella -> Sustain -> Stradic MGFB ->Stradic

I dont consider the Stella to exist cause I will never be able to afford a 600 dollar spinning reel. That money would be spent for the Torsa 30 instead.:Wink: See you next year Torsa baby.....:Razz:

Liteliner
04-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Haha sweet im on my way as soon as my girl gets back from helping at my sons school to BPS get my Saros 1000.

Now dont know what line to get. I have been using Maxima Ultragreen 4Lb on my cheap combo and has been doing the job well. Does anyone recommened anything else i might drop down to 2Lb Maxima Ultragreen

2lb maxima is the only way to go if your jiggin. I use four # for bait, any bobber fishing, and heavier lures like roostertails and kastmasters....

Have fun with your saros. Im sure you wont like it.... :Wink: Kidding...:Razz:

calico killer kevin
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Izorline XXX. You will never want to go back to Maxima.

NOAHNATOR
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
I personally use my Quantum Cabo PT30 & PT 40. Who cares if it is a Salt Water reel, thing is awesome. My reels look like I ran them over, but hell, in 2 years, never had a breakdown and casts just as smooth as first day I got it! I BELIEVE IN REELS, YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET!! DON'T GO CHEAP!!

http://www.quantumfishing.com/images/CaboSP_beauty.jpg

DarkShadow
04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I personally use my Quantum Cabo PT30 & PT 40. Who cares if it is a Salt Water reel, thing is awesome.

So you get like, 600-700 yards of 2 pound test on that thing or wha?

NOAHNATOR
04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
And the reason to completely fill your reel? I am happy with 250 of 6lb. I have never had a problem catching trout, on 6lb line, compared to 2lb line.

tacklejunkie
04-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Use this stuff to practice with if you like fluorocarbon.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/vanishblue.jpg
You can get it at walmart in 4lb spools of 110yrds for like $6-7. Perfect fill for a Saros 1000.
Works wonders for me for the price if I am very observant of the condition of the line and my drag settings.
Fools wild trout on even the clearest of waters with my fly rod.

The blue box of vanish is much more forgiving than the more expensive gold one. (I don't like the gold box vanish myself)

When you learn to set your drag and use this stretchy vanish fluoro (or if you already know what's going on), look into higher end fluorocarbon at specialty shops. The line and the drag play equally important parts in landing those fatties!

The Angler
04-16-2009, 04:27 PM
You can get it at walmart in 4lb spools of 110yrds for like $6-7. Perfect fill for a Saros 1000.
Works wonders for me for the price if I am very observant of the condition of the line and my drag settings.

The blue box of vanish is much more forgiving than the more expensive gold one. (I don't like the gold box vanish myself)

When you learn to set your drag and use this stretchy vanish fluoro (or if you already know what's going on), look into higher end fluorocarbon at specialty shops. The line and the drag play equally important parts in landing those fatties!

Just got back from getting my new reel :Smile:

While i was checking out the line so they can put it on for me before i left to save me some time i was going to get the Maxima Ultragreen but found a box of Maxima Fluorocarbon ? The Only Color they had was clear so i decieded to try this line the guy At BPS said it was new line that just came out so ill grapped it to try it out. Im new to the Fluorocarbon line so hopefully i like it after spending freakin 15 bucks for 200 Yrds.

tacklejunkie
04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
You'll find Fluoro is a little stiffer than your normal maxima monofiliment.
For this reason it will usually have less memory but be harder to work with (stiff fluoro will almost try to spring right off your reel when you cast it)

If you can find fluoro that's easy for you to work with, and you can build confidence in, then that's the stuff for you. :Wink: If you find yourself having line twist and breakage all day even though you know you spooled it on right and nothing is cutting your line and your drag is dialed, try a different brand. There's a fluoro out there to fit everyone's needs. Some are soft and easy to cast and others are stiff and don't want to bend at all. Mostly personal preference on what brand and style you will like and learn to trust.

Make sure you don't overfill your spool too. A little less is better than a little more. Fluoro is so stiff sometimes it will start spilling off the spool if you used too much line.

FISHINGBEE
04-16-2009, 08:57 PM
It was hard for me to believe aswell that shimano would suck.... :Crying: My beef is with the stradic mgfb. For their second to the top reel im surprised the bail issue was that horrible. I still like the reel for its castability and drag system but the bail thing just gets annoying after a few cast and knowing you spent a ton of money on a messed up reel gets me feelin all pissy.:Confused: Shimano still makes great calcutta reels and lucanus jigs....:Razz::Razz:I will sale you my Quantum for 60 bucks call quantum explain the situation ask what repairs cost and bingo you made a great deal. Honestly i think it weighs more than most reels.
Seriously cannot go wrong with the Saros 1000 I love it. It cast great no problems as of yet had mine a year or so. As for a beautiful reel cannot beat the quantum it changes colors in the sun. People start seeing this and want6 one A S A P.

FISHINGBEE

DarkShadow
04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
And the reason to completely fill your reel?

Well, with a properly filled reel, you achieve greater casting distance since the line is not as tightly coiled as it is close to the center of the spool, and the surface tension is less than if the line was laying closer to the lip. This in turn also provides less 'coils' and memory on the line with a properly filled spool.

The Angler
04-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Heres some pics of the new set-up

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/jgm3100/025.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/jgm3100/029.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/jgm3100/030.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/jgm3100/comment-friday-damn.jpg

HEMAN
04-17-2009, 02:01 AM
nice dude... very nice...

FISHINGBEE
04-17-2009, 11:49 AM
nice dude... very nice...
Great choice you wont be disapointed. This reel is the bomb.

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE
04-17-2009, 04:28 PM

When you learn to set your drag and use this stretchy vanish fluoro (or if you already know what's going on), look into higher end fluorocarbon at specialty shops. The line and the drag play equally important parts in landing those fatties! Are you a salesrep just wondering.

FISHINGBEE

tacklejunkie
04-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Are you a salesrep just wondering.

FISHINGBEE
Nope.
Just your average economic minded fisherman. That stuff is cheap and works good if you pay attention to it's condition. That may or may not mean you have to change it often, depending on how you use it.

Besides, they'd probably have me plugging gulp or something more current.

The Angler
04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I went to corona lake today and finally got to use my new set-up.

Heres my opinion on it:

1. while i was setting it up and after tieing on a kastmaster i casted out, The kastmaster took off like a bullet and just didnt stop literally and came off my line. I figuered this damn fluroline didt hold the knot well so i tried again this time with a thomas bouyant and after 3 casts the same thing. I guess i need to get used to tieing perfect knots with this flurocarbon line. The line felt really smooth and soft like it was coveered in loting or something LOL i wasnt use to that feeling at all and was hard to work with at first until i got used to it. I kept Breaking the line when tieing my knots to the lures good thing it would bust when i was tieing the knots and not when i casted out or i would have lost alot more lures.

Overall i give the line a 6/10 until further notice and use it a little more.

2. Second up is my new reel The Shimano Saros 1000f. All i can say is WOW i have never bought a reel upgarde and always used the reels that came with the combos I bought. I never knew what I was missing out on. This reel cast so smooth with little effort, Even when I was just trying to toss my lures out a few 5-10 feet they were shooting out waaay farther. It took me a few cast to get the hang of it after that it was all gravy. The drag worked very well also. When i hooked up on my first trout i had to let the fish run with it for a second while my cousin got the net and it work really well.

I give the Saros 1000f a 10/10

3. My new G-Loomis rod was nice to use. It was really light and comfortable.the hadle it fit me really well. The reel fitnicely in the handle and felt really good in my hands. they only thing i was bothered by was its size. I bought this reel to mainly fish on shore with & its pretty long at 7' it was just a hassle rigging it up on the boat with so many kids and not alot of space to work with. Everytime i was tieing on new lures i felt like removing the top piece to rig it to save space but it was all good. Kept missing my hook sets i think im not usd to feeling all the nibble like i was and was getting to excited and trying to hook the fish way to fast instead of letting them bite the lures a little more its going to take me a little getting used to.

I'll give the rod a 8/10

I know with a little more time with it fishing from the shore the rating will move up to a good 10 i gave it an 8 cause of the size of it and how hard it was to set-up in tight spaces other than that its a 10

tacklejunkie
04-19-2009, 05:55 AM
Glad to hear you like the reel.
I have a few UL loomis rods and I find them a little light for lure fishing. Even lost a golden trout and several nice browns and bows on one up in the Sierras.

I ended up getting something a little stiffer. That berkley tactix drop shot rod at walmart (6' version not the 5'6" ultralight) is killer for the money and gets the hook set great. If you get lucky it will say $50 on the rod itself but when you take it up for checkout mine came out to $13 bucks! (and the sku was actually correct!)

Best rod for $13 I ever bought. you might try one at that price just to see how it feels. Gets the hook done on the bass and the trout with ease. Makes me sick I use it more than some of my Loomis ultralight rods but it really gets the hook in better. I save the loomis rods for special small creeking applications now. Your 7 footer loomis should have some backbone to it though to get hooks in and let you cast very far.

Also, make sure you wet your line with some spit or water when you tie your knots. Otherwise they'll heat up when you sinch them down and break easy :Wink: Use the Palomar knot. (http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com) It has double line bracing.

Try some good light wire hooks on your rig. Go to Walmart and grab some "Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot" and "Owner Mosquito" hooks.
These will do you for bass and trout. Get size 2 (not 2/0) for the gamakatsu's for bass plastics and size 8 to 10 or 12 mosquito hooks for the trout baits and trout worms.
This will make it easier for you to get the hook set. For lures, make sure the treble hook on it isn't huge and thick, you can toss some pretty small lures with that setup with small trebles on them. Also, fluorocarbon can make you feel like you are setting the hook too early, since it has minimal stretch and you feel every little bump =D

If the lures are snapping off, you are either using too large/heavy of a lure for your line rating, or it's a bad knot.

The more you fish your new combo, the more you will get used to it. It should do you good all over socal.

The Angler
04-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Yea i got some Gamakatsu drop shot worms, I actuallt caught my one & only fish with a drop shot yesterday.

Also, make sure you wet your line with some spit or water when you tie your knots. Otherwise they'll heat up when you sinch them down and break easy Use the Palomar knot. It has double line bracing.

I didnt know this about wetting the line first i'll definitly try this next time out. I was using the palomar knot but i know now it was cause i wasnt wetting the line. It kept busting at the knots when I would sinch them down

If the lures are snapping off, you are either using too large/heavy of a lure for your line rating, or it's a bad knot.

The lures i were using where the smallest kastmasters u can use. The thomas bouyants also. It was defintly cause of the knots I think when i was sinching them down a little to much and making the line have a little breakage at the knots I'll be a little more careful with my knots next time around.

Thx alot TackleJunkie you been helping me out alot.

calico killer kevin
04-19-2009, 07:02 PM
The kastmasters should not be busting off. The smallest Bouyants though, are 1/6oz and would be better suited for 4lb, even though I do fish them on 2lb. For the heavier weights on a UL rod and 2lb, you need to lob cast instead of whip casting. I personally don't like the feeling of 2lb fluoro lines, so I use Izorline XXX and have had only one breakoff(spottie rubbed me up against some mussels on a dock).

With the smaller spools, you need to be careful about the line twist. Copoly line, like the XXX, has less memory than fluoro line and ties perfect knots. Lubricating knots is a HUGE factor in knot tying. If not, the line gets dented or curls up like a mofo.

You'll love the Saros, but it seems like you're kinda picky about your rods, so for the price of a G. Loomis, you could have a rod custom made for yourself. I too, don't like the action much on G. Loomis blanks. It's a little too slow for me. I would recommend a Phenix Ultra MBX 700l dropshot blank. Best blank for dropshotting and can be used for your kastmasters and Bouyants. Besides, trout season is almost over and my guess is that you're probably gonna use it to dropshot for bass.

The Angler
04-20-2009, 01:30 AM
I might use it a little for bass. I dont really do any bass fishing, I have never had anyone show me the ropes. I grew up fishing for trout using power bait & catfish with stinks,Mac, and shrimp so my knowledge isnt very good with bass

Although im fishing for trout using alot of small lures trying to get the technique down using them,I know its not the same with bass but ill give it a try drop shotting since im pretty new to drop shooting. I guess I have to do it as much as possible to get it down .

The rod is rated at 4-6 so i dont think its heavby enough for bass anyway.

calico killer kevin
04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
You should try dropshotting for bass, otherwise very soon you're
expensive trout combo is gonna be sitting in the corner.