PDA

View Full Version : How to fish from a boat for bass, catfish, and trout?

04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
This weekend I went to DVL and rented a pontoon with a couple of friends. We went over to the southwest shore that was recommended to us by the people we had asked. We fished at the 2 islands near the shore. We saw plenty of fish swimming below us, but we just couldn't get any of them to bite. We tried fishing for bass with our main poles and catfish with our spare poles.

Bass Fishing

1) What is it that I am doing wrong?
- Went to the location where majority of the people I ask say is a good location to catch fish.
- I use a dropshot rig with a roboworm.
- Cast it out and let it sink to the bottom, then start shaking the rod tip a little bit to let the bait have some action.

2) What are the things that I need to know about when it comes to fishing on a boat?

Catfish Fishing

1) While fishing for bass we through out a few poles carolina rigged with a chunk of mackerel on the hook.

2) Let the bait sink down to the bottom.

3) Had no luck the entire day at all the different locations we had visited.

Trout Fishing

1) We didn't fish for trout this weekend, but for future reference I would like to know how to fish for trout off a boat.

2) What types of rigs do we use? I normally use carolina rig with either powerbait or an inflated NC. Very seldom use a bobber, but I do in certain circumstances when it's there's no wind and I know the depth of the location where I am fishing at.

3) Ideally, how high off the floor would the bait need to be sitting for trout? What's a good amount of distance from the lake bottom you want the bait to be resting at for the trout bite? Knowing this, I will be able to adjust my leader for either fishing from the bottom with a carolina rig, or fishing from the top with a bobber.

Thank you all for your help and sharing your experience with me.

DarkShadow
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
We saw plenty of fish swimming below us, but we just couldn't get any of them to bite....

One rule of thumb I learned when bass fishing, is if you can see the fish, the fish saw you 5 minutes ago, and may be most likely spooked.

Went to the location where majority of the people I ask say is a good location to catch fish.

I take locations that are given to me by unknown sources with a grain of salt. One thing I've learned is that people keep their locations on the down low....

I use a dropshot rig with a roboworm.
Cast it out and let it sink to the bottom, then start shaking the rod tip a little bit to let the bait have some action.

That's the beauty about bass fishing. Sometimes, the fish will be biting one specific thing, and tomorrow they won't. Don't think that there is an end all be all of baits that'll get fish on the boat. You may have wanted to try other baits and presentations as well.

What are the things that I need to know about when it comes to fishing on a boat?

Aside from knowing how to swim?...:Wink:

The biggest thing to realize is that the boat is not stationary. If you are not constantly taking care of any slack line, you may miss subtle strikes because it is not being telegraphed back to the rod because of the slack line created with the movement of the vessel.

Also, you need to focus on keeping the boat in areas that hold fish. I know when I've gone out on a boat without a trolling motor, getting quality casts in the spots I was focusing on was nearly impossible since I had no control of drift.

As far as catfish and trout? I wouldn't know...all the trout I've caught there were accidental and were aggressive little buggers who decided to eat drop shot worms. I'm sure someone will chime in for those 2 species.

lurk 182
04-14-2009, 12:51 PM
yeah, it sounds like your techniques are pretty well suited for what you're trying to do. the bass are spawning right now and the only ones that are really catchable are going to be out a little deeper than where you can see bottom. trolling motor or double anchoring is the only way to keep the boat stationary and feel bites, as DS mentioned.
people mostly troll for trout, but i have very little knowledge of that game. i wouldn't worry too much about finding the latest "hot spot" at the lake, the fish just move too much, especially bass at DVL. you're better off trying to find a pattern where the fish are in so much water on a bank that's however steep, and whether those fish are there just "randomly" (because they're chasing bait wherever it goes) or whether they'e going to be in that same depth on similar banks throughout the lake. a true pattern should be one you can duplicate at many areas that have the right/same composition.
bass and catfish don't often like the same areas either so i think you'll do better picking a species and going after it, if you troll, you will get various species on the same bait but you're pleasure cruising, which is different from bass fishing, but many enjoy that too.

SOUTHPAWSTICK
04-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I think if you are not familar with the lake you should "run and gun". In other words move from spot to spot until you find fish. Try different lures and different colors until you find a pattern.

04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I've been trying everything, but I can't seem to catch any fish from a boat. At DVL, we went from the southwest shore to the south corner of the east dam, to the south shore, etc....no luck.

My gf and I just keep thinking that we're doing something wrong, because her and I are both able to catch fish from the shore, just not as many as we'd like, which is why we rent boats.

The Angler
04-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I dont know if its just luck or what but when i started fishing corona lake i started fishing from shore with very few fish caught.

After i started getting a toon and doing a little fishing here and there just feelin out the different areas of the lake the first few times i pretty much learned what spots produces for me all the time and some that will produde a few to avoid the skunk. Is all about the location in my opinion.

I feel bad for the guys that rent the toons and when its time to bring them in they have like a total of 2-3 fish to split out of 6 people. But like mentioned once u find the honey hole u aint going to give up the location that easy :Secret:

also if your going to be using Power bait just try different leader lenths being farther out in the lake = deeper water so the 12-13 inch leader will probably be way to short in 30 feet deep water.

LoL ..

These is just what has worked for me at coroan lake im not saying im some kind of boating genius angler, Just what has worked for me :Confused:

bblbasser
04-15-2009, 04:19 AM
at dvl or any lake with very clear water for that matter, you need to stay away from the depth the fish are holding and make long casts to the depth they are holding. You say you saw fish below the boat? That's the depth to cast to, not keep the boat in. If you're seeing the fish in 10 to 20 feet stay stay out a full cast away from that depth range. If you see fish in deeper water (with your eyes or the fish finder) stay up shallow a full cast away and work your lures uphill.

Also bass fishing most of the time isn't a park/anchor and fish 1 spot for hours kinda deal. You make some casts work your baits and if you don't get bit time to move on. It's a mobile sport. That's why for someone that doesn't know the lake and it's spots very well, you may want to rent one of their "deluxe bass boats" with a trolling motor, not as comfortable, but much more mobile and you ain't messing with the anchor all day long.

If you do get bit pay close attention to things like what depth you got bit, what the bottom felt like, which side of a point, hump or ledge you got bit on, how was the wind blowing into your spot, how you were working your bait just prior to getting bit, how far from the boat did you get bit, which direction you were casting in relationship to the spot you were working etc. Then try to find similar situations in that general area and try and repeat your success. Then take your new found information and apply it to other parts of the lake. That is the fun part of bass fishing.

I really hate drop shotting (even though it's very effective) and don't do it much and fish other methods that are more my strengths 95 percent of the time, but here are some things I've learned. Vary the distance from you weight to your hook to see what the fish want. Sometimes it's only a few inches other times it can be 2 feet or a bit more. A good starting point is about 10 inches. Try nose hooking your plastics and try wacky riggin' em. Have everyone in the boat try something different so you can figure it out faster. You don't have to impart much action at all as wind blowing on your line, current, the boat moving, and SLOW dragging your weight (pausing every foot or two) accross the bottom take care of that for you. FISH IT SLOW! Most casts should take you at least a minute and more like two minutes or more to fish effectively. When you fish the d/s, think of it as CONSTANTLY feeling for a bite. Most of the time when you get a bite you'll feel a very slight tick or you'll go to drag it a little and it will feel "mushy" or your line will be slack all of a sudden for no reason . Those are bites. If it feels "different" wind down and set the hook. It does no harm to swing even if it's not a bite and it cost's no money to set the hook.

Sorry about the novel, just tryin' to lend a hand. Scott

04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Wow, that's all great information. Hopefully the next time I go out on a boat I can finally figure it out. It's really depressing to spend all that money and come up empty handed every single time.

FishBalls
04-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Sweet post - spot on.

lurk 182
04-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Wow, that's all great information. Hopefully the next time I go out on a boat I can finally figure it out. It's really depressing to spend all that money and come up empty handed every single time.

you've got to remember you're fishing some of the most pressured water in the country if not the world. these fish are no dummies, its a long road to be able to get em consistently, but very satisfying for the same reason when you do figure em out. its a puzzle enjoyed by the patient angler. remember what you're there for, fish are just icing on the cake really.

Fishtaco
04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
One rule of thumb I learned when bass fishing, is if you can see the fish, the fish saw you 5 minutes ago, and may be most likely spooked.

I take locations that are given to me by unknown sources with a grain of salt. One thing I've learned is that people keep their locations on the down low....

That's the beauty about bass fishing. Sometimes, the fish will be biting one specific thing, and tomorrow they won't. Don't think that there is an end all be all of baits that'll get fish on the boat. You may have wanted to try other baits and presentations as well.

Aside from knowing how to swim?...:Wink:

The biggest thing to realize is that the boat is not stationary. If you are not constantly taking care of any slack line, you may miss subtle strikes because it is not being telegraphed back to the rod because of the slack line created with the movement of the vessel.

Also, you need to focus on keeping the boat in areas that hold fish. I know when I've gone out on a boat without a trolling motor, getting quality casts in the spots I was focusing on was nearly impossible since I had no control of drift.

As far as catfish and trout? I wouldn't know...all the trout I've caught there were accidental and were aggressive little buggers who decided to eat drop shot worms. I'm sure someone will chime in for those 2 species.

Heck DarkStain,
Will you take me fishing.

DarkShadow
04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Heck DarkStain,
Will you take me fishing.

PinkTaco,

Only if you place nice in the parking lot after the guide trip.

--DarkStain