PDA

View Full Version : Waders - How Do You Repair THem?

Just For Fun
04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I have a heavy wader made out of a rubbery type of material - not sure what it is. I bought it about 12 + years ago and just now starting to use it in our salty water to the west. Although they are insulated and quite comfortable, I’ve sprung a leak just above the boot.

I don’t know the type of material and don’t have any of the manufacturer’s documentation.

Any idea of how to repair?

Skyler
04-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Fill 'em with water and hang 'em up to find the leak. If they are the rubber kind, then a bicycle innertube patch kit should work. Stick it to the inside of the leak.

Nessie Hunter
04-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Lots of options if they are rubber, plastic or PVC..
I cant quite read the name on them in the pic??? What brand are they??
Possibly contacting that Co will get you some info on how to patch & what they are made of..
Even if it is no longer being made..

A patch kit for plastic/PVC swimming pools & air mattresses Etc, may work fine also???

Some glues will simply melt the material.. Knowing what they are made of is important....

nator
04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
ive used a glue called shoe goo. it works great on waders it will seal up real nice. just make sure you clean the area around the leak. allow the waders to dry then apply the goo and allow 24 hours to dry..or if you are impatient like me just use a hair dryer to speed up the process.

Just For Fun
04-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks all for the tips.

Other than hanging them upside down, or burning up your wife's hair dryer (like I've done before) any good ideas for drying these very long leg out?
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Skyler
04-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks all for the tips.

Other than hanging them upside down, or burning up your wife's hair dryer (like I've done before) any good ideas for drying these very long leg out?
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Manual drying works. Just take a towel to it and turn it inside out, then repeat. Then air dry it too. A lot quicker than straight air drying for sure.

CatchthatTrout
06-13-2009, 10:21 PM
ive used a glue called shoe goo. it works great on waders it will seal up real nice. just make sure you clean the area around the leak. allow the waders to dry then apply the goo and allow 24 hours to dry..or if you are impatient like me just use a hair dryer to speed up the process.

The Shoe Goo is a very good option.

J. Owen
06-13-2009, 10:56 PM
ya shoe goo thats what i recomend hands down best stuff for repair beside good ol duct tape!!:ROFL::ROFL:

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-18-2009, 02:55 PM
ive used a glue called shoe goo. it works great on waders it will seal up real nice. just make sure you clean the area around the leak. allow the waders to dry then apply the goo and allow 24 hours to dry..or if you are impatient like me just use a hair dryer to speed up the process.tis true, works good on bike tires.

TroutFrenzy
06-27-2009, 12:30 PM
i have a minor hole in the neopreme booty of my waders. how do i go about repairing it? the hole doesnt go all the way through the neopreme though.
should i use duck tape or just be very careful.

Skyler
06-27-2009, 12:51 PM
i have a minor hole in the neopreme booty of my waders. how do i go about repairing it? the hole doesnt go all the way through the neopreme though.
should i use duck tape or just be very careful.

Duct tape will not work with neoprene. It is porous at the surface. Go to a diver's suply place and get a wetsuit patch kit. That should do you just fine.

tacklejunkie
06-27-2009, 01:04 PM
They also have wader patch kits at bass pro.
I have two of the wader repair kits but have not had to use them as Simms guaranteed my last pair of waders.

bones
06-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Go to your local hardware store/automotive store/harbor freight or anywhere that sells a product called "plasti-dip". It's a product intended for dipping the handles of tools and coating them for insulation purposes.It's also called "Liquid Vinyl"
I used the product to coat all of my seams and a few nicks in my neoprene's and the leftovers to coat the front sections of my float tube to make a plastic barrier to protect my tube from another hook popping my bladder.One can of the product costs 8 bucks at harbor freight (I got black) and they have cheap paint brushes that you just throw away after using them.I actually got a second can and put about four coats on my tube and the front sections of my tube are as tough as it gets. I can't even get a hook to go through it on purpose!
It's all good now!

tacklejunkie
06-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Hmm that's a good idea too. That stuf is nice and pliable and would probably stay sealed up for a while.