PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near or around novato

ARTIMUS
04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I am a Fnn regular from so cal out here in the city of novato and then off to San Quinton over the next few months. I wanted some insight to spieceis, spots and any tips to get into some fish. Fw/Sw I just want to get a line wet so Pm me if ya want to show me the lay of the land . Any help would be appriciated thanks in advance.

Cheers

Artimus

margrave13
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
This time of year, for saltwater, your best bet would be in the bay. You've got stripers and halibut biting. If you can get live bait, you're much better off. i don't know if you've got a boat or if you prefer partyboats, but I usually fish the California Dawn out of Berkley marina. James is the owner/operator and he does a hell of a job.

You could also hit the beaches for some perch action as well. Rubberlip like the rocky areas and kelp forests. Use mussels or pile worms. BSP and redtails are quite common in the sandier areas. Just remember that redtails need to be 10 and 1/2 inches to keep. I like to fish them using a small grub, carolina rigged. Look for the rips. Fish the edges and out past them, as the perch will be holding in those areas.

Good luck!

ARTIMUS
04-14-2009, 10:23 PM
thanks for the info much appriciate I may just take a look at the boat and try the shore as well. I really want to get into some stripers and hints as to specific locations would be great I would guess maybe the deltas just dunno.

thepuma
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Good Luck up there bro. Let me know if you hook into anything.:Smile:

Poxy Boggards
04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
It's not super close to where you are, but you could try the McNair Beach Pier. There is usually some decent striper action out there as well as Halibut. Live bait works best, but cut anchovies will work as well.

You could also drive a bit farther, and head into the Carquinez Straights. There is a pier in Crokett/Port Costa that you can catch striper and Sturgeon from.

thepuma
04-16-2009, 06:44 PM
You are so close to the bay there. Are you going to try shore fishing in the bay? maybe not worth it, having never been there. reminds me of when I went to MD. I had to figure it out on my own. At least here you have a forum with folks that are willing to help. Good Luck.

ARTIMUS
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Fished a couple of ponds and water sources near here, gonna grab some other gear when i go back home this weekend and give it a better effort next week the local bait stores have closed and have to go elsewhere for bait maybee try that. used to catching them on lures but saw some people catching them on chovies . thanx for all the info guys

trail blazer
04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Good luck up there bro

white bucktales and broke back rebbles and early morn on pencil poppers

find you a tackle shop near you up there and they will have good local info.

I lived up there yrs ago<SANTA ROSA> and this is how i stay,d on the stripers back then

Poxy Boggards
04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Just an FYI, all stripers caught in the bay must be atleast 18" long.

ARTIMUS
04-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Just an FYI, all stripers caught in the bay must be atleast 18" long.

Yup I am C&R ing all fish mainly due to the fact I do not have the facilities to prepare them for a tatey meal.But thnx for the info gonna venture out maybe this weekend maybe to the petaluma river.