PDA

View Full Version : Lure choice

pasadenafishin
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I have a little honey hole where i catch a lot of fish over 5 lbs. All these fish were caught on the drop shot, that seems to be the only thing these fish will hit. I have fished with spinner baits and jigs and crank baits for NOTHING but, when i swich to the d/s i immediately catch them. I am getting bored of fishing with a d/s so my question is what do you think will catch fish with here?

hughpam
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I use tubes and d/s both. They are worked in the same areas, just differently.

pasadenafishin
04-13-2009, 04:17 PM
well i am just bored with the d/s

HEMAN
04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Sounds like they are just focusing in on the worms? are there any shad in this honey hole?

have you tried anything else worm related?
texas rig? C-Rig? wacky head? shakey head?

troutslayer05
04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I dont think i would ever get bored of catching 5+ pound fish, no matter what i was catching them on.....thats just me tho..

pasadenafishin
04-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Sounds like they are just focusing in on the worms? are there any shad in this honey hole?

have you tried anything else worm related?
texas rig? C-Rig? wacky head? shakey head?

its funny because, i have and couldnt get anything

THROWBACK RANGER
04-13-2009, 05:29 PM
You should use a helicopter lure or a banjo minnow! They work, i saw these guys using them on t.v.

lurk 182
04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
try a jig, a senko, and flukes. jigs catch big fish period, the senkos and flukes you can fish weightless b/c it sounds like those fish want the bait up off the bottom a little. c-rig comes to mind.

bsp
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Go all out with the swim baits! I'd get a hold of some bass imitators if this pond does not get stocked with trout. Nate Baits Baby Bass if you can find one, 3:16 bass, Swimbaits Inc Bass, Triple Trouts in Bass... you get the picture. If you want soft plastic bass, that is going to be much harder. There is a bass pattern Stocker Trout, and 8in Hudds should work in phantom green.

If you don't have confidence in the big stuff, 6in Hudds, Mattlures Hard Gills (and Ultimate Blue gills), Rago Rats, Black Dog baits Shell Crackers, Mini MS Slammers, and
3:16 Mission fish will all work as well. These will attract your 4-5lbs, and give you a better shot at the really big bass in your pond, like the 7s and 8s that are probably there. Maybe even an 11lb or 12lber!

The reason I like swim baits so much is that they are just fun to throw whether you catch anything or not. If you are bored catching fish on the drop shot, swim baits will help with that since you can constantly experiment with what the bait can do. Each bait is different so experiment! I am by no means an expert, but those baits should work for you. The ones I can personally speak for that work are 3:16s, BDB, MS Slammers, Mattlures, and Hudds (sadly no Triple Trouts yet). The others are made companies that have good reputations, so I doubt you will go wrong.

Be sure to post a report soon with those 5lb bass!

Skyler
04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Two words: Hard jerkbaits.

Socal Bassman
04-13-2009, 09:15 PM
A lot of good suggestions so far. But I have to ask you a few questions:

1) What time of day are you fishing? Morning, afternoon, night?

2) What is the water like (ie. color, clarity)?

3) How deep is this honey hole of yours?

4) What kind of cover/structure is available?

IMO, these are all important factors you must consider when it comes to lure choice and/or color.