PDA

View Full Version : 28 foot Fishing boat

tbone
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
My brother inlaw just got offered a free 28 foot fishing boat but the only catch is that he needs to pay some tags and registration fees. How much can this cost in the state of California? To be more specific in SoCal

sb fishing
04-13-2009, 12:30 PM
DMV will want the state taxes, but if it's free there shouldn't be charge.

Tags for the trailer is a flat fee and I think its good as long as you own it??

As far as the boat should be more them $100.00 every two yrs.

I have a 20 foot boat and its only like $38.00 every two yrs.

Not sure about your county but our county charges a "vessel" tax and thats is figured out on the value of the boat.(238.00 every year which su*ks)

I hope this helps.

sb fishing

BIGRED KILLA
04-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Free boats can cost more then pre new boats in the long run.

Bigred

tbone
04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah I know it can cost more than a new one in a long run. But I think for now seeing its free I might jump on it and just learn from it. This would be the first boat that I own so it would be a nice starting point. I'll post more updates tomorrow after I go look at it.

Nessie Hunter
04-13-2009, 04:55 PM
No one gives away a 28' boat free.. If its in any reasonable condition....
Given that, the following applies:

28' boats are DAM HEAVY, what ya going to tow it with?? Going to pay for a slip??
Registration (boat & trailer), Luxury tax ("vessel" tax), Insurance......

Upkeep and maintenance will break the average guy on a new boat...

You CAN NOT low ball an Ocean boat. It HAS to be in good working order!!!!
Or you will DIE and probably take others with you.....

Just price enough Marine paint to do the hull...
(That should scare you away in itself).....
Radios, Sonar, Depth finders, Bilge pumps, running lights, bearing buddies & trailer bearings ( I wont even start on the Power unit)... I could go on for a long time.....

A lot depends on the age & condition of the boat, but I would think twice.....

BIGRED KILLA
04-13-2009, 05:42 PM
No one gives away a 28' boat free.. If its in any reasonable condition....
Given that, the following applies:

28' boats are DAM HEAVY, what ya going to tow it with?? Going to pay for a slip??
Registration (boat & trailer), Luxury tax ("vessel" tax), Insurance......

Upkeep and maintenance will break the average guy on a new boat...

You CAN NOT low ball an Ocean boat. It HAS to be in good working order!!!!
Or you will DIE and probably take others with you.....

Just price enough Marine paint to do the hull...
(That should scare you away in itself).....
Radios, Sonar, Depth finders, Bilge pumps, running lights, bearing buddies & trailer bearings ( I wont even start on the Power unit)... I could go on for a long time.....

A lot depends on the age & condition of the boat, but I would think twice.....

X2

Just cause it is free does not mean it's a good deal. If you know what you are going into and know what to do on boats and you know how to work on them and you have a plan that will be a diff story. I know how hard it is my Dad has a 28 ft skippy and he had to do a new over haul on it from head to toes repower with twin diesels new electronics trailer paint/bottompaint pumps batteries i will stop there he put 50,000+ in to it. When you are out in the big pond and you go off shore 30+ miles you cant half a4s things out there esp in bad weather. Also remember how much it will cost to fill her up do you have any pics of the boat good luck.

Here is my dads boat to much $ and time to get there.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj43/bigredkiller/034.jpg

Bigred

supasportkid
04-13-2009, 07:34 PM
i bought a 21 ft. bayliner trophy 3 months ago for 2500. the seller took me out on a test run and it ran great. so far in just basic maintanence and a new gps/fishfinder, ive already put over another 1000 into it. sometimes i feel that it might have not been worth it, but fishing season hasnt came yet, that can make it really worth it, or make me really regret it! so if you take the boat, keep in mind, like the other comments, you might be investing thousands! good luck

Hog Caller
04-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Nessie is 150% correct. You CAN NOT cut corners on an ocean going vessel. You can and will most likely will die if you do. Everything must be in top working order before you venture out. Things can get VERY ugly VERY quickly when out there.

I lost three friends when I was in Texas a few years ago that tried to go 80 miles out with two newly rebuilt engines that failed 30 miles out in 5 - 8 foot seas on a 28' Mako. They never found any of them. I never went offshore with this guy because he liked to drink too much and took too many chances. I told my other friends that his lack of respect for the ocean will catch up with him one day, unfortunately he took two others with him.

I used to have a 21' bayliner that I regularly took out 30-50 miles , but I also had a sattelite phone, waterproof handheld GPS (to give coordinates) inflatable raft, wetsuits, dry storage for food and water for a few days and all safety equipment, flares, etc. Never took any chances and thank god never had to use any of it.
Just remember it's your life at stake and enjoy the boat. Offshore fishing rules!

H/C

sansou
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Headhunter.

Anyone remember that little fiasco? LOL

BIGRED KILLA
04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Headhunter.

Farmy loved him.

Bigred

sansou
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Farmy loved him.

Bigred

:ROFL:

Before or after breaking down on the way to Catalina, and drifting for hours before calling Vessel Assist? ha ha!!

tbone
04-14-2009, 03:09 PM
I think I am also going to ask to go on a run with the owner prior to me taking it over. Just to make sure there is not that much significant damage to the boat.

BIGRED KILLA
04-14-2009, 03:42 PM
:ROFL:

Before or after breaking down on the way to Catalina, and drifting for hours before calling Vessel Assist? ha ha!!

No breaking down 2 miles out off the marina going to the horse shoe.lol

Bigred

tbone
04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't mean to get off of the topic here but have you guys ever seen something last this before?

"Marlin fishing on a 14 foot skiff out of Newport Harbor, Southern California. We were 8 to 15 mile off our Coast. We caught 4 Marlin in 4 Consecutive Days out Fishing. All were Caught on Live Mac..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pjaE-3UufY

Nessie Hunter
04-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't mean to get off of the topic here but have you guys ever seen something last this before?

"Marlin fishing on a 14 foot skiff out of Newport Harbor, Southern California. We were 8 to 15 mile off our Coast. We caught 4 Marlin in 4 Consecutive Days out Fishing. All were Caught on Live Mac..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pjaE-3UufY

Bruce Watson does it all the time in his 14' tin can.... No Marlin that I know of but lots of Y/T etc... Ive been out there with him...

Tail Chaser
04-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Headhunter.

Yep!... He broke every rule in the book.
And charged like 80.00 bucks to go maybe 5 miles offshore.
He invited me along for some fishing on his boat.
He did not mention his price for an invite till after we were underway.

We only broke down for about an hr.
I guess he learned his tactics from working with Lawyers :ROFL:

Tail Chaser
04-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Make sure the hull is not completely rotted out.
Then check the cost of the parts that may need to be replaced before you sink a dime into it.

DMV cost are cheap.
One time trl tags.

Sales tax is what you say, or reciept says you payed for boat.
Prop tax is off sale price or low bluebook.

I payed 100.00 dollars for the 26' boat in my avatar :Secret: