PDA

View Full Version : Abalone trips this spring '09'

diamondbear
04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
JUST A QUICK NOTE on the Abalone season is here now and a trip is planned for the North Coast of calif. [ mendicino co. ] Our next trip is april 25-27 , and maybe may 9-11 ,23-26 and maybe again on some dates in june . All trips are only happening IF GOOD WEATHER is up there but if you ever wanted to go and give it a try [ 600 miles one way , 10 hours ] and don't mind COLD WATER , the area is just awesome and your invited . state campgrounds with hot showers is there for the family campers . I might have room for 1 in my truck with One-Leg being the other guest already invited , or fallow us up in your rig . The local dive shop has everything needed for a dive for a rental fee of like 35.00 doll. TIMES ARE TOUGH NOW but you only live ONCE and with the great whites up there you never know how true that is , lol lol // db

Captain Boracho
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Certified diver, working onshore dive #300! maybe ill save it for this trip! Own all my own gear and have transportation for myself up there, just shoot me a pm with any more info you can provide. Thanks!!

mullet
04-13-2009, 09:23 AM
850 miles one way , 10 hours ????????

FISHNCHIPS
04-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Snorkels only,tanks are not legal for abalone. It's a blast but know the regs and be careful,the fines are unreal and the state needs the money. I started out just rock picking on the lowest tides,didn't even have to get in the water but now venture into shallow water and find it easier to find legals.
I'm 7 hours from Mendocino but on the other end of the state. If you get into some urchin,try it. I couldn't believe how good it was. take the ones that have bright roe and cut the others in half as they compete with the abs.

spartafish
04-15-2009, 03:39 PM
each one of those weekends works perfect for me! what campground was it that you guys stayed at?

diamondbear
04-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Jared , I was hoping you could make it up there , were staying at McKarricher State beach in Fort Bragg on hwy. 1 [ about 2 hours north of frisco on hwy. 101 to the town of Willits and turn west on hwy. 20 , like 22 miles to bragg and go north a couple miles ] I'll pm you and keep you updated . check out a cool website , abaloneten.com and check out all the cool short videos on everything about abalone . // steve

steelhead
04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow I didn't know Fort Bragg was the hotspot for those things. I been to McKarricher a few times while living in northern cal it's is a great park and it should be nice in the summer. I wish I could join you guys. By the way if you guys want to drive inland a little bit past Willits there's Clear Lake and the fishing can be exceptional.

spartafish
04-15-2009, 08:55 PM
hows the camping there? should reservations be made far in advance?

mkadaddy
04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
http://abaloneten.googlepages.com/tendivers

murrieta angler
04-16-2009, 03:01 PM
When does abalone season end?

diamondbear
04-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Abalone season runs from april 1st thru end of nov. [ closed for entire month of july ] Jared the camping is the BEST of any State campground [ 1-800/444-7275 ] with clean hot showers BUT the problem I learned long ago is if you make a reservation [ a must on holiday weekends , as this memorial weekend will be one of the lowest tide days of the season neg. -1.7 ] your kinda comitted on going or you have to cancel and pay a slight cost for canceling , as this next weekend of the 25-27 there might be a chance of rain and BIG SWELLS , not sure yet but now till wed. theres 10 ft. wind waves and 4-6 ft. vis. under water , not very fun going so far . last year when one-leg and myself went up there the campgrnds. were way empty as the fuel prices scared people away . Theres also a private campground right next to McKerricher [ south side ] called Green acres and also a good place to camp. I'll keep you up dated on conditions up north . // db

FISHNCHIPS
04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
I've decided not to make that trip to Westport. If I'm going to have my head bitten off by a Great White,I'd like it to be in good weather and calm surf.
It's no fun being rolled around in the rocks and kelp. I'm looking at those 1.9'
& 2's later on to get my crusty old 11 incher farther north.

spartafish
04-21-2009, 02:31 AM
you guys still headed up this way even with the snot forcasted for the weekend?

diamondbear
04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Jared , I sent you a PM and its a no go for this weekend as its going to be blown out . google , Fort Bragg weather [ 3rd. down calif. bragg ] find the marine forcast as we would be diving sun . I'll keep up dated on our next attempt . // steve

GdHkSet1
04-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Db
Look forward on seeing pics of your trip, hope you guys have a great time-take care.

Troutman65
05-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Steve, wish I could make it. Its just not in the cards for me this year. Looking forward to the report. Good luck.:Cool::Envious::Big Grin:

diamondbear
06-01-2009, 08:02 PM
this is the third time ive tried this year but big surf and now a nasty plankton bloom has keeped us from going so far this year . if bragg was closer i would of gone like 5 times already , ha . maybe later this month but your welcome to go anytime patrick . // steve

twopatch
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Hello everyone,my name is Jay. I been living up in sacramento for 11 years now. "I used to live in Agoura hills." Any ways The Ab's are still plentifull on the north coast. I go all the time. I think you guys will find this site helpfull http://saltpointoceanconditions.com , I use it every time I plan a trip. Salt point has campgrounds. It is on the southen end of the good Ab area. It is 1/2 way between S.F. and Ft. Bragg. usally the farther north you go the better water conditions. I hope you all find this helpfull.