PDA

View Full Version : distrubing sence at legg lake today.

smokinflies
04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
first off. i know how to spell "scene and "disturbing". it's just a typo.
and i'm unable to change it.

anyways, i was out at legg lake today fishing the usual spots with my primo, when i noticed this kid throw something that looked like a blanket into the water.

so i'm looking at him, wondering up he's up to, and thinking if i should tell him something. as i start walking towards him, he starts to pull the object back out of the water.
i'm thinking cool, he took it out. then i look again when i get a little closer to him and noticed that the blanket wasn't a blanket at all, but instead it was a freakin fishing net.

now i know i'm not the dfg, but i had to do something, so i just told the kid that what he's doing is illegal, and if the cops catch him doing that, they'll take him to jail. he dropped the net right away.

i seen alot of screwed up things at legg lake, but this tops the list.

a biley
04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
dumb *** retards... throw him in the lake

Koshaw
04-11-2009, 10:55 PM
He is so dumb he may kill the fish ;)

MAN VS WILD
04-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Now that really sucks. Too many things go on there. My dad was fishing there 2 weeks ago when they stocked trout ( he hasn't fished in years). He came to my house all excited telling me that he had caught 2 trouts on a lure. Then he says "these guys were even catching with no bait" and I told him WHAT? He said yeah these guys were just using a big treble hook and were catching fish. I told him no, that they were snagging fish, which is illegal. Where is the DFG when stuff like this happens. They should be around especially when they stock the lake, that's when all the idiots come out.

Ifishtoolittle
04-12-2009, 12:40 AM
was out at legg lake today fishing the usual spots with my primo, when i noticed this kid throw something that looked like a blanket into the water.

so i'm looking at him, wondering up he's up to, and thinking if i should tell he something. as i start walking towards him, he starts to pull the object back out of the water.
i'm thinking cool, he took it out. then i look again when i get a little closer to him and noticed that the blanket wasn't a blanket at all, but instead it was a freakin fishing net.

now i know i'm not the dfg, but i had to do something, so i just told the kid that what he's doing is illegal, and if the cops catch you doing that, they'll take you to jail. he dropped the net right away.

i seen alot of screwed up things at legg lake, but this tops the list.

Hey bro you spelled Scence wrong, but a net at the Legg that's crazy! Thanks for the info though I'll be sure to look out for harpooners :LOL:!

hughpam
04-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I see it differently. It is bad that he did it, but at least he stopped when told. Maybe you got through to him. I bet he just sees a society that disregards laws and responsibility so often that he didn't know he was supposed to care.

Let's hope he has a new perspective because of what you did. Keep it up!

ghetto dad
04-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Hey bro you spelled Scence wrong, but a net at the Legg that's crazy! Thanks for the info though I'll be sure to look out for harpooners :LOL:!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Isn't it supposed to be "scene".....:ROFL:

Spellchecker Dad

bluehunter
04-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I see it differently. It is bad that he did it, but at least he stopped when told. Maybe you got through to him. I bet he just sees a society that disregards laws and responsibility so often that he didn't know he was supposed to care.

Let's hope he has a new perspective because of what you did. Keep it up!

Agree, you will be surprised to see how many kids who really don't know any better because they have not been exposed to a better way or not having someone in their surroundings to tell them right from wrong. Many of us have been socialized to right from wrong and to some form of ethics. There are many parents are out there that is devoid of such nature plus many environmental sitations as well.

richaaron
04-12-2009, 08:39 AM

Spellchecker Dad

Not only that, I think it's supposed to be "Disturbing" not "Distrubing..." Where's DEADROOTS when you need him...? Ah, nevermind. Who need's him...

ghetto dad
04-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Not only that, I think it's supposed to be "Disturbing" not "Distrubing..." Where's DEADROOTS when you need him...? Ah, nevermind. Who need's him...

lmao...omg..i didnt even catch that one!!! Good eye man

GD

richaaron
04-12-2009, 08:52 AM
lmao...omg..i didnt even catch that one!!! Good eye man

GD

How's the weather down in HB? Heading down that way for breakfast at Harbor House in a couple of hours...

JediMindTricks
04-12-2009, 09:01 AM
youll be suprised how many people youll catch snagging fish, even netting. caught some guy snaggin fish the other day, so i told him that it was illegal and alls he said was, "i know, watch my back, i dont have a license either".

i just walked off. he caught 1 bluegill and a largemouth.

joebass
04-12-2009, 09:53 AM
to bad we with the licence cant be the eyes of the dfg and start issuing tickets/warnings to these idiots who are destroying the fisheries

smokinflies
04-12-2009, 10:33 AM

yeah i noticed that i spelled scene wrong too. i tried to change it before deadroots(the human spell checker) nails me for it but i'm unable too.

just watch. half of the post here are gonna be about my spelling error.

just for the record, i suck when it comes to spelling. i barely passed english in hs with a D-.

just messin deadroots.

damn, i just noticed that too.

screw it! this isn't an english klass.

jerryG
04-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Agree, you will be surprised to see how many kids who really don't know any better because they have not been exposed to a better way or not having someone in their surroundings to tell them right from wrong. Many of us have been socialized to right from wrong and to some form of ethics. There are many parents are out there that is devoid of such nature plus many environmental sitations as well.

Yeah guys no need to be hating on the Poacher, he didn’t mean to poach he was just misunderstood. He’s just like all the other Poachers who didn’t understand… They didn’t mean to destroy the bass fishery at Legg over the last year. Sure take all the fish in the lake...Give me f%$^ing Brake.. I do understand your guys point but it does apply to the situation taking place at Legg.

Here’s a scenario for you guys:

If you get pulled over for driving 100 miles per hour on the highway and you tell the cop “Oh I didn’t know there was a speed limit enforced”.

Then when the cop asks for you a license and registration you say,
“Oh I didn’t know I needed a license to drive a car”!
“Registration”? "What's that"?

As your being arrested the cop likely let you know that ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. The laws are designed to protect people (fisheries).“Hallelujah”

I agree people need to be educated before they hit the water but at the same time ignorance is no excuse for the law. The Poachers at Legg have been made well aware of the restrictions several times yet they have shown no interest obeying the laws and continue poaching. When confronted they played stupid.... They have been given too many chances already and the fishery has taken the hit as a result. I would say it’s been time to give the courts and the judicial system a chance to teach them.

JerryG

fisherman9
04-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah guys no need to be hating on the Poacher, he didn’t mean to poach he was just misunderstood. He’s just like all the other Poachers who didn’t understand… They didn’t mean to destroy the bass fishery at Legg over the last year. Sure take all the fish in the lake...Give me f%$^ing Brake.. I do understand your guys point but it does apply to the situation taking place at Legg.

If you get pulled over for driving 100 miles per hour on the highway and you tell the cop “Oh I didn’t know there was a speed limit enforced”.

As your being arrested the cop likely let you know that ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. The laws are designed to protect people (fisheries).“Hallelujah”

I agree people need to be educated before they hit the water but at the same time ignorance is no excuse for the law. The Poachers at Legg have been made well aware of the restrictions several times yet they have shown no interest obeying the laws and continue poaching. When confronted they played stupid.... They have been given too many chances already and the fishery has taken the hit as a result. I would say it’s been time to give the courts and the judicial system a chance to teach them.

JerryG

Its not the kids fault entirely, he most likely didn't know the law. Blame the parents not him.

IMO when you get a fishing license you should be given the DFG handbook.. read it and asked 3 random question out of it, and have to get them right in order to get your license or something along those lines.

Just an idea, probaly won't help with the poachers since there ignorant, but at least it will inform the new fisherman so they can't say " i didn't know"

pasadenafishin
04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
why does this not suprise me!

jonshibata
04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
That was a distrubing sence alright!

Ifishtoolittle
04-12-2009, 05:14 PM

Spellchecker Dad

Scene LOL sorry. Even I need spellcheck!

Ifishtoolittle
04-12-2009, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=smokinflies;331229]yeah i noticed that i spelled scene wrong too. i tried to change it before deadroots(the human spell checker) nails me for it but i'm unable too.

just watch. half of the post here are gonna be about my spelling error.

just for the record, i suck when it comes to spelling. i barely passed english in hs with a D-.

just messin deadroots.

I spelled Scene wrong too LOL!

bruce watson
04-12-2009, 07:54 PM
A lot of the blame for the increase in illegal castnetting (poaching) should go to corporate greed. WalMart is selling Hawiian casting nets in all of their Southern Cal stores even tho they have been informed that they are illegal in this part of California. Do like I do, complain to the managers and tell them that you will not buy your fishing gear at WalMart until they correct the situation. It's time to stop this poaching cr@p.

hughpam
04-12-2009, 09:47 PM
A lot of the blame for the increase in illegal castnetting (poaching) should go to corporate greed. WalMart is selling Hawiian casting nets in all of their Southern Cal stores even tho they have been informed that they are illegal in this part of California. Do like I do, complain to the managers and tell them that you will not buy your fishing gear at WalMart until they correct the situation. It's time to stop this poaching cr@p.

Good idea. I'm in on this.

jerryG
04-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Its not the kids fault entirely, he most likely didn't know the law. Blame the parents not him.

IMO when you get a fishing license you should be given the DFG handbook.. read it and asked 3 random question out of it, and have to get them right in order to get your license or something along those lines.

Just an idea, probaly won't help with the poachers since there ignorant, but at least it will inform the new fisherman so they can't say " i didn't know"

I agree it's not the kids fault and the consequence should be put on the parents. They should be cited not the kid.. I also agree with the fishing license questions..

Jerryg

Skyler
04-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Not that far fetched really. We have to go through all that to get our hunting licenses. And it's not a simple 3 questions on the hunter eduction test, it's 100 of 'em! I'm with you. We need a mandatory "Angler Education" class IMo.

Skyler
04-13-2009, 10:27 AM

Not really plausible. Cast nets are still legal in saltwater for catching baitfish. So they have every right to sell them. That's like saying selling trebles bigger than 1/0 encourages snagging, so they should be illegal. IMO, You can't really blame the person selling the stuff, the final decision to break the law rests with the individual purchasing it.

On another note, they also sell those RC boats with the fishing rig attached at Walmart, even though in California it is illegal to harvest ANY fish or game by aid of remote controlled device. They also sell Nunchaku and throwing stars at martial arts stores, even though they are illegal to possess. Just because you can buy contraband from reputable suppliers, does not make it legal, or even excusable...

joebass
04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
well put skyler.

Asecino420
04-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Crazy Legg Lake...Where i come from we use our caps to catch our dinner...or sometimes we stand by a small waterfall hoping that a fish will land on my hay sombrero...but thats just where i come from...Eh doing at the local lake...idk bout that one...

check this... Last Last weekend i saw a guy fishing with a spear yellow handle black spear...fishing near the tullys...i was like "what the ****" Hope you break and ancle...

well im out...sad to see this happening...

bluehunter
04-13-2009, 05:27 PM

JerryG

The comparison you made has it points but does not apply to a child. A child has no license to drive. Now if this was a teenager aged kid it could have some merit but a 12 or 13 year old(young teenager) still have ignorance of a lot of things, even common sense in a lot of cases. I see it daily with the exercising of poor judgement. The bottom line is they need to be exposed and told. The first post talked about a kid, not an adult aged person.

I can take a bus load of kids to the beach, If I do not brief them on the dangers of the waves and the current sometimes having enough force to pull you away from the shore to the open water, I may actually have several of them get caught in such situation and being pulled out to open water. You see many kids just don't know because many of them never seen a beach unless it was on TV.

I would give the child a break and not put him in the same category as an adult poacher per say.

megafisher94
04-13-2009, 05:36 PM
can you call the 1-800-caltip hot line? does it do anything? ive had it in my phone sence the last time i went to seal beach pier. i saw people using a 10 INCH HALIBUT AS BAIT!!!
they caught another halibut(far below legal but bigger than the other one) with it and kept that one!
people piss me off sometimes...

richaaron
04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
can you call the 1-800-caltip hot line? does it do anything? ive had it in my phone sence the last time i went to seal beach pier. i saw people using a 10 INCH HALIBUT AS BAIT!!!
they caught another halibut(far below legal but bigger than the other one) with it and kept that one!
people piss me off sometimes...

Thats what that number is for. Don't get your hopes up though. I've called it several times and only once did DFG show. Too bad it was 4 hours later and all the poachers had already left...

old pudd fisher
04-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Good point and I agree, Thats nuts that they sell them.:Neutral:

bruce watson
04-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Not really plausible. Cast nets are still legal in saltwater for catching baitfish. So they have every right to sell them. That's like saying selling trebles bigger than 1/0 encourages snagging, so they should be illegal. IMO, You can't really blame the person selling the stuff, the final decision to break the law rests with the individual purchasing it.

On another note, they also sell those RC boats with the fishing rig attached at Walmart, even though in California it is illegal to harvest ANY fish or game by aid of remote controlled device. They also sell Nunchaku and throwing stars at martial arts stores, even though they are illegal to possess. Just because you can buy contraband from reputable suppliers, does not make it legal, or even excusable...

You may use a casting net to catch bait ONLY in Northern California. Not here. As for larger trebles, they are a legit way of fishing in the ocean and some people use them for catfishing.

BassLady
04-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Ive thought about buying pepper spray or some kind of protection because im the type of person who cant keep things to myself and I will go ballistic if I ever saw someone snagging fish. Id cut their line and push em in the water in a heart beat and I know thats not the smart thing to do but Im not the type to just walk away.

I talked to a guy today who gave me alot of good advice bout fairmount. He was telling me some spots where bass where spawning and said that he caught 2 a couple of days ago. He then told me that he snagged them, I about choked. However he assured me that he released them, they were on the beds he told me about so I believed and thats probably the only reason I didnt get cross eyed crazy on him. I told him though if you ever see me when you're snagging fish you better tell me to walk away because I will go ape ****. It really bummed me out

Skyler
04-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Ive thought about buying pepper spray or some kind of protection because im the type of person who cant keep things to myself and I will go ballistic if I ever saw someone snagging fish. Id cut their line and push em in the water in a heart beat and I know thats not the smart thing to do but Im not the type to just walk away.

I talked to a guy today who gave me alot of good advice bout fairmount. He was telling me some spots where bass where spawning and said that he caught 2 a couple of days ago. He then told me that he snagged them, I about choked. However he assured me that he released them, they were on the beds he told me about so I believed and thats probably the only reason I didnt get cross eyed crazy on him. I told him though if you ever see me when you're snagging fish you better tell me to walk away because I will go ape ****. It really bummed me out

There is always a simpler solution. For instance, when I see people trying to snag visible bass with trebles I just cast over their line repeatedly until they move. Then I follow them, lol. Keep talking to them in a friendly manner. Just be their annoying lost puppy dog, lol. There are other ways to go about it too. One time I actually worked my lure into a nearshore snag on purpose and waded in after it (thus scaring the bejesus out of the four fish he was attempting to snag). Another time at the same park, there was a guy with a crossbow pistol with a pile of line attached to the bolt, trying to shoot spawning bass. I followed him around the pond repeatedly dropping lit cigarretes and setting gear on his line until he left. He lost all his bolts, lol. Just be creative. There are lots of ways to make people uncomfortable enough to give up, without being the bad guy, he he. And they don't neccesarily involve the physical confrontation that you and I both truly desire (that could get us or somebody else hurt, lol).

lurk 182
04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
those are some nice tactics, making things too uncomfortable for these peeps. i was thinking that somebody actually took a pic of a poacher putting bass in his ride about a month ago. maybe yall should walk up to these guys and take their picture point blank. when they head for their car, follow them and take another picture of the license plate. when you first show up, walk behind all of the cars, obviously taking pics of their plates in case you see a guy snag one and he breaks for the car before you can get over there. after a while, hopefully these guys will figure out that there's more anti-poachers than them. Bass Lady, can you believe somebody told you they were snagging, like its no big deal? even the helpful people just don't get it. hopefully the DFG would be willing to do something, at least send a notice to the address that the DMV has for the car's registration, get em scared a bit.

Sebastian323
04-14-2009, 01:29 PM

ive seen people netting tilapia out of Balboa, keeping the big ones and feeding the small ones to the birds

BassLady
04-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Bass Lady, can you believe somebody told you they were snagging, like its no big deal?.

Seriously!! I asked why the hell would he be snagging bass? and he said he doesnt have the proper equipment to be fishing for them so I told him he shouldnt be trying to fish for them then.

Skyler
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Seriously!! I asked why the hell would he be snagging bass? and he said he doesnt have the proper equipment to be fishing for them so I told him he shouldnt be trying to fish for them then.

That's a typical socal ghetto response. Just assume that you can't do something properly, then find a way to half-*** it and cheat your way through. One of the main reasons I'm leaving this wretched necropolis. I'm sure he's never tried a dropshot, carolina or texas rig. I've used those rigs on bass with trout and catfish gear many times. You don't NEED "the right gear," you just need "gear." Hell, I remember using one rod for ALL my techniques for several years when I was a teenager. I guess everybody has an excuse though.

Mobydick
04-16-2009, 07:20 AM
He is so dumb he may kill the fish ;)
I think his intention was to catch fish and eat it so yes he will kill the fish....

The sadder part is that he did not learn this himself, an adult must have showed him. I wouldn't be surprised if the dad was somewhere nearby because he knew that if a kid does it, it'll be less penalty if any at all.

Mobydick
04-16-2009, 07:27 AM

Harpooners would be the least of my concerns....I'd be more concerned about dynamites!!!

Koshaw
04-16-2009, 08:45 AM
The DFG bless em are too over worked and understaffed. I have heard from others that you CAN call a cop and they WILL RESPOND :D and with speed!

Remember if you see this take pics if you can discretely.

You can also go back to your car, take pics of THEIR car if they are dumping fish into cooler there and over fishing the limit, or doing snagging or any of the other C*RP the idiots do.

THEN call da cops/sherrif!

From what I understand they will do something about it. I heard from a friend that they witnessed in the Sierras, a bunch of guys snagging and that the cops came along and busted all of em, fined em thousands of $, took their equipment AND deported some of the idiots who were here illegally!

More power to those catching these jerks!

NICKYMOUSE8
04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
yeah guys no need to be hating on the poacher, he didn’t mean to poach he was just misunderstood. He’s just like all the other poachers who didn’t understand… they didn’t mean to destroy the bass fishery at legg over the last year. Sure take all the fish in the lake...give me f%$^ing brake.. I do understand your guys point but it does apply to the situation taking place at legg.

If you get pulled over for driving 100 miles per hour on the highway and you tell the cop “oh i didn’t know there was a speed limit enforced”.

“oh i didn’t know i needed a license to drive a car”!
“registration”? "what's that"?

As your being arrested the cop likely let you know that ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. The laws are designed to protect people (fisheries).“hallelujah”

i agree people need to be educated before they hit the water but at the same time ignorance is no excuse for the law. The poachers at legg have been made well aware of the restrictions several times yet they have shown no interest obeying the laws and continue poaching. When confronted they played stupid.... They have been given too many chances already and the fishery has taken the hit as a result. I would say it’s been time to give the courts and the judicial system a chance to teach them.

Jerrygcapitol!!!!a-******* men

jayfish0084
04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
You know what is dumb is they sell those nets at wal-mart. Thats probly where he got it from. I was dumbfounded when I saw them there in the fishing section. I thought to myself, ok there illegal but here walmart is trying to sell them to people who really dont know ne better. They figure oh hey I'll just buy one of these and catch fish this way.

Simplyeman
04-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I say we hang the kid.

otisdis
04-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Now if they made cast nets and snagging legal this would have never been a problem.

lurk 182
04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
You know what is dumb is they sell those nets at wal-mart. Thats probly where he got it from. I was dumbfounded when I saw them there in the fishing section. I thought to myself, ok there illegal but here walmart is trying to sell them to people who really dont know ne better. They figure oh hey I'll just buy one of these and catch fish this way.

there are many places where cast netting is legal within a few hours drive from your favorite WallyWorld. they're a store. stores like to make money. they'll sell any product that there is a demand for. the sad part is that there's quite a demand for local use apparently.

GeordyBass
04-16-2009, 01:06 PM
You don't NEED "the right gear," you just need "gear." Hell, I remember using one rod for ALL my techniques for several years when I was a teenager. I guess everybody has an excuse though.Same here...(even if i'm still a teenager...lol...)...I used to use a Berkely Lightning Rod and a quantum reel for everything!lol....that was 2 or 3 years ago when i was about 13....Now I spent all my damn money on my Crucial/Sol setup....and Stella/Gold Cup rod(ahhh,bps)....I'm begining to be like ghetto_dad with no Avets...:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

JediMindTricks
04-16-2009, 01:37 PM

snagging and releasing? those fish are more likely to die..... in the lake.
i know what you mean though, i saw the guy catch a largemouth, when i went to see it, i noticed he had a huge bare hook on his line.......... i almost puked with disgust. here iam fishing for them with no luck, and this prick is snagging them. i wanted to tell him to get the F outta there, but instead i just warned him about it being illegal, he shouldnt do it, yada yada, when i could see he had no care whatsoever i had to just walk off and hope he gets caught..... i did try though. some people just dont give a fudge........... :Guns:

maybe one day will see one again and will toss him in the water.......

Ifishtoolittle
04-16-2009, 03:38 PM
snagging and releasing? those fish are more likely to die..... in the lake.
i know what you mean though, i saw the guy catch a largemouth, when i went to see it, i noticed he had a huge bare hook on his line.......... i almost puked with disgust. here iam fishing for them with no luck, and this prick is snagging them. i wanted to tell him to get the F outta there, but instead i just warned him about it being illegal, he shouldnt do it, yada yada, when i could see he had no care whatsoever i had to just walk off and hope he gets caught..... i did try though. some people just dont give a fudge........... :Guns:

maybe one day will see one again and will toss him in the water.......

Hey dude just to let you know people like that will never change, but here's an idea bring some old useless gear and cast over those people and try to tangle them up. That'll tick them off LOL!