PDA

View Full Version : Kern River Help

slixx
04-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Thinking of taking my father-in-law on a trip to Kern River next month for some trout fishing, never fished the area, any tips on where to go, thanks

Skaguy04
04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
The fish are there, but you really have to go out and find them. What I mean by that is you really have to move out there. Remember, there have not been any fish plants in the lower or upper river since November.

I would recommend just going to Isabella for trout. There are still lots of fish remaining from the derby, as well as Alper trout.

slixx
04-11-2009, 10:19 PM
The fish are there, but you really have to go out and find them. What I mean by that is you really have to move out there. Remember, there have not been any fish plants in the lower or upper river since November.

I would recommend just going to Isabella for trout. There are still lots of fish remaining from the derby, as well as Alper trout.

Thanks for the info on issabella, but my father in law wants to do some stream fishing, I asked him about bishop, but he said kern river (closer drive for him) and I heard about the halted fish planting too, but was considering trying our luck just didn't know where to start, but thanks again for the info

Tom
04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Thinking of taking my father-in-law on a trip to Kern River next month for some trout fishing, never fished the area, any tips on where to go, thanks

Next month will start a small spawning run up from the lake. This happens every year in May. If you fish the mouth of the river where it enters the lake you should be able to get a few Large trout. The closer to the river bed you can get the better.
Every year depending on the water levels the entrance to the lake of the river will change.
Most of the time you can start Somewhere Near the Cemetery and move up stream.
The lake is stocked with many trout each year and they tend to get all steamy in may..June..and sometimes into July.
Some years the run is large and other it is small..But All years trout of 7-9lbs are caught (many from 2-5lbs) as well as a few Silver Salmon that were stocked in the lake.
Yes Silver Salmon are in lake Isabella. They get stocked about every 10 years, but never seem to grow much more than about 5lbs maybe do to Poor spawning runs (assumption) Good Luck
Tom

slixx
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Next month will start a small spawning run up from the lake. This happens every year in May. If you fish the mouth of the river where it enters the lake you should be able to get a few Large trout. The closer to the river bed you can get the better.
Every year depending on the water levels the entrance to the lake of the river will change.
Most of the time you can start Somewhere Near the Cemetery and move up stream.
The lake is stocked with many trout each year and they tend to get all steamy in may..June..and sometimes into July.
Some years the run is large and other it is small..But All years trout of 7-9lbs are caught (many from 2-5lbs) as well as a few Silver Salmon that were stocked in the lake.
Yes Silver Salmon are in lake Isabella. They get stocked about every 10 years, but never seem to grow much more than about 5lbs maybe do to Poor spawning runs (assumption) Good Luck
Tom

Thanks for the info I will look into that

joe man
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
The lower Kern was stocked even though they stopped stocking the upper. I have had pretty good luck in the Sandy Flatts/ Hobo area on the lower. If your father is up to a little hiking you may do well to get away from the easy access areas and move around as was stated in the previous post.

slixx
04-12-2009, 12:40 PM
The lower Kern was stocked even though they stopped stocking the upper. I have had pretty good luck in the Sandy Flatts/ Hobo area on the lower. If your father is up to a little hiking you may do well to get away from the easy access areas and move around as was stated in the previous post.

Thanks for this info my father in law loves hiking so that wont be a problem I'll look into this too

FISH ON
04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
The lower Kern was stocked even though they stopped stocking the upper. I have had pretty good luck in the Sandy Flatts/ Hobo area on the lower. If your father is up to a little hiking you may do well to get away from the easy access areas and move around as was stated in the previous post. hey Joe man i think there is no stocking on the lower because of the flathead minnow. that is a registered endangered species but yet the lower is full of them. there was talk they would lift the ban but haven't herd they have yet. did you hear they did . been catching stockers lately up there ??

joe man
04-13-2009, 10:42 PM
hey Joe man i think there is no stocking on the lower because of the flathead minnow. that is a registered endangered species but yet the lower is full of them. there was talk they would lift the ban but haven't herd they have yet. did you hear they did . been catching stockers lately up there ??

The word I got from the Isabella Derby orginizers was that the lower was not affected by the court order which stopped the stocking of the Upper. I also read that it was the upper which was affected while the lower would continue to be stocked. If I am wrong then they failed to put out reports of the lower stocking ban.

Skaguy04
04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
The word I got from the Isabella Derby orginizers was that the lower was not affected by the court order which stopped the stocking of the Upper. I also read that it was the upper which was affected while the lower would continue to be stocked. If I am wrong then they failed to put out reports of the lower stocking ban.

Thats a big negative
Kern River sec 0-4 will NOT be stocked in Kern County and Kern River sec 5-6 in Tulare County...

Kern River Sec. 1 (Democrat Beach to Lower Richbar); Kern River Sec. 2 (Sandy Flat to Democrat Beach); Kern River Sec. 4 (Power House #3 to Riverside Park, Kernville; Kern River Sec. 5 (Fairview Dam to Lazy River Lodge); Kern River Sec. 6 (Johnsondale Bridge to Fairview Dam);

slixx
04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Thats a big negative
Kern River sec 0-4 will NOT be stocked in Kern County and Kern River sec 5-6 in Tulare County...

Kern River Sec. 1 (Democrat Beach to Lower Richbar); Kern River Sec. 2 (Sandy Flat to Democrat Beach); Kern River Sec. 4 (Power House #3 to Riverside Park, Kernville; Kern River Sec. 5 (Fairview Dam to Lazy River Lodge); Kern River Sec. 6 (Johnsondale Bridge to Fairview Dam);

From what I've gathered about the stocking I can assume that the DFG has not stocked that area 0-4, hmmmm maybe i should reconsider talking my father in law into going to the sierra instead which are just over the mountains by isabella.

Anyways you guys have been such a great help on this matter, and I just want to say thanks again for all the information

Intofishing
04-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey Slixx check out this site they are still catching lots of fish on the upper kern http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

slixx
04-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey Slixx check out this site they are still catching lots of fish on the upper kern http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Sweet, thanks for the site, looks like that will be a lot of help thanks again