PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been up to Lassen/Burney area yet?

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Was wondering if anyone here has been up to the Mt Lassen / Burney area yet this year. Some areas are fishable all year, like Baum Lake. I've seen the Cal Trans Cam pics of the nearby roads and there's not much snow now. Just wondering.......I'll be going up there in July staying in Old Station. Can't resist the free lodging every year.
TTFM

FISHNCHIPS
04-11-2009, 05:48 PM
FISHNCHIPS lives in Hat Creek,just down the road from Old Station. Don't forget to eat at JJ's. I've been doing yardwork all day and have a sunburn. It's very nice here,a little rain yesterday but nothing you couldn't fish.
Baum lake is great year round fishing as well as Big Lake,Lake Britton(crappie and smallmouth) I have trophy trout right outside my door so I don't get too excited about them. My favorite is a 5 mile hike into the Thousand Lakes Wilderness for a grill load of brookies,of course I carry in a little butter and onion. Pit river is good for big brown's during the salmon fly hatch.Hat Creek should be well stocked this year as Crystal Lake Hatchery nearby had more money for feed and grew considerably more fish.
See you up here!!!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey thanks FishNChips. I've fished Pit River before but didn't know there were smallmouth bass in it. A couple years ago I thought I hooked a good sized brown which turned out to be a 3 lb smallmouth. I've met the guy that used to be the chef at the Pit River Lodge, he was also a guide on the river. I won't name names, but I'd bet you know my bro-in-law who has a nice newly built log home in Old Station. We'll be up there near the end of July for the chicken BBQ. Great little town with great people. Can't wait for my annual trip!
TTFM

FISHNCHIPS
04-13-2009, 04:32 PM
The Pit river,which I raft a bit in the summer,has rainbow,browns,crappie,smallmouth,carp,big catfish and the Pit River Squawfish which grows to 4 feet long and has fooled me a couple of times into thinking I had a world record smallmouth on in Lake Britton. They will hit a crappie jig when you're least expecting it and scream line off like a shark. just hiked in past the lodge to scout a catfish spot that I will hit in May.
I know one of the past chefs,just ate his fantastic cooking at the Rex Club in Burney the other day.I know everyone in Hat Creek but don't get up to Old Station much since Uncle Runts closed. It's a great area and right now it's T-shirt weather but still a good cap of snow on the surrounding peaks.
Like I said,I don't get excited about trout but I'm hitting a unique secret spot on opening morning for some rare landlocked natives.

FISHNCHIPS
04-13-2009, 04:38 PM
The Pit river,which I raft a bit in the summer,has rainbow,browns,crappie,smallmouth,carp,big catfish and the Pit River Squawfish which grows to 4 feet long and has fooled me a couple of times into thinking I had a world record smallmouth on in Lake Britton. They will hit a crappie jig when you're least expecting it and scream line off like a shark. just hiked in past the lodge to scout a catfish spot that I will hit in May.
I know one of the past chefs,just ate his fantastic cooking at the Rex Club in Burney the other day.I know everyone in Hat Creek but don't get up to Old Station much since Uncle Runts closed. It's a great area and right now it's T-shirt weather but still a good cap of snow on the surrounding peaks.
Like I said,I don't get excited about trout but I'm hitting a unique secret spot on opening morning for some rare landlocked natives.