PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Mexican waters from SD

al35
04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Hello,

I've never been on one of these boats that go to Mexican waters from SD for 1 or 1.5 day trips, but want to try. Do the Mexican coast guard ever check people on these boats? I'm not a US citizen, and not sure if I need a visa to go Mexico. Probably being too cautious, but I wonder if they ever actually check the documents.
I understand that I need a Mexican fishing license, but I wonder about the visa.

fuj
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I suppose it could happen, but it has never happened to me. Ordinarily, if you're at sea the entire time on a US sportfishing boat, the Mexican Navy isn't going to hassle you. It can't hurt to have your visa or passport with you, though. If the boat has to dock somewhere along the Baja coast, you'll be glad you brought it.

On these trips, you won't (or shouldn't) have to worry about purchasing a Mexican fishing permit on your own. The boat should have done it for you in preparation for your trip, and the cost of doing so is usually stated in the trip price.

Ricky-Ray
04-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Hello,

I've never been on one of these boats that go to Mexican waters from SD for 1 or 1.5 day trips, but want to try. Do the Mexican coast guard ever check people on these boats? I'm not a US citizen, and not sure if I need a visa to go Mexico. Probably being too cautious, but I wonder if they ever actually check the documents.
I understand that I need a Mexican fishing license, but I wonder about the visa.

Overnight and 1.5 day trips from SD you will have to purchase a mexican permit but that's usually part of the ticket price or it will be advertised as permits extra.

On these trips you don't need to have a passport and I've never been hassled by the mexican navy. Although I did have a friend that was on one trip where the navy boarded them and mainly they talked to the captain and made sure all of his paperwork was in order and then they were gone in 5 mins. They never bothered any of the anglers.

Usually anything under a 3 day I don't bother bringing my passport along. If it's longer than that then I would pack it along just in case.

al35
04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the answers!
Any advice on an overnight boat? Which ones are good? Would be great to get a tuna or a yellowtail. I guess May is probably too early for those...

That Dang Guy
04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Typically the starting time for tuna is July 4th.

sansou
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
If you are NOT a US citizen, you most definately will need to bring your passport.

Darius
04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Some law enforcement agencies have sanctuary laws where it "protects," (i hate this word) aliens from being reported to ICE, etc.