PDA

View Full Version : No sturgy this trip - but caught my best wildlife photo ever!

FishWisher
04-10-2009, 02:16 PM
I headed to Brannan Park near Rio Vista, Calif. on Wednesday, boat in tow behind the motorhome, to spend a couple of days chasing another sturgeon.

I spent about 4½ hours fishing near the ship channel off Decker Island on Wednesday afternoon. I used eel, as usual, and occupied much of the time tossing old, frozen shad that had been in Wifey's freezer. I tossed shad not to the fish, but to the gulls that seem to check me out regularly when I'm fishing that area. It was while tossing shad to a Bonaparte's Gull that I caught the best wildlife photo I've ever taken. Now, that may not be saying much as I'm not much of a photographer, but I did get lucky.

The next day, Thursday, I cruised about 25 miles downriver - in the rain - to Suisun Bay and my honey hole near Garnet Point. I spent much of that time trying to keep warm and dry - while faithfully trying for that one little sturgy nibble that might give me some bragging rights. But after nearly seven hours of trying, and at the end of the incoming, I reeled in and headed back upriver to the warm, dry coach for the night.

This morning I loaded the boat and headed for home - still in the rain and still no sturgy. Maybe next time.

Dale