PDA

View Full Version : another white seabass question

gavin310
04-10-2009, 02:01 PM
i feel like i'm asking way too many questions lately, but i guess that's what these boards are for right?

for the white seabass, i'm thinking of spooling my reels with 60 lb. spiderwire braid, then maybe like 50 yards of 25 lb. mono topshot. Does that sound about right?

Cangler
04-10-2009, 02:08 PM
They're not line shy , the hard part is getting them to bite ...

20 - 30 lb mono works just fine if your set your drag right ...

Ricky-Ray
04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Yep...getting them to bite is the hard part. If it's WFO and the ghost are biting full speed they will even bite on 50#. If it's a scratch bite you may have to go down to 25 or 20 or even for a few brave souls 15#.

Bring some flourocarbon in 20-40 so depending on the situation you can change your leader out quick and hopefully you'll get a bite.

gavin310
04-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Yep...getting them to bite is the hard part. If it's WFO and the ghost are biting full speed they will even bite on 50#. If it's a scratch bite you may have to go down to 25 or 20 or even for a few brave souls 15#.

Bring some flourocarbon in 20-40 so depending on the situation you can change your leader out quick and hopefully you'll get a bite.

hmm so instead of topshot could i just use braid as my main line and then a mono or flourocarbon leader, right? i'd much rather do that since if i need to drop down on line size i don't have to replace all my topshot. how long of a leader would you recommend for WSB?

Ifishtoolittle
04-10-2009, 02:53 PM
25lb sounds good. I had a friend who caught one using a calcutta and 20lb test on a 10-20lb set-up.

Cangler
04-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I had a hook up last year on a 15lb calico set up and gave my rod to the deckie , who earned his tip .....

Just fish within your skill level and you'll be fine

Ricky-Ray
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
hmm so instead of topshot could i just use braid as my main line and then a mono or flourocarbon leader, right? i'd much rather do that since if i need to drop down on line size i don't have to replace all my topshot. how long of a leader would you recommend for WSB?

Here's what I would do. Since I have several setups, I'd bring a 20, 25, 30 and 40# setup, and bring the flourocarbon also. I can always tie a 5 ft flouro leader onto the mono and fish it that way.

If your limited on 2 setup's then I'd probably put a heavier mono on there and then use lighter flouro topshots on there. Just make sure you set the drag to the lowest pound test line you have on the rod.

Catching seabass on lighter line can be done but it takes more time and more patience. Just remember don't pull so hard, they have soft mouths so you can pull the hook from their mouth easily.

LBSea
04-10-2009, 05:29 PM
If you are going on a party boat I would stay away from the braid. I know a few boats and deckies that are not that keen on people using it on crowded boat due to what it does to any other mono line it touches, especially if you are not that familiar fishing for Seabass in the first place. Furthermore if you get stuck on the bottom you need to be careful how you break it off. Use your rod and you will snap it in half, use your hands and you will cut them. Go with 30lb P-Line and you should be fine!

KID CREOLE
04-10-2009, 08:42 PM
You really only need two rods to fish white cbass. A 8 to 9 ft, 20lb line rod for fishing a leadhead near the kelp or in shallow on the beaches, also a 8 ft 30-40 lb rod for fishing the squid and jig combo in deeper water and at night.

Now this is the basic set up for SCI and Catalina, the Channel Island style of cbass fishing is completely different.

Here's a warning to fishing light line, first, cbass have teeth, they can and will chew through line.

The concern, cbass are short fighting fish, if you hook a good size cbass, say 30 to 40 lbs and het gets into the kelp they can die from a fight, trying to get a cbass out of the kelp once it has died is almost impossible with out a mask and snorkel

Here are a pair, 45 lb on the left, me on the right with a 48lbr, shallow water fishing 40lb Jinkai, they're not line shy

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Robert_Stefancbass.jpg