PDA

View Full Version : The Pudd 4/10/09

icachum2
04-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Hit up the pudd for a bit more than an hour this morning to try a new Californian rod i got yesterday its a 7'6" light action, I can say it gets a light weight a good distance. I started at the south shore with a drop shotted red power worm. I worked from the swim beach to 100 yards west of the dock where the trout were really active, constantly breaking the surface. Sure enough, a hookup. This little guy is peelin' 2# line like a champ, my shimano stradic 1000 drag delicately spun without breaking the fragile line. Soon enough I could see it was a stocker rainbow about 12-14" then he spit out the hook, safely released strong and healthy.
Several more casts including yellow and brown worms with no more bites, but they are still active jumping and splashing more than before. Time to switch to a Diawa shinner crankbait. 2nd cast and bammo! now the line is peeling with authority. I wasn't making any headway with this one so I tightened up the drag a bit and then with the added pressure he jumps, it's a LMB, no pig but a scrappy fighter. About 2-2 1/4# my guess and landed just in time, two barbs on the treble had beed straightend. (note to self: replace with better hooks)
A few more casts of the shinner produced another rainbow a little 10-12" stocker, safely released to grow big and strong.
About that time, a father and son set up nearby who had only caught one little stocker on powerbait, so I gave the son my shinner and coached him through a couple of retrieves focusing on the speed and pause to get a good swimming action.
Well I got what I came for, a little personal time off and got to break in a new rod.
Lots of fun with a bonus of 2 rainbow stockers and 1 LMB.
Thanks for reading, tight lines....

thepuma
04-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Great report. sounds like you had fun. I don't think I have ever used a pole that long with such a light pound test. That sounds fun too. I hate it when the hooks get straightened out. I have had the same thing happen in the Duct with Stripers.
Thanks for sharing with everyone...
:Smile:

old pudd fisher
04-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the post, I believe in long light poles when fishing from shore so you get out thier far.

Simplyeman
04-12-2009, 03:38 PM
a true fisherman...helping others learn.

basscatcher
04-12-2009, 04:55 PM
good job out there.

God Bless

basscatcher

"HE HAS RISEN"

HelloBendo420
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
nice job teaching the youngins!
a true fisherman indeed