PDA

View Full Version : CDM Report 6/16 (0630 - 1300) - Macs, Cuda, Butt

ddrahn
06-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Beautiful day out on the jetty at Corona Del Mar. Arrived at 0630 at the end of the low tide. Not too windy and water was clear with very little salad floating on top. Before heading out to the end of the jetty, I tried tossing a Big Hammer (4") around the small finger jetty at the end of the walkway. Nailed a 18-20" Butt on the 5th cast (he hit it about 4 feet from shore.

Got out to the end of the jetty and fished multiple baits (shrimp, squid) on sliding rig and hi/lo set up and alternated with tossing med to large Krocs and Kastmasters. Bite was slow in the morning but picked up around noon with the high tide. Got a nice variety of fish with macs definitely being the dominant species.

Tally for the day was:
- one Butt on 4" big hammer
- approx 30 macs (8" to 15") on Krocs
- one 12" Cuda on a Kroc
- one 10" Spotted Bay Bass on squid a hi/lo set up (double hookup with a thornback skate)
- 2 thornback skates
- 1 Bat Ray (probably 20 lbs -broke me off before I could get him to the rocks)

Saw one one guy hook into a calico that probably ran 16-18" that came off the hook as he was lifting it out of the water. Probably the biggest calico I've seen hooked at the jetty.

I also saw a school of 6 dark colored, 16-20" inch fish cross past the end of the jetty and turn into the harbor. Tried to get them to nail a Kroc but they were gone too quickly. Strong possibility that they were Bonito as earlier in the day I did see some bait boils around the end of the jetty. If so, they're about a month earlier than last year.

Overall, it was a beautiful day at CDM.

SanDimasLMB
06-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Nice report and good job on all the fish. Those mystery fish were probably barracuda 8)

ddrahn
06-17-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure they weren't barracuda - they weren't quite that slender.

Wingnut
06-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Maybe Macks or Bonito? Thanks for the report.

G-Man
06-18-2007, 10:06 PM
The Bonies are'nt in yet, but that place is famous for HUGE green mackerel and plenty Barries! Nice report, thanks.

Oh, and there are huge schools of Mullet that cruise that jetty, big ones! They fooled me into thinking Bonhead, Mossback, etc. :!:

smokehound
06-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Pacific Needlefish?

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/pneed/pneedsnow182a.jpg

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/pneed/pneedsnow182a.jpg in case the first doesnt work.