PDA

View Full Version : East Walker 4/9/09

Smells_Fishy
04-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow what a beauty, congratulations. Got to take up fly fishing and get up there one of these days.

Big Country
04-10-2009, 09:21 AM
You don't have to know how to fly fish, you just need to go barbless.

Junior
04-12-2009, 05:06 PM
First, I am not a "purist" in anyway. I have more skin mounts than most and enjoy trout on the BBQ.

It is true, you don’t have to know how to fly fish to catch fish. Anyone can pinch barbs and land a fish with the "three prongs of death."

However not everyone can land a 30" fish with a single, barbless hook on a fly rod. (or a spinning rod) It is a skill that can take a while to master, but fly fishing is a challenge and a great time for any skill level. Anyone can learn to fly fish, its not out of anyone’s grasp. If you have the desire to learn, pursue it.

Throwing trebles really takes little to no skill. The mortality rate of "caught and released" fish on a treble is greater than you would imagine. Even a barbless one. There is no required hook set, or corner of the mouth hook set. And how many fish have you seen foul hooked with a treble?

It is possible for fish to survive, but the chances of a potentially mortal wound are far greater with a treble hook than a single hook any day.

So toss "barbless" Rapalas and Kastmasters all you want, and feel good when you let a bleeding fish swim away, just know that you probably won’t see that one ever again.

Or take up fly fishing and learn something new. At the very least, change out the treble hooks on your Rapalas and Kastmasters to singles, so you can catch the one you released last week.

buck liggett
04-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Sound like a "purists" to Me! I know for a fact if I showed up on the E-dub
with an ugly stick & worms I would get some hard looks & get labeled
"Bait Hucker" amongst other things?
Although, I do agree the East Walker deserves some respect, seeing as how it is easily accessable & the fish stress easy especially in the summer months.
To people that want to try fly fishing? Really should try it, it's a blast!
Don't let the elitists intimidate You! Their just walking billboards for simms & the only thing They'll do is mumble under their breath & move on!

Junior
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Buck, dude, where'd this come from?
Bait hucker?
Simms Billboard?
What'd I ever do to you?
Did some searching, Mundo said something about youtube? I dont even have a Youtube account.

Ouch, Sorry man. Didnt mean to offend. Just voicing my opinion.

buck liggett
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Buck, dude, where'd this come from?
Bait hucker?
Simms Billboard?
What'd I ever do to you?
Did some searching, Mundo said something about youtube? I dont even have a Youtube account.

Ouch, Sorry man. Didnt mean to offend. Just voicing my opinion.

I'm only teasing you dude! You should know that by now! Sounds like I gotcha though...lmao
Besides We know who the real "purist" Simms boy is :ROFL:
I'll be seeing ya soon, I'll buy ya lunch for hurting You're feelings.
Looks like about 5-6 of Us WILL be doing A20 for sure this year!
BTW hows the EW producing so far?

Junior
04-29-2009, 11:54 AM
:ROFL:

SUCKA

Just playin Buck, got ya hook line n sinker. Got a tip from a birdie that you were throwin darts my way, figured i could counter sneak-attack. Havent been out on the EW ina few weeks but the Bowfishing for carp on the res is getting ready to kick off, shot one at 22 lbs on sunday, going out again tomorrow.

buck liggett
04-29-2009, 12:02 PM
:ROFL:

SUCKA

Just playin Buck, got ya hook line n sinker. Got a tip from a birdie that you were throwin darts my way, figured i could counter sneak-attack. Havent been out on the EW ina few weeks but the Bowfishing for carp on the res is getting ready to kick off, shot one at 22 lbs on sunday, going out again tomorrow.

LMAO with You!
Now You owe Me lunch! Or better yet Our little buddy can buy...lol
About the bait hucker, comment? Sorry, I now thats how You make a living!
I'll go carp shooting with ya when I get there, but You have to handle them
eewwwwww gross. BTW I'll be looking for a good guide when I get there. Is Willmo going to be available?

Big Country
04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Junior,

I fish it both ways...I was just saying that it had to be barbless. I agree with you on the trebles and I usually prefer single hook jigs anyway (because it is easier to dremel off the barbs) because of the challenge.

I obviously don't get to fish the EW as much as you, but I too am protective of the river and certainly voice my concerns when I see people doing the wrong thing.

So relax...purist! J/K

Junior
04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Big Country

I am relaxed:Big Grin:Just let me climb down from my soap box.

I wasnt trying to direct my last post at anyone specific, it was kind of provoked at the same time this thread showed up. So to fill everyone in....

A couple of days before the thread, I was fishing the EW and seen a couple of spin fisherman upstream a ways, no problem, I spin fish there too. Looked over a couple minutes later, noticed a large rapala-ish lure w 3 trebles being tossed. Hoped that the barbs were pinched/filed and figured they were, the regs are posted everywhere and pretty well known. A couple minutes later I glanced over at some movement, see a fish being fought, he got it close to him, lifted it out of the water with the rod, caught it like you would a bass, wrestled the hook out and let it go. About a minute later, I see a bellie up brownie bleeding like a stuck pig floating downstream. Probably an avoidable outcome with a little less laziness and a little more forethought. Thats when the soapbox was pulled out, dusted off and here we are.

PS For anyone else if you want to learn to fly fish, please try it. Youll like it.

Junior
04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
And dont tell anyone else you use jigs down there, I dont want them to know what works really well when your running spinning gear.

Big Country
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Gotcha brother...I meant single hook TB's.

I would have let loose on those guys, but cooler heads always prevail!

Better it was you and not me.

buck liggett
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Dang now theres two purists...lol
Due to the lack snowpack up there this year, the BP res will dry up = no boats launching from the marina the river will get hit hard, but theres no fish in the EW anyways! Besides all the brownies are in the twins & Robinson!

Big Country
04-29-2009, 05:08 PM
correct...all the browns are in the twins & robinson.

craznazn
04-30-2009, 12:05 PM
First, I am not a "purist" in anyway. I have more skin mounts than most and enjoy trout on the BBQ.

It is true, you don’t have to know how to fly fish to catch fish. Anyone can pinch barbs and land a fish with the "three prongs of death."

However not everyone can land a 30" fish with a single, barbless hook on a fly rod. (or a spinning rod) It is a skill that can take a while to master, but fly fishing is a challenge and a great time for any skill level. Anyone can learn to fly fish, its not out of anyone’s grasp. If you have the desire to learn, pursue it.

Throwing trebles really takes little to no skill. The mortality rate of "caught and released" fish on a treble is greater than you would imagine. Even a barbless one. There is no required hook set, or corner of the mouth hook set. And how many fish have you seen foul hooked with a treble?

It is possible for fish to survive, but the chances of a potentially mortal wound are far greater with a treble hook than a single hook any day.

So toss "barbless" Rapalas and Kastmasters all you want, and feel good when you let a bleeding fish swim away, just know that you probably won’t see that one ever again.

Or take up fly fishing and learn something new. At the very least, change out the treble hooks on your Rapalas and Kastmasters to singles, so you can catch the one you released last week.

Ditto that...well said Junior...BTW, again thanks for the info on how to flyfish...