PDA

View Full Version : shimano cardiff 300a questions

gavin310
04-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I have a cardiff 300a. i'm going to show my lack of experience with ocean fishing here, but in what types of situations could i use this reel in the ocean other than casting lures out? i have it spooled with 15 pound line which the reel holds about 170 yards of.

bsp
04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
You could use it for light fly lining if there is no chance of anything big showing up. You could also use it for bait and waiting for shark on the beach. Just take time in landing the fish, and be sure to follow it up and down the beach.

calico killer kevin
04-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Perfect for summertime fishing. Usually 1/2 and 3/4 day boats don't fish more than 70ft for bass, sheeps, etc so you can dropper loop anchovies, sardines, squid, etc. You can also flyline since that reel can handle lighter baits.

You can also use it for just about anything from shore or piers. You have a very versatile combo there, so it should be good for most things.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Ive got the cardiff 300, with a fenwick hm7 med heavy 8.5 ft. Casting rod. I toss hard baits ,spoons ,or plastics ,and bait, and wait. You should, be able to handle any fish ,from shore, or 1/2 and 3/4 day. You still never know whats going to hit in the ocean from shore, or boats.ive handled bat rays in the med size range ,with my setup, but i have well over 220yds ,of line capcity using crystal fire line 8lb dia 20lb rated. In case casey jones decides to eat.

joebass
04-11-2009, 01:30 PM
thnx for the input.im bidding on one now for$ 60.00 on e bay.from what you guys are saying about it that is just what im looking for. an all around reel.and i always like kevins input.