PDA

View Full Version : Light tackle rockfish reccomendations

Ifishtoolittle
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Does anyone here on the board have any suggestions as far as light tackle rockfishing goes? I do have a 20-40 graphite USA 7'11" with a accurate boss magnum 197 narrow. It's loaded with 65lb spectra and about 30yds of 20lb mono. I've used this set-up for albacore and white sea bass, but is it decent for deep water rockfishing? I've even read reports of guys using line as light as 12lb.

cappo
04-09-2009, 08:37 AM
That should be a good setup, just add a 30-40# topshot. You dont want to be using light line in case you hook two big RF. I would go with 30# mininum.

calico killer kevin
04-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I usually don't fish over 25lb, so just add topshots accordingly.

Ricky-Ray
04-10-2009, 01:50 AM
That setup should be fine but I would put a heavier topshot on. At least 25-40# mono. You want the heavier line not because the fish are big but because of the abrasion resistance to the rocks. Using 12# line you could rockfish with it but be prepared for ALOT of cutoff's from the rocks. Using a heavier mono will help prevent some of the cutoff's.

Ambassadorhawg
04-10-2009, 06:42 AM
I would consider your rig a "medium" to "medium-heavy" set up by today's standards. Perfect for Ling-a-dings.

Light tackle rockfish rigs can only really be applied to shallower waters like less than 125'.
I have fished 12 pound in 300' before when it's flat calm but it is scary thinking of what you might hook and end up losing.

For light tackle, I fish 14-15 pound test on an 8' foot plastics rod. But I only use that in about 100' feet or less which you generally fish in from the Channel Islands on North.

I do use a 20 pound rig for 6 ounce jigs in up to about 180', though. From then on, I move up to 30-40 pound rigs.

SamFisher
04-10-2009, 10:50 AM
We used to do a monthly shallow water rockcod trip where we would first load up on
rockcod then anyone interested would enter a light line jackpot. At first, we used
12# test then we made it more challenging. We ended up using 4# test just to make
it more interesting. Eventually, we hooked more fish and we landed the majority of
them...just take your time, set your drag and you will bring them in.

We got the idea from fishing shallow water at San Simeon. The deckhands told us
about their shallow water tournaments and we just duplicated it in Ventura for our
charters.

SamFisher

Ifishtoolittle
04-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the reccomendations guys.