PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Brown vs Blackwater

mstr fish
04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Was wondering if any one is using these or one of? Looking for the pros and cons of the hollow spectra. What has got my attention (not the price ) is the fact that you can join it to your top shot with no knot which should be easy enough for me to do (I think). I got to talk to the guys from Blackwater at the Fred hall show and they showed me the connection. For me it was impressive compared to the Power Pro (which is going in the trash) and the izor (no knott) I have on my MXJ's. What I am looking to do is this. I am going on a Tony Reyes trip in May and I need to fill some reels. What would you do and why?
2 Mxj's flylining (topped with 20-30)
1 JX 6/3 For tossing iron (flylining?) (40 topshot)
1 HX for the troll and dropper loop (60 topshot)
Thanks for your input and time......................................fish:dun no:

fuj
04-09-2009, 12:23 AM
I've been playing around with hollow Spectra for a few years now. I do mono insertion into hollow Spectra for 40# mono and up, depending on the application. Below 40#, I don't think it's necessary, and may even be problematic.

For your MXJ's with 20# - 30# mono, I'd use 50# solid Spectra and connect the mono with your favorite knot - Albright, Reverse Albright, Tony Pena, back-to-back uni, etc. For the JX 6/3, if it's going to be strictly a surface iron tosser, I'd go with ~300 yards of 65# solid, which should leave room for about 100 yards of 40# mono. That way you likely won't be casting into your Spectra. When casting irons, it's better you backlash or tweak the mono and not the Spectra. Spectra has low shock strength and will weaken considerably or break surprisingly easily if subjected to violent and/or repeated shock that the backlashed cast of an iron can cause. For 40# flylining and the 60# rig, knot or insertion - your choice. It's a matter of how comfortable and proficient you are with managing hollow Spectra. It may look easy to do at the Fred Hall booth, but will you be able to do it on a boat rocking on the water? Are you prepared to spend the extra cost for hollow Spectra compared to solid (especially if Blackwater is your braid of choice)? Don't forget the tools needed to make the insertion connection. If you decide to use wind-ons, are you willing to pay $10 and up for a single wind-on? If you're good with all that, great! Hollow Spectra does make for nice, neat, sano connections that are reliable to boot. But it does require a considerable investment of time and money to do it right. Some folks won't find the return on the investment to be worth the cost.

tunafisherman
04-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I like Izorline spectra most of the long range guy use Izorline hollow and run the top shot up about 2 feet and crip it and then a dot of glue. Great set up and can do it fast. Good luck on your trip make sure you take lot of iron with you heavy and light.

mstr fish
04-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it..........................fish