PDA

View Full Version : Worthy Rockfish rig?

PChance76
04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm going on a rockfish trip on the Pacific Dawn out of Ventura Friday. I've never been. I thought I might bring along my Shimano TMC80 Teramar Jig/Bait rod with an Avet Sx two speed reel. The rod is a medium heavy rated for 15-30LB and 3/4 to 3 oz. lure weight.

Will this work well for both fishing with bait as well as using Irons/jigs?

soulsurfer
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I got a crappy as$ penn 309 and an old broomstick...works for me. BTW, the 309 is perfect for rockfishing. low gear [3.1] and most importantly..level wind [prevents thumb cramps]. I do like the broomstick because it can handle 12 oz torpedo weight/jax jigs with ease.

What you have should work too....

victor101
04-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm going on a rockfish trip on the Pacific Dawn out of Ventura Friday. I've never been. I thought I might bring along my Shimano TMC80 Teramar Jig/Bait rod with an Avet Sx two speed reel. The rod is a medium heavy rated for 15-30LB and 3/4 to 3 oz. lure weight.

Will this work well for both fishing with bait as well as using Irons/jigs?

It wouldnt be my prefered setup...remember ur gonna be dropping at least 8oz of lead 200+ feet deep...I use a tekota 600/700 and a mh 6.5', 7' rod

Ricky-Ray
04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
The 2 speed SX should be ok if your loaded with spectra. You can fish in high gear when the captain tells you to wind up so he can make a move. If you've hooked onto fish then pop it in low for the slow grind back up to the surface. Fish like a 8-10ft mono leader of 30# and you should have enough mono on there to setup a double dropper loop rig. Make sure you have 8-16oz sinkers. The rod might be a bit wimpy for the heavy sinkers. If you have a heavier setup I'd recommend using a heavier setup instead.

Ideally up in the channel islands area if your fishing 200ft or deeper you'd want to have something around a 30-40# setup for rockfishing.

victor101
04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
The 2 speed SX should be ok if your loaded with spectra. You can fish in high gear when the captain tells you to wind up so he can make a move. If you've hooked onto fish then pop it in low for the slow grind back up to the surface. Fish like a 8-10ft mono leader of 30# and you should have enough mono on there to setup a double dropper loop rig. Make sure you have 8-16oz sinkers. The rod might be a bit wimpy for the heavy sinkers. If you have a heavier setup I'd recommend using a heavier setup instead.

Ideally up in the channel islands area if your fishing 200ft or deeper you'd want to have something around a 30-40# setup for rockfishing.

I agree....if ur on a budget...see if big 5 has any deals on rods. The sabre rods they sell make pretty good rockfish rods. If they dont have any on special, u can hit up Osiito. He still has a couple for sale i think...

Ricky-Ray
04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Check out the classifieds on BD. I just saw a couple of sick deals on some great rods.

PChance76
04-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys. It looks like I'll be pulling out the broom stick.