PDA

View Full Version : Open Water

Marley
04-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Not too long from now, a lot of us will make our way to Bishop and beyond for the celebration of another trout season opener. I haven't seen a thing about the condition of lakes and streams. Anyone know what's open, what's opening and what expects to be fishable some opening day? I remember a number of years ago Crowley being iced up until two days prior to opening day. Anything like that this year? Thanks in advance.

Sierra_Smitty
04-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Not too long from now, a lot of us will make our way to Bishop and beyond for the celebration of another trout season opener. I haven't seen a thing about the condition of lakes and streams. Anyone know what's open, what's opening and what expects to be fishable some opening day? I remember a number of years ago Crowley being iced up until two days prior to opening day. Anything like that this year? Thanks in advance.

Good to hear from you Marley!

Crowley has been relatively ice free for some. Intake II is ice free. South Lake and Sabrina are frozen but I haven't been up to see how frozen. There isn't a whole lot of snow at Parchers right now which means that access in the Bishop Creek Canyon should be excellent for the opener (barring any surprise storms which wouldn't be unheard of). Can't speak for Mammoth, June or Bridgeport.

peace,
smitty

Marley
04-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Yay! Thanks, Jared.

Smells_Fishy
04-09-2009, 10:28 AM
I can't wait for the opener. Heading up to Crowley with a large group in about 10 RV's and trailers. I have been hearing that Crowley has been ice free for a while now. I hope that the lakes being ice free so early makes fishing better than it was last year. Any opinions on this?

Joel

P.S., Been lurking a couple of years and finally decided to join up!

Seatech
04-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I was up this past week snowboarding with the kids in Mammoth.

We made a few side trips to check things out.

Bass ponds are looking good

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/500/sr1.jpg

Convict was ice free and they were setting up the docks when we were there.

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/500/sr2.jpg

Saw lots of these things in the lakes and streams we visited.

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/500/sr3.jpg

They were hungry every place we stopped and saw fish. The kids were tossing small pebbles to see the trout charge and eat the stones!

Left yesterday as Mammoth was getting another nice dump of snow.

Ed

Big Country
04-09-2009, 03:13 PM
doesn't matter how you fish crowley on the opener, you'll catch fish.

Junior
04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
On my end of the Sierras, Both Twins are open, Bridgeport Res is very low but open, the entire June Lake loop is ice free. Grant Lake is extremely low. Im not sure about the Virgina Lakes drainage yet, havent been up there.
All of the marinas in the areas (Crowley, June loop, Bridgeport, Upper/Lower Twin) are looking to be up and running. Water levels are going to be the main concern all over this side of the Sierras this year. See everyone up here in a couple weeks.

Junior
04-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I can't wait for the opener. Heading up to Crowley with a large group in about 10 RV's and trailers. I have been hearing that Crowley has been ice free for a while now. I hope that the lakes being ice free so early makes fishing better than it was last year. Any opinions on this?

Joel

P.S., Been lurking a couple of years and finally decided to join up!

Hey Joel, nice to meet you, I am one of Tanaka's friends from the Bridgeport area.

Crowley can be a picky lake, time of year, water temp and level, weather, tackle, amount of pressure, etc. can all effect your success. In my opinion the longer the ice on the lake, the better the fishing in the early weeks of the season. With the ice over the lake, fish tend to be less active in the colder water. As the ice thaws the fish become more active in their feeding patterns. The fishing pressure can be another issue on Crowley. Regardless, you still should have a great opener, but sometimes its not as easy as some make it out to be. PM me and ill get you some more info on it, hopefully get you on some more/nice fish this year.

Junior

BigGameHunter
04-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Sounds like it will be a nice opener. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BHG

Hunt4Fish
04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
I saw an large ad today from the DWP in the Orange County Register that stated the mussle inspections will be enforced again like last year, it only mentioned boats, does anyone know if float tubes are exempt ?

Does anyone know the water level of Crowley?

Hey Serria Smitty...do you have an ice report yet for South lake?

Thanks guys!!!!!
Hunt4Fish

Smells_Fishy
04-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey Junior nice to meet you. I sent you a P.M.

Sierra_Smitty
04-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey Serria Smitty...do you have an ice report yet for South lake?

Thanks guys!!!!!
Hunt4Fish

It's frozen but I don't have an ice depth yet. I'm going to try and make it up there with the auger on Friday to see what we're looking at. I heard from someone today that Virginia Lakes has 2ft of ice - which surprised me...but if that's accurate, South Lake probably has about the same as we're similar in elevation.

More info when I have it......

Koshaw
04-15-2009, 06:28 AM
Any idear when it will melt supposedly or whats normal?

I plan to be up there May 22-27 :D