PDA

View Full Version : Float tube?

FINSMACKDOWN
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
What is a good float tube and waders you recomend? Oh ya that wont break the bank
thanks

joe man
04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I use a Caddis Nevada which has served me well and for a price that fit my budget. I know the fishcat 4 keeps you higher in the water and is a superior tube but it shows in the price. I also have a pair of White River Fly Shop waders from BPS (breathable) that did not break the bank and seam to be well made. They are niether top of the line but both are worth the price if you are looking to spend as little as possible while getting a product that is reliable.

DEADROOTS
04-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Any breathable wader would do fine, you want breathable because in the summer you can go in tour underwear and when it is cold you could wear sweat pants, and I use the Fish Cat 4 and I love it and so does everyone I've asked!

Fish Cat 4 (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat360010&id=0052633320290a&navCount=5&podId=0052633&parentId=cat360010&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true)

waders (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0068665831183a&type=product&cmCat=perf&rid=0180101070502&cm_mmc=Performics-_-CSE-_-yahoo-_-02780679&mr:referralID=70148c26-23c2-11de-bd57-000423bb4e79)

goodguy
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I use a Caddis Nevada which has served me well and for a price that fit my budget. I know the fishcat 4 keeps you higher in the water and is a superior tube but it shows in the price. I also have a pair of White River Fly Shop waders from BPS (breathable) that did not break the bank and seam to be well made. They are niether top of the line but both are worth the price if you are looking to spend as little as possible while getting a product that is reliable.

I also have the caddis nevada and can't say anything bad about it... Love it! Very reasonably priced also!

Lightning
04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I have 3 Caddis Nevadas & they've worked fine for me.Check on ebay or craigslist & if you have some time,you can find a good deal on both items.Good luck.

LBSea
04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
The best for the money right now is ODC420 from Creek Company. Go to their web site and you can get one delivered to your door for $149.00 + $20.00 Freight tax included. Next keep an eye on Sports Authority for Hodgeman Breathable Waders. Get the green ones with the front pocket NOT tan ones. These are $99.00 for green & $79.00 for tan but the are ALWAYS going on sale marked down 25% which makes the green pair a great deal. Stay away from the tan pair at Tuner's, they are crap. Finally make sure to get something to cover the neoprene booties or they WILL leak in a mater of a few trips from your fins rubbing on them. I got wader boots from Sports Authority for $25.00. Contrary to what people say or think the wader boots will float and are not heavy in the least when in the water and are great for the treks across DG trails, Gravel roads, Asphalt parking lots, Rock Jettys, Etc...

Reasons for ODC420 - 1. Two bladders vs. one with in some of the tubes so if one leaks when you are on the water you will still make it back to shore. 2. Boston Valves for inflating and deflating FAST. 3. They are easy to inflate one the water with the help of a plastic hose if you have a slow leak. Each side has the valve in the storage pocket for easy access on the water vs. Fat Cat & Fish Cat which are all the way behind you or the Caddis Navigator which on mime was on the bottom and under water. 4. When you do get a hole in a bladder, which you will if you plan on tubing often, you can just send in that one bladder as they pull out of the tube easily vs. Fat Cat which I believe you have to send in the whole tube for repairs FedEx fees would be a lot. 5. This tube sits much higher than a caddis navigator or similar u tube or pontoon style tubes which will make all the difference in the world if you are in the ocean or somewhere where there is a little chop or swell. The V shape of this tube and others like it make a big difference when kicking against current or wind or just a long journey. 6. For the price it is the best out there and the 300 lb. weight capacity is second only to a few much more expensive tubes. 7. The open space behind your seat where the tube comes to a V can be used to store your catch on a game clip or throw the empty cans or bottles, just don't put anthing you want to stay dry there like a cloths, a cell phone or camera in a back pack, etc..

Trust me I have been tubing for over 10 yrs and have had and tried most of the other tubes. My current tube has been used mostly in the ocean and has lasted me over 4 yrs. I have had to send in three bladders for exchange but it is at not cost other than freight and the guy at Creek Co "PK" is total cool and has kicked me down with swag each time he has sent a new bladder back to me. That may seem like I have had trouble with the bladders but in reality I tube at least 1 time a week so that totals over 200 trips with only three bladders ever replaced. Turn around time is usually less than two weeks. This tube has a life time warranty with very few questions asked. The Fat Cat has a 5 yr warranty and costs close to $400.00. My buddy left his in the sun one day and although the bladder did not pop it over inflated and blew out a seam in the stiching of the tube itself and NO QUESTIONS were asked, he was sent a BRAND NEW tube!

Happy Tubing!
Doug

Socal Bassman
04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I use the Fish Cat 4 and absolutely love it. Bought it on sale for $129 at Sport Chalet. Mine is the older model, not the LCS model. I've had it for two years and no complaints yet. I don't have any experience with the ODC 420, but for $149 that makes it a great buy.

As for waders, I use a pair of Finley River waders. For the price, they work good for me. I agree with getting a pair of wader boots or neoprene boots to protect the stockingfoot booties. I use a pair of World Wide Sportsman Flats boots from Bass Pro, which cost $25.

basssturd
04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
I couldnt agree more on the odc 420 ive had mine for 5 years and love it, and if you have any problems with it contact odc and they will take care of it cost free , Ive over inflated mine which caused leakage and split seams as well and the customer service at odc sent me a brand new cover and blatter (new tube) cost free all within 1 week. Excellent products and service.

BIGRED KILLA
04-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Fish Cat is the way to go.

Bigred

HelloBendo420
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
just ordered the 420 from creek company. 1st float tube ever!:Razz::Razz:

thanks for the reviews fellas!!

joe man
04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't think you can go wrong there it was just a little more than I like to throw around. Good luck hope to see you on the water.

Skyler
04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Or if you want to cover more water, you can get one of these. No waders required, and it tops out at about 5 mph if you are in good shape. Fully deflatable, and it costs about the same as a float tube...

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1782/1001019v.jpg

Captain Castaic
04-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Fish Cat 4 LCS

As far as the waders go...I use and love the Hodgeman neoprene for overall satisfaction. They are only 69.00 dollars abd I have used them for years. In the summer...who needs "breathable" when you can go in your shorts!

Just my 2 cents.

C.C.

FINSMACKDOWN
04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
thanks for all your help guys.

smokinflies
04-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Any breathable wader would do fine, you want breathable because in the summer you can go in tour underwear and when it is cold you could wear sweat pants, and I use the Fish Cat 4 and I love it and so does everyone I've asked!

i would go with the fish cat 4. i've been thinking about getting a tube too, so i've been asking around about them and everyone that owns a fish cat 4 say that they're great. one of the great things about them is the height of the seating position. you're body is not halfway into the water which makes casting easier.

DEADROOTS
04-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Fish Cat 4 LCS

As far as the waders go...I use and love the Hodgeman neoprene for overall satisfaction. They are only 69.00 dollars abd I have used them for years. In the summer...who needs "breathable" when you can go in your shorts!

Just my 2 cents.

C.C.

Shorts feel good without a doubt, but I get nervous when soaking my private package in dirty water conditions. Does anyone know if the water in all these Reservoirs could harm your skin? Bacterias or anything?

Nessie Hunter
04-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Shorts feel good without a doubt, but I get nervous when soaking my private package in dirty water conditions. Does anyone know if the water in all these Reservoirs could harm your skin? Bacterias or anything?

I have had some terrible bites when the mayflies?? are spawning at Silverwood (late Spring/early Summer).
The spawn or whatever it is?? only lasts a week or two...
The bites are at water level on upper legs/knees.
Like a Mosquito bite, but last a week or more and make ya nuts they itch so bad....
Think they are laying eggs under the skin???

Other then that, never had any problem with Freshwater or Saltwater without waders....
My junk hasnt fallen off yet???!!!!!! :ROFL: