PDA

View Full Version : Bishop 4/5-4/6

SeaSick17
04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Ok hit up Bishop for some of the great action everyone has been talking about on here. So here it is. Either everyone is full of SH*T on here or the fishing just sucked for 3 days. We fished the river up and down, PVR all over. Threw everything we had at them. Total fish for 3 days, 5 bows and 1 brown. Didnt see many people catching much. Except the power bait baby killers. Cant believe people keep 6 inch trout. Well I guess if I wanted to catch n kill I should have used power bait but thats not my style. But anyhow the brown I caught was on the lower owens, in the wild trout section. Pics to be coming soon.

Sierra_Smitty
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Sounds pretty brutal. I'm not sure what the trout bite is like right now cuz I've been fishing bass for the last few weeks but we did catch a few decent trout today on accident fishin texas rigged plastics....must have really slowed down. Hopefully its better for my buddies who are coming up tomorrow morning. I'm wondering if the great turnout for the derby put a major dent in the amount of fish available.....more C&R would fix that problem.

SeaSick17
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
the river had a ton of fish just below PVR but nothing was biting. Heard there is a storm heading in tomorrow, hope your buddies have better luck then we did. Where were you bass fishing?

Sierra_Smitty
04-06-2009, 09:35 PM
the river had a ton of fish just below PVR but nothing was biting. Heard there is a storm heading in tomorrow, hope your buddies have better luck then we did. Where were you bass fishing?

Some of the canals around here have bass - nothing big, but it's bass and it's close.

retired96
04-06-2009, 10:14 PM
It could be the fact that the DWP raised the flows from 100 cfs to 150 cfs on Sat. Whenever they raise the flows the fishing turns off for a few days.

fishing_addict
04-07-2009, 08:10 AM
It could be the fact that the DWP raised the flows from 100 cfs to 150 cfs on Sat. Whenever they raise the flows the fishing turns off for a few days.

Was this one of DWP's simulated "floods"? I'm heading up there next week and am going to have a fit if there is no bite. I have seen that DFG plants the Owens every other week (according to their online planting schedule). This current week there was no stocking scheduled but I'm hoping next week they drop 'em in.:Neutral:

Eat Sleep Fish
04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
This week, PVR is getting a stocking of trout. One thing to remember this time of year is that fish are going deeper. The days are longer which means more sun which means warmer water. You can find activity in the shallows early morning, but after about 8-9 am fish the deeper pools. Also, WORK WORK WORK the river. You'll come across some good spots just south of Line Street. With all the pressure the popular areas get (PVR, the main bridges on the lower-O) it is important to work that roughly 15 mile stretch of river from the Laws Bridge on down towards Big Pine. Collins road area wouldn't be a bad idea either. Fairly easy access and a couple big deeper pools.

Either way, good luck out there.

-ESF

SeaSick17
04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Tried collins road and it sucked. Water was filthy

Eat Sleep Fish
04-07-2009, 10:01 AM

im not only talking about the main pool right by the road. there are a couple of good, bigger, yes bigger pools, around the collins road area. only accessible by foot. always have fish in them, ALWAYS. the water is a bit clearer also. that main pool is almost always stained pretty good.

i wont give away any info on as to where the other pools are because thats half the fun of fishing....exploring, thats how i found em!

good luck!

Sierra_Smitty
04-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Was this one of DWP's simulated "floods"? I'm heading up there next week and am going to have a fit if there is no bite. I have seen that DFG plants the Owens every other week (according to their online planting schedule). This current week there was no stocking scheduled but I'm hoping next week they drop 'em in.:Neutral:

My friend saw the truck in town today - usually means they're out planting the river or the res.

Sierra_Smitty
04-07-2009, 11:50 AM

With flows constantly changing, the water in the owens almost always looks like that....water clarity doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the bite though.

retired96
04-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Last March I was in Bishop for 5 days. The river level was perfect and the fishing was outstanding. On my 4th day the DWP raised the level almost 200cfs and the fishing went from great to terrible. Water was dirty with lots of debris flowing.

Its that time of year where DWP will raise the water level for the snowmelt. 600 cfs is considered flood stage and darn near impossible to fish.

Hopefully because there hasn't been a huge snow year, maybe the DWP won't let the river run with massive flows like they did in 2006 where it ran 600-800 for almost 9 months.