PDA

View Full Version : float tube help?

lilmystery246
04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
first of all how old do you have to be to get on a float tube? can we stand on the float tube? does the wind drift me around? is there anchors for float tubes? am i better of with a pontoon?

Flying
04-06-2009, 07:53 PM
first of all how old do you have to be to get on a float tube? can we stand on the float tube? does the wind drift me around? is there anchors for float tubes? am i better of with a pontoon?

No age limit.

No.

Yes it can. I call it drift fishing.

Yes.

Thats personal preference.

Nessie Hunter
04-07-2009, 07:36 AM
first of all how old do you have to be to get on a float tube?

can we stand on the float tube?

does the wind drift me around?

is there anchors for float tubes?

am i better of with a pontoon?

No age limit...
I do believe that if your UNDER 16?? you have to wear the PFD at all times???

I havnt figure out a way to stand up yet... Have never had a need to either.

Yes, current and wind will cause Drift, just like any watercraft. Your fins are always in the water and its easy to stay in one place..

I have never felt the need for an anchor, just something else to mess with and get in the way. I fish the bays often, constant wind & strong currents, no problems, and Im old...

Pontoon?? Not for me, to much hassle to set up and transport, and much larger SAIL for the wind to push around..

Other then not being able to travel long distances rapidly on the water. Float Tubing is the perfect fishing machine...I wouldnt trade my Tube for any other type of watercraft,, Period!!!!!

Try to set up a meet with a Tuber and try theirs out... Youll love it..

Socal Bassman
04-07-2009, 09:33 PM
No age limit.

I haven't tried standing on mine.

Yes, the wind will drift you around. But as you learn to control your tube with your fins, it's not too bad and doesn't take long to develop a good kicking technique.

Yes, there are anchors for a float tube. But, I haven't found a reason where I would need one.

Pontoon? I'd like to own one because they make a great platform for customization. However, portability is not as easy as a tube. I complain now trying to carry my 14lb. tube + all my junk down to the water and back. The average toon weighs 45+lbs. without tackle.

lilmystery246
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
thanks guys =] hopefully if i get 1 some1 will teach me the basics?

GeordyBass
04-09-2009, 04:33 PM
thanks guys =] hopefully if i get 1 some1 will teach me the basics?You should PM DEADROOTS,,,:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Skyler
04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Funny you should mention standing on a float tube. It is possible. I've done it in my swimming pool, lol. But it's a lot like surfing, and doesn't lend itself to well to casting and retrieving. Just staying on your feet becomes quite a chore. I've tryed ststanding on my kayak too, only to end up on my rear in the water, lol. Getting up on my knees is pretty doable though.

dorado13
04-09-2009, 06:42 PM
No age limit...

Yes, current and wind will cause Drift, just like any watercraft. Your fins are always in the water and its easy to stay in one place..

I have never felt the need for an anchor, just something else to mess with and get in the way. I fish the bays often, constant wind & strong currents, no problems, and Im old...

Pontoon?? Not for me, to much hassle to set up and transport, and much larger SAIL for the wind to push around..

Other then not being able to travel long distances rapidly on the water. Float Tubing is the perfect fishing machine...I wouldnt trade my Tube for any other type of watercraft,, Period!!!!!

Nessie Hunter you got father time by a decade you old fart!! Go with a float tube you wont be sorry. I have an ODC 420 Outdoor Discovery Craft and love it there on sale $149 plus del. http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=103&Department=Float+Tubes

DEADROOTS
04-09-2009, 09:38 PM
You should PM DEADROOTS,,,:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

:ROFL: I have never stood on my float tube! Just use flippers and you'll be fine.:Beer Toast:

Nessie Hunter
04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Nessie Hunter you got father time by a decade you old fart!!

:ROFL::ROFL:

And I still out fish your young arss...... :ROFL:
And that slacker Jeff also.....

Whats up?? Been way to long buddy.......

thepuma
04-10-2009, 09:04 AM
No age limit...

Totally Agree with Nessie. Your fins are always in the water keeping position, adjusting and the whole time you are fishing. You never have to stop fishing to move. Yes traveling long distance in a short amount of time is much harder. Fighting the tide in a harbor can be tough sometimes when you are going against it. I have been float tubing since the early 90's and I think it is one of the best companions for fishing. Even when you go with a group, you can do your own thing without affecting everyone else.
BTW.IMO. you wouldn't want or need to stand up. It's like sitting in a barcalounger to watch TV. Very comfortable so why would you want to stand to watch TV.

GeordyBass
04-14-2009, 11:33 PM
:ROFL: I have never stood on my float tube! Just use flippers and you'll be fine.:Beer Toast:

Yoooooo!LOL....whats the biggest outboard u can put on a tube?Would hydrofoils help me get on plane easier?And....should I install a bilge pump in it???

Goofy4fish
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Your right Nessie, don't let them young wipper snappers push us old guys around.

Goofy4fish