PDA

View Full Version : Please help a newbie.

Fish Bouncer
04-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Well I won a local trout derby and my prize was a 1/2 day trip and Pierpoint Landing southern cal. I have never been saltwater fishing. When is a good time to go my passes are good for a year. Also any tips would be nice. Really appreciate all the help possible thanks in advance.

samgann93
04-05-2009, 05:04 PM
keep checking the fish counts. wait till the cuda show up. throw blue and white jigs and have a blast.

Ricky-Ray
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Summertime would be a great option. Sand bass and barracuda's are usually around during the summer making for good 1/2 day action. Who know's you might even get into a yellowtail.

dorado13
04-05-2009, 05:39 PM
keep checking the fish counts. wait till the cuda show up. throw blue and white jigs and have a blast.

Exactly what samgann93 said but trust me on this go on a weekday if possible they call them cattle boats for a reason!!!!!!!

Ambassadorhawg
04-05-2009, 06:39 PM
To avoid weekend crowds, go on a WEEKDAY in July or August. That is when Sand bass and or Barracuda will be biting which are both alot of fun to catch.

Half day boats like the So Cal usually do 2 trips each day, a morning departure and an afternoon departure. Usually, the morning run is the better choice, but definatley WATCH THE REPORTS at this link:

http://biteson.com/newlandings.html

Have fun!!!

JapanRon
04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi Fish Bounce,

In order that your trip be a positive one (not talking about the catching) I concur on NOT taking a Fri/Sat/Sun trip. The least frustrating would be a Sandbass trip .... especially if you don't have SW gear but have some HD FW (15 to 30lb-test setup) gear you could use. Going on a boat with a hot Barracuda bite might be great for the experienced but ....... for a first timer .... I'd like to see you make more SW trips so ....... don't want you to get a bad impression first time out. Jig slinging, hot rails, fish flying .... pretty intense sometimes.

Lots of great guys here. I'd suggest that you hook up with someone here that might take a little time to show you the ropes. There are regulars here that go every week the same day so you can plan things that way too.

Why not ask more questions (especially on tackle) on the general board for details?

JapanRon